TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Drive away without the key!??

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Delta, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Delta

Delta New Member

Was yesterday in my hometown Laholms City Festival(Sweden), which this year had the theme electric vehicles. My newly washed Tesla MSP was on display along with about 10 other vehicles from Nissan, Volvo, BMW and others. Had some doubts before about how the car would look like after 6 hours with thousands of visitors who in varying degrees knew of Tesla and the presence of vehicles without internal combustion engine. They asked, squeezed, felt and test set for all seats in my car. Young, old, men and women. No doubt that the interest was very high.

But already after 10 minutes, I got new doubts. I found myself next to the car with the Tesla Model Car key in my pocket! Only 5 meters in front of the car was an inflated bouncy castle where some 25 children resided. In front of the car were mothers with their babies in conversation with festival visitors. What would happen if some of the test seated individuals would depress the brake pedal and then put D on the gear selector, and then stepping on the gas pedal? 5-10 people would get run over if I stood close enough with the key in his pocket. Since I was not prepared for the question, I could not test until any setting in the car with all the people around me. What do you do in such a situation? Who is responsible if any accident occurs? How to do to stop the car from driving away, perhaps with a child in the drivers seat? Are thre settings that could awoid this?
    Today I have checked to see if the car starts, if a person standing outside with the key and a person inside without. The car starts and drives off! :confused::confused:

2. LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke Model S P85DL

Leave the UMC plug in the charge port (no actual power needed), the car will not start then.

3. Delta

Delta New Member

OK the car will not go with a cable in the chargeport! And it will be locket in the port. Smart bot not so easy to figure out with a lot of people around. Thank you Lucky Luke!

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

You can also keep the fob in an RF shielding bag. That will eliminate the problem without having to carry the UMC around.

5. green1

green1 Active Member

The UMC plugged in adds to the demonstration anyway, so it's sort of a win-win. beyond that, you can yank the battery from the fob. (more foolproof than RF shielding that may, or may not, be perfect)

6. Delta

Delta New Member

I wonder if this situation is not foreseen by the manufacturer. Would have been more comfortable and safer with an immobilizing function on the touchscreen that could be reset with a tripple click on the key?

7. invisik

invisik Member

+1 I do this at car shows every time

- - - Updated - - -

+1 to this one too, people love to see the cord!!

-m

8. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Member

Or, stick the J1772 adapter in the charge port

9. flodrab

flodrab Member

#9 flodrab, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
    under the "Controls" menu, on the same page as the E-brake, there is a button labeled: "Power Off" ... (I've never used it, and haven't tried it because I don't like pushing random buttons if I don't know exactly what they do) ... could that solve this problem?

10. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Sends the car to sleep, but you can wake it again by pressing the brake pedal.

11. green1

green1 Active Member

Not to mention the car "shows" better if the screens are up.