TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Drilled and Slotted performance brake rotor for Model 3?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by hdAge, Aug 4, 2018.

1. hdAge

hdAge Member

While I'm waiting for my Performance Model 3, I'm trying to see if there is anyone out there that have made Performance "drilled and slotted" brake rotor yet? I have only found slotted so far.

1. Mountain Pass has a 2-piece slotted rotor for ~$1050. Would cost ~$2100 for front and rear set. These look good but are just slotted and I'm looking for drilled and slotted.
    MPP 320mm Front 2 Piece Rotor PRE-ORDER

2. Found another one from EVTunning, this is slotted too
    Model 3 MPP Front Brake Rotor Upgrade

3. Unplugged seemed to be the only one having a drilled rotor, but it is carbon ceramic and obviously costs $$$ (~$9k)
    Unplugged Performance Superlight Carbon Ceramic Brake Kit for Model 3

Could not find any by either Brembo or StopTech.

Here is a snapshot of what I'm looking for. If anyone is looking for something similar and managed to find a product, please let me know.
    sport-drilled-slotted-rotors.jpg

2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

What does this get you ? Based on the RT article on track mode ..looks like the car is taking care of the braking mainly thru modulating Power across the motors ..I get these on an ICE track car ..but other than looks not sure worth the 2k plus ...:eek:

3. hdAge

hdAge Member

Yes mainly for the asthetics ..

• Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  4. JonathanD

JonathanD Member

Stock brakes are gonna cool faster than the battery anyway, unless you just want them for aesthetics which is fine.

Edit: we posted at the same time, yeah, I think you have already hit on the major issue, that being that they tend to cost a pretty penny. You could always drop a line to TSportline or whatever and see what they have to say about it.

• Informative x 1
  5. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Get ceramics than ;)

6. hdAge

hdAge Member

Just looking for aesthetics, not worried about cooling or stopping. I'm getting after market 20" Vorsteiner wheels and the combo with drilled and slotted rotors is what I'm after. :)

7. hdAge

hdAge Member

I havent found one in ceramics either :), having said that Unplugged has just the drilled ones (as I mentioned in my post) for $9k :) I'm willing to spend $2k to $4k..

• Like x 1
  8. hdAge

hdAge Member

Thats what I was planning to do, call both Tsportline and MPP (have to email them though, they dont have a number). But was also hoping there is atleast one more TMC member out there who is looking for one and perhaps found something.

9. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

These guys made S ones u should reach out they can do custom stuff

2017 Tesla Model S Performance Brake Rotors - CARiD.com

10. hdAge

hdAge Member

Thanks. I did search carid and just came across Racing brake (the 2nd item), but didnt see Remmen. Looks like they have a contact number, so will check with them in the week.

11. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

Go with MPP and be done with it. ;)

• Like x 1
  12. hdAge

hdAge Member

If I cant find any in the next couple of months, I will most probably go with them. Right now they are pre-ordered too, maybe I will ask Sasha to make one :)

• Like x 1
  13. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Nahh those are overpriced for what value they add ..all these EV “tuners” just OEM this stuff and slap a label ..ie the MPP suspension is made by Kw ..if this was a GT3 etc I get paying for better brakes for track ..but aesthetics <$1k ...Rims will make the brakes look better ;)

14. mobilesuit818

mobilesuit818 Member

Here comes the rice...

Please google drilled rotors...you’ll learn that you are taking surface area from the pad thus reducing your brake efficiency....plus your car is not a track car where you’ll have issues with heat...

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  15. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

..hey now :oops:...This thread was about drilled rotors ..not ten foot spoilers :eek:

• Funny x 1
  16. dek526

dek526 Member

i love my dba rotors on both my wife’s mini and on my s4. maybe contact them to see if they have anything being developed?

17. hdAge

hdAge Member

Yes I'm aware of the difference, thanks. I dont plan to take it to a Track (albeit the track mode), in regular street driving either rotor shouldnt have any issue. If I'm pushing hard in a track, then then every mm of surface area matters.

18. hdAge

hdAge Member

Ok one more to the list, will check with them too.

• Like x 1
  19. SSedan

SSedan Member

Drilled also leaves sharp edges that are great places for cracks to form and reducing thermal mass is only something you want to do on light vehicles with huge brakes. Porsche actually has a measurement of how long the cracks can be before replacement is necessary.

Far as asthetics, yeah all the extra brake dust from all those edges on drilled or slotted really makes a car look good.

If you have to have the look look for dimpled rather than drilled

• Informative x 1
  20. mobilesuit818

mobilesuit818 Member

To wash their own, but it’s just a matter of time before this starts happening.

I have predicted the TM3 to be the next Honda Civic, something that is affordable to the masses, great aftermarket support, and every yahoo trying to put everything on their car from wings to pretty much everything else just cause it’s available.

I saw a TM3 the other day with 15 inch brake rotors with 6 piston calibers and stock crappy tires and obviously is only driven on the street..Looks like he got bit hard by the rice bug. Can’t wait to see him try to brake in an emergency with this brake and tires setup...brakes don’t stop a car, tires and their contact patch do...just remember that.

• Funny x 1