TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Drinking the Kool Aid

Discussion in 'Model S' started by wdolson, Jun 2, 2016.

1. wdolson

wdolson Active Member

My SO is more of a car person than I am, but she does not like my current car and she was very cool about just about everything I was looking at. She doesn't tend to like American cars (at least from the Big Three) and she doesn't like large cars. Because of my long legs, I'm pretty much looking only at larger cars from the get go.

She had a 1st generation Subaru Outback for many years and replaced it with an Impreza in December 2012. She downsized to the Impreza because she thought the new Outback was way too big. She was a bit encouraging when I checked out the new Outback, but that was as encouraging as she got until I started looking at Tesla.

I got mixed signals from her on Tesla. On the one hand she seemed more interested than any of my other possibles, but she also was distant. We had a private test drive with a local owner and an official test drive at the Portland store and both times she declined to get behind the wheel. I've been encouraging her to feel free to drive the car when I'm not using it (I work from home 100% of the time and she splits 50/50 between her office and home), but she insisted it was my car and she wasn't going to deprive me of it.

Now with the car almost here I hear sounds of thawing. About a week ago we were running errands and I had mentioned that we should probably take my car for errands in the future since it has more capacity and it will be cheaper to run. On the way back she started talking about taking my car to work about half the time and she would be happy to only fill up her car twice a month instead of weekly like she's doing now. I told her she can have it any day I don't need the car.

Then a couple of days ago I mentioned the self presenting doors on the Model X and she said she really wants that and was disappointed they aren't available for the S. I told her she could get an X when she has the money (she does have some property for sale) and she glared at me. The S is already too big for her tastes, she doesn't want something even bigger. Yesterday she came home with a lot of stuff to carry in and the first thing she said was "I want those automatic doors!"

Who knows, by the time the Model 3 gets here she might be chomping at the bit to get a Tesla herself. :)

• Like x 2
  2. EinSV

EinSV Member

All I can say is that I hope you enjoy driving the Impreza!;)

• Funny x 3
  3. DFibRL8R

DFibRL8R Member

Tesla was my idea all the way, over three years and 78k miles later we both love the car and had to work out a deal that whoever had the longest trip on any given day could take the Model S. We put very few miles on our ICE as a result and will put even fewer on it once we get our Model 3;)

4. EinSV

EinSV Member

#4 EinSV, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    Actually, I tried to head this issue off at the pass by reserving two Model 3s -- his and hers. She is hoping they revive something like the "Very Orange" color, in which case we won't be confused about which is "his" and which is "hers." :cool:

5. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

My wife's response when I asked her how she liked the new car about a week after delivery was pretty non-commital. Six weeks later she called me on the phone from the car to tell me how much she liked driving it! Patience...

6. wdolson

wdolson Active Member

:)

Fortunately she is hyper about impinging on someone else's territory. Her mother had no sense of boundaries at all, so she tends to err on the side of being overly vigilant about them. I'm not too concerned about never seeing my car again, but I probably will end up driving the Impreza from time to time on days when she has my car and I end up having to go somewhere unexpectedly.

7. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

By posting the before means an implied promise to tell us what the after is.