Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dream factory?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's what I'd like to see in the model 3. Jetta handling with corolla reliability. Very few bells and whistles.....heated seats would be nice. With the option of a bigger battery. For range, not performance. A car that the "average Joe" can afford to buy and own. After all, isn't that what Mr. Musk is aiming for? An electric vehicle in every garage?

Here's what I'd like to see in the model 3. Jetta handling with corolla reliability. Very few bells and whistles.....heated seats would be nice. With the option of a bigger battery. For range, not performance. A car that the "average Joe" can afford to buy and own. After all, isn't that what Mr. Musk is aiming for? An electric vehicle in every garage?

No. Model 3 is squarely aimed at the BMW 3 series. Go look at the options and pricing available there to get an idea of what Model 3 will compete with (and end up really costing). Base price come hell or high water will be very close to the stated $35K however most people don't order cars with base features...

If you factor in gasoline savings, as Tesla should focus on as the "message" with that car, it will be very affordable for most people.

What I'd like to see is a good value in the base car. The obvious items are power windows, remote locks, keyless entry & start (duh), Bluetooth calling & audio. Mobile app functions (state of charge, climate control preset, etc.), LED lighting throughout (this isn't as exotic as it once was. The Corolla has LED headlights standard). All those items are commoditized enough that they shouldn't add too much to the cost. Only when you start adding stuff like remote parking and pickup, dual motors, panoramic roof, and other stuff that the price starts going up. The advantage with Tesla (at least using the Model S as reference) is that a lot of capabilities are built-in, and activated by software updates. But some of the functions require hardware changes, and that's where things can start to get expensive.

Last edited:
igotzzoom, you are so right. Some standard features such as those you mentioned should be expected for the price range. Perhaps one they could work in, because they already have computers on board, would be a programmable heat/cool timer to warm/cool the car several minutes before you come out to the car.

igotzzoom, you are so right. Some standard features such as those you mentioned should be expected for the price range. Perhaps one they could work in, because they already have computers on board, would be a programmable heat/cool timer to warm/cool the car several minutes before you come out to the car.

That's kind of what I was alluding to with the climate control preset. No reason you couldn't include seat cooling/heating on models so equipped, activated or controlled by mobile app.