Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dreaded "Vehicle may not restart" error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a proactive call from service manager saying it needs to be done and we have the “part” in stock. It only takes a few hours.

COOL! approx hoe long after creating
service event thru tesla app?

weird thing, don’t know if it’s related?
battery SoC this AM was 85%, now @
16:00 it’s 78% w/only unplugging and
replugging into home 240v charger?!?

1 - 2 weeks. Then another week delay while the SC moved to a new better location. It will work out.
1 - 2 weeks. Then another week delay while the SC moved to a new better location. It will work out.

thx for words of experience!
I know all will be fine,
service comm only being
a 1 way street isn’t reassuring!

now, try and not fear a trip to grocery
while waiting for a call....

Reactions: pipestem
results!

upon delivery they didn't believe the
drive unit required replacement...
2 days of diagnosis and that was fix!

in on MON, done on THURs afternoon
Drive Unit - Rear (Remove & Replace)
ASY, P-TRAIN, RMN, 3DU-Rear
840 MOSFET(1521365- 1.000-A)

when queried, tech mentioned drive units
are specific to performance versions or
regular AWD/RWD and model numbers
have changed over time?

• Informative
Reactions: pipestem
Received my car back today. No longer have the 980 RDU. New drive unit is 1521365-00-A. Anyone know what the difference is? Drive home seemed more efficient per Wh..

From what I've seen so far, the failed 980s are being replaced with: [ ASY, P-TRAIN, RMN, 3DU-Rear 840 MOSFET(1521365-00-A)]. From my research, this seems to be a remanufactured equivalent to the 980, or just simply a remanufactured 980. Someone can correct me on that. Another observation is that
this is no longer listed in the catalog.

Instead you'll see this: ASY, REMAN, 3DU-Rear 800 MOSFET - No Ground Strap 1521365-00-B which I'm guessing is a remanufactured 990 motor. This is also listed in the Model Y catalog and they are now coming with the 990 motor.

So it's very likely your replacement was a remanufactured 980.Hopefully, someone in the know can backup or refute this.

If this continues, we'll be pre-emptively buying Tesla-size 12 volt batteries in the hood. It's going to be like taxi meters in NYC, where taxi operators would buy stolen taxi meters, stolen from other (sometimes even their own) cars.

And what was that blurb about dual motor being so safe, you'll never get stranded because the car can run on one motor just fine?

Last edited:
If this continues, we'll be pre-emptively buying Tesla-size 12 volt batteries in the hood. It's going to be like taxi meters in NYC, where taxi operators would buy stolen taxi meters, stolen from other (sometimes even their own) cars.

And what was that blurb about dual motor being so safe, you'll never get stranded because the car can run on one motor just fine?

I agree major design flaw/weak link. They should allow 12 V lighter adapter "jump" starting. Maybe they can thru firmware on day

Reactions: Callawayc7
I think that being about 2 years out with the Model 3, there have been relatively few unplanned maintenance needs and gotchas discovered. Nobody knew some things. Like how hard FSD would turn out to be. The tires only lasting 2 years and the 12 volt battery failures seem to be the main surprises, and not big ones. Checking the brake fluid for water after 2 years and tire rotations are standard, and low cost. Major parts or assembly failures that cause the dreaded "vehicle may not start" are probably below industry average in frequency.

Last edited:
You're literally sitting on a huge battery, but yet need a separate source to jump the car when the 12-volt dies. They need to design a failover mechanism for when this happens; one where a voltage regulator / switch of some sort automatically kicks in to provide the necessary voltage to start the car until the battery is replaced.

results!

upon delivery they didn't believe the
drive unit required replacement...
2 days of diagnosis and that was fix!

in on MON, done on THURs afternoon
Drive Unit - Rear (Remove & Replace)
ASY, P-TRAIN, RMN, 3DU-Rear
840 MOSFET(1521365- 1.000-A)

when queried, tech mentioned drive units
are specific to performance versions or
regular AWD/RWD and model numbers
have changed over time?

Glad it worked out , but I would have been stressing over three days there. Do you notice any difference driving?

oh, I was stressed! txt'd a few times
got the standard "we're looking at data"
answers with basically ZERO factual info.

funny thing was, everyone at service was
convinced it wasn't RDU when I pulled in,
after determining it was RDU, they acted
like we knew it all the time???

definitely compartmentalizing info,
need to know only!

since replacement, everything has been
normal, normal! I haven't paid attention to
the req'd kwh usage as others have, really
never did before either, I bought performance
not for economy or efficiency.

So I just got this same exact message today in my Tesla Model 3 performance. Its 2 years old with 67k miles on it so far with the original 12V battery. I was over 220 miles away from home when this happened and I didn't want to risk stopping my car again at the risk being stranded so far away from home, so I drove attempted to drive straight back home to the only Tesla service center in my city. Thankfully I made it with 5% left. And when I tried to shift it into drive again it struggled to get into drive and displayed a bunch of messaged like "waiting to restart vehicle..."
Hopefully I'll find out what's going on when the service center opens on Monday.

I have 2018 M3 LR RWD. Got this dreaded message while I was about to stop my car on a Stop sign: BMS_a035 Vehicle may not restart”. This was Oct/28.

I freaked out, and put that error message to the test: stopped on the side and reset the system. The message disappeared and got replaced with: “VCFRONT_a192 Electrical System powered reduced”. Then it disappeared.

Later I got the first message several times again, then disappeared. I tried to book a service appointment on Oct/29, and the closest appointment was Dec/11.

The car drives fine now without the error message. I am very hesitant to drive straight to the SC because its far and I never got the best experience from them. Tried texting them to speed it up, no response.

I have 2018 M3 LR RWD. Got this dreaded message while I was about to stop my car on a Stop sign: BMS_a035 Vehicle may not restart”. This was Oct/28.

I freaked out, and put that error message to the test: stopped on the side and reset the system. The message disappeared and got replaced with: “VCFRONT_a192 Electrical System powered reduced”. Then it disappeared.

Later I got the first message several times again, then disappeared. I tried to book a service appointment on Oct/29, and the closest appointment was Dec/11.

The car drives fine now without the error message. I am very hesitant to drive straight to the SC because its far and I never got the best experience from them. Tried texting them to speed it up, no response.
Can you check the Voltage on that 12v battery?

Fred

Regarding the 12V battery status - can't it be load tested like any other ICE battery?

Here in Phoenix, 12V batteries die in 2 years +/- like clockwork (underhood conditions + outside environment). I would think heat would not be an issue with a Tesla so that's a good thing.

Does the 12V run all the computers, display, convenience, etc? If that is the case, then is the 12V only "recharged" when plugged in or does some system with/from the drive battery recharge the 12V?

Not an owner (yet) but am curious about this as I come from a family that has owned a garage for 3 generations, so battery swaps are no big deal to me.

Lastly, is it a dying battery that damages the drive unit or are two unrelated issues being talked about here?

Thx

They just texted me to drop my vehicle at the SC. I got a loaner Model S as they expect it to take 2-3 days in the shop and he told me there are some recalls too. If any is still interested and I am not talking to myself here, I can post an update on the fixes they did once they are done with it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Apone