TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Drive any Cadillac, anytime, for $1,500 a month

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by swaltner, Jan 9, 2017.

1. swaltner

swaltner Member

Drive any Cadillac, anytime, for $1,500 a month

GM's new Book by Cadillac service sure is an interesting concept. Kind of a lease, kind of a rental, kind of ownership...

Basically, you pay a flat fee of $1,500/mo and can always drive a brand new car, which can be any vehicle in the whole Cadillac line, all of which get configured maxed out with options. There's a one-time setup fee of $500, but no fee to change out to a new vehicle, which could be done as many as 18 times a year. There are also no long-term commitments required, so you can quit at any time without paying a penalty. The monthly fee includes insurance and regular maintenance. I'm assuming the fee also covers taxes and registration.

For now, the service is available only to people in the New York City while they judge if this is a service to add to new locations.

• Informative x 1
  2. kort677

kort677 Active Member

If this program is focused on NYC it doomed to failure. People in NYC, especially Manhattan have little need for a car, in the rest of the city $1500 a month will be a big barrier.

3. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Interesting concept - including insurance, seems like a fair deal. (Of course, Cadillac stinks though).
    Would be very interesting if the car could be shared with other participants, bringing down the monthly fee and also allowing for more swaps of cars

4. Nosken

Nosken Member

If this rolls out in a lot of cities, for someone that travels a lot, I could see this being viable in place of renting cars in every city.

5. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

Nice! Hope the concept catches on.

If Tesla offers something like for 2 times a normal P100DL lease payment you can swap between:
    Model 3 / Model S / Model X / Model Truck / Roadster 4

18 times per year - and always have the latest model, that starts being very interesting.

It also fixes most of the problems people have with servicing. Need new wipers, and your service center is backed up for a week? Just swap for a new car!

Oh, and I'm also never washing a car again...

6. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Note - no mileage restrictions.
    Seems like they are setting themselves up for adverse selection

7. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

The highest end Tesla is like twice the price of the highest end Escalade.

Would people bite at $3000?

For $1500 I think there would be a lot of takers, but I see only the Model 3 that would have a low enough MSRP to maybe hit that price point.

8. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

The highest end Escalade is close to $103k while the Model X comes to $169k, so only about 65% more.

And the $1500 Cadillac program includes insurance and maintenance. (And only costs about $430/month more than a 4 year lease on an Escalade.)

Applying the same premium to the Tesla lease would be $2,860/month. (Obviously the Gm leases are a "better" deal.)

I think if people could pay $450/month more than the Tesla lease price where that includes insurance, maintenance, and the ability to swap to a different Tesla 18 times a year they would jump at the chance. (You could get a different Tesla every 21 days, so you always have the fresh new car experience.)

9. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Remember though that any GM vehicle can be had at 20% off MSRP by stacking bonuses and incentives. No such luck on our Teslas. :)

The scary thing is I bet there are already Tesla owners among us (who can afford it) do car swaps every 6 months.