Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive Change. Drive Electric. Really?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drive Change. Drive Electric. is a campaign by some northeastern states and members of two trade associations which lobby against fuel efficiency standards and independent state regulations, Association of Global Automakers - Wikipedia and Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers - Wikipedia
Are they preparing to pivot towards the future? Or is this greenwashing.

FYI: Tesla is not a part of the Association of Global Automakers or the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, all the dealerships partnering in the campaign are. Therefore, the dealerships' models are the ones featured on the website and Tesla's three currently available models do not appear in the "Explore Available Electric Cars" page vehicle selector tool (see image below).

Attachments

• site.jpg
    site.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 75
There are 10 states where the ZEV rules have been adopted - that is where manufacturers have to meet ZEV regulations. Two are on the West coast, CA and OR. The states in the NE are:
  1. Connecticut
  2. Maine
  3. Maryland
  4. Massachusetts
  5. New Jersey
  6. New York
  7. Rhode Island
  8. Vermont
The states that are participating in this program are:
  1. Connecticut
  2. Massachusetts
  3. New Hampshire
  4. New Jersey
  5. New York
  6. Rhode Island
  7. Vermont
Until recently, because of the "travel provision", selling in any one ZEV state was good enough - that's why CA got almost all of the effort. But as of 2018, the automakers have to sell in all of the ZEV states. I think that answers the question about why the Alliance of Automakers is participating in this program.

NESCAUM (which also includes Maine; curious that they are not included in the states participating in the program) has been working on some EV issues for several years. I suspect (though I am guessing) that they asked the automakers to participate, and the automakers saw the overlap with their sales objectives and said yes.

HERE is a 3-year-old article with somebody from NESCAUM talking about how the travel provision wasn't working for them.

I was able to get NESCAUM to at least add a sort of disclosure that the "Available Electric Cars" were (only) from campaign partners. That's a little more forthright, but still not enough for this campaign to earn my support, nor I'm sure legions of other EV advocates...especially Tesla owners who will see this as yet another slight (FYI I own a Volt). I do wish them well, but I still feel it is wrong and a mistake for NGOs and ZEV states to engage in non-brand neutral advocacy. Very bad precedent IMO. :(

Attachments

• new.jpg
    new.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: Gwgan