Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive Differently in Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious - how do people change their driving habits when they get a Model S? I'm thinking of "performance driving" 'cause it's an awesome performance car, or "defensive driving" 'cause it's an expensive and beautiful car you don't want to damage, "range driving" on long trips 'cause it's electric, or anything else… I guess it would depend what sort of car you come from but it's probably a big change in some way for most people, and with my MS coming in a few weeks, I'm wondering how it will affect my driving.

I've posted this elsewhere but it is probably worth repeating. I find that driving MS "enhances my calm". I actually mellow out in the car even with all the performance. If you are first at a light, your foot is already off the brake waiting for the light to turn green and, when it does, a normal actuation of the accelerator has MS jumping out in front of everything else. It's easy to drive smoothly and still perform well.

Nice car.

I didn't think I'd change. I recently got winter tires and was shocked to find out how much more aggressively I'd been driving with the 21's. Also, the brake quote is spot on--I rarely use the actual brakes anymore.

I'm curious - how do people change their driving habits when they get a Model S? I'm thinking of "performance driving" 'cause it's an awesome performance car, or "defensive driving" 'cause it's an expensive and beautiful car you don't want to damage, "range driving" on long trips 'cause it's electric, or anything else… I guess it would depend what sort of car you come from but it's probably a big change in some way for most people, and with my MS coming in a few weeks, I'm wondering how it will affect my driving.

- - - Updated - - -

I've posted this elsewhere but it is probably worth repeating. I find that driving MS "enhances my calm". I actually mellow out in the car even with all the performance. If you are first at a light, your foot is already off the brake waiting for the light to turn green and, when it does, a normal actuation of the accelerator has MS jumping out in front of everything else. It's easy to drive smoothly and still perform well.

Nice car.
I agree! I'm surprised how many people put the creep "on"--I enjoy being able to be still and quiet without the push of automatic forward motion.

I've driven every car I've ever had like I stole it. So that hasn't changed.

The one thing that has changed is I now leave more distance between me and the car in front of me. Not just because I don't want stuff getting kicked up and hitting my car. Though that hasn't worked out really well (damn shovels). But because I really don't want to use my brakes. So I give lots of time now so I can maximize regen.

Two cars prior to my Model S, I drove a manual transmission car (Acura Integra GS-R), and I really enjoyed the extra control I felt I had with it vs. an automatic. The Model S reminds me a little bit of driving a manual transmission car, minus the actual shifting and the clutch of course. But as others have already mentioned, you use the brake pedal much less (feels a little like "engine brake"), and by default you don't "creep" forward when you're in Drive. (I've tried creep mode on the S and don't like it, but my wife does. It's one setting I wish they'd add to the saved driver profiles.) Model S is definitely the first non-stick-shift car I've driven where I don't wish I had a manual transmission.

Other thoughts:
* I find myself shifting (sorry) between "spirited" driving and maximizing efficiency. I lean much more toward the latter for the few long trips I've taken so far.
* During road trips I've found that I don't get tired as quickly in the Model S vs. any other car.
* I bought my Model S before parking sensors were an option, and it's much wider than my previous two cars, so I've been extra cautious in parking lots and garages.

Last but not least, I can honestly say my daily commute now puts me into a better mood, even when I'm stuck in traffic, or when some crazy/inattentive driver nearly hits me or cuts me off. First, because it's such a fun car to drive. Second, because I'm still not used to the random thumbs-up signs, smiles, stares, and waves I get along the way. Almost every week so far, I've gotten at least one stranger asking me how I like my car. It renews my Tesla grin each time.

Mostly I find I am calmer, like lolachampcar. But I also sometimes drive it like I stole it like Liz G (I had that bumper sticker once). So for me I find it lends itself to my mood. The one pedal driving is the absolute best, it gives you an incredible amount of control vs an ICE.

One great thing that has happened, I have no more road rage at all.

Great question I was thinking about this the other day while driving. It is a game to keep momentum up and regen as much as possible. I tend to try to keep the energy peak as smooth and rounded as possible. And generally I am still driving a bit faster than traffic which has always been true. And at least once a day a find a relative safe place to remind myself why I bought a P85+! The car always puts a smile on my face too

Nice car.

I agree completely. I am a much calmer driver after i got my Model S.

My old Infinity FX had a tuned exhaust to get that macho feeling. Now with the MS I back out of the garage in total silence to start my drive. It is a mood changer. There are two kinds of MS drivers. The ones who take pleasure in the game of maximizing efficiency and the ones who like pushing the envelope. I am both at different times. Both are very fun experiences.

"One foot driving" with regen is way cool. I actually had a brief moment of panic driving our minivan the other day. I took my foot off the gas and it didn't slow down! I though "Oh, no! I am having an unintended acceleration problem!"

More spirited driving in town, take it easy on road trips, and don't use the brake pedal nearly as much.

I'm actually kinda the opposite. The vast majority of my driving is on the freeway at freeway speeds. In my last ICE, the cost of gas was getting to be such a concern that I'd stick in the right lane with the cruise set to 63 MPH (100 km/h) because it made a HUGE difference in my fuel consumption. With the cost of electricity, by comparison, so low I'm driving a lot faster now. Sure I could save a bit of electricity by sticking to my slow, right lane routine, but we're now talking pennies as opposed to dollars. I didn't use the brakes much before, and I don't now. My last car's brakes were still excellent after 80,000 miles. Never had to do anything other than "clean and inspect", which the Cadillac dealer never charged me for.Traffic is so heavy in the towns I drive in, there really isn't much change there. I'd only frustrate myself trying to drive in a more "spirited" fashion in those conditions.

Oh yeah... it's also the first car I've driven with a helmet on.

My Roadster had that honour. By now I've driven at least half a dozen different cars with a helmet on... one of which is a Model S. (The Roadster was also perversely responsible for my getting a dedicated track car. At least now I only ever burn gas on the track.)

Also, apparently, I drive more. At least that's what the odometer says. I hadn't planned on it

I've driven every car I've ever had like I stole it. So that hasn't changed.

The one thing that has changed is I now leave more distance between me and the car in front of me. Not just because I don't want stuff getting kicked up and hitting my car. Though that hasn't worked out really well (damn shovels). But because I really don't want to use my brakes. So I give lots of time now so I can maximize regen.

This, my following distance before was woefully inadequate. Now it is just regular inadequate. I despise pressing the brakes.

Two cars prior to my Model S, I drove a manual transmission car (Acura Integra GS-R), and I really enjoyed the extra control I felt I had with it vs. an automatic. The Model S reminds me a little bit of driving a manual transmission car, minus the actual shifting and the clutch of course. But as others have already mentioned, you use the brake pedal much less (feels a little like "engine brake"), and by default you don't "creep" forward when you're in Drive. (I've tried creep mode on the S and don't like it, but my wife does. It's one setting I wish they'd add to the saved driver profiles.) Model S is definitely the first non-stick-shift car I've driven where I don't wish I had a manual transmission.

Other thoughts:
* I find myself shifting (sorry) between "spirited" driving and maximizing efficiency. I lean much more toward the latter for the few long trips I've taken so far.
* During road trips I've found that I don't get tired as quickly in the Model S vs. any other car.
* I bought my Model S before parking sensors were an option, and it's much wider than my previous two cars, so I've been extra cautious in parking lots and garages.

Last but not least, I can honestly say my daily commute now puts me into a better mood, even when I'm stuck in traffic, or when some crazy/inattentive driver nearly hits me or cuts me off. First, because it's such a fun car to drive. Second, because I'm still not used to the random thumbs-up signs, smiles, stares, and waves I get along the way. Almost every week so far, I've gotten at least one stranger asking me how I like my car. It renews my Tesla grin each time.

I am also a much more calm driver. And I am much less agile as the Model S is much larger than my GTI. Both of which are changes. And I drive for economy, when not driving hard, which I never did before.

The main change that I have found is that I am not quite as attentive a driver. I think driving a stick, and constantly changing from gas to brake, clutch on, off, made driving more active. With the simple one pedal driving I am not quite as active. So I have to make myself pay attention more than I used to.

I agree with Doug G.

More spirited driving around town. The acceleration off the line is addictive. I am always amazed at how effortlessly the other cars fade into the distance in my rear view mirror.

Take it easy on road trips. On road trips I take it very easy when accelerating and when up to speed I enjoy a more relaxed drive on cruise control. Of course, this might change when superchargers finally make it to the middle of the country.

Take it easy on road trips. On road trips I take it very easy when accelerating and when up to speed I enjoy a more relaxed drive on cruise control. Of course, this might change when superchargers finally make it to the middle of the country.
Superchargers definitely changes it from me. When range is even possibly an issue, I take it somewhat easy. When going from supercharger to supercharger, there's never a range issue; I guess that means the spacing is definitely adequate for 85 kWh.