Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive Electric Week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am registered for the Weston, MA event.
So far we have one X and my S.
We need a 3.

National Drive Electric Week Event - Weston
Day: Sunday, September 9, 2018
Time: 12:30 pm to 4:30 pm
Location: Weston Public Library, 87 School Street, Weston, MA 02493

Vehicle Registered
Chevrolet Volt 2
Chevrolet Bolt 1
Chevy Spark EV 1
Smart fortwo 1
Tesla Model S 1
Tesla Model X 1
VW e-Golf 1

I am registered for the Weston, MA event.
So far we have one X and my S.
We need a 3.

Day: Sunday, September 9, 2018
Time: 12:30 pm to 4:30 pm
Location: Weston Public Library, 87 School Street, Weston, MA 02493

Vehicle Registered
Chevrolet Volt 2
Chevrolet Bolt 1
Chevy Spark EV 1
Smart fortwo 1
Tesla Model S 1
Tesla Model X 1
VW e-Golf 1

Signed up my 3.

Please join me at the NDEW event in Natick on Saturday Sept. 15th from 9am to 12:30pm at the Natick Mall Garage F, behind Wegman's with support from the Natick Mall, Wegman's and the Town of Natick! We have a great space, rain or shine. Please register to participate with your car, as a volunteer to help organize the event or as an attendee to meet other EV owners and enthusiasts. Hope to see you there

National Drive Electric Week Event - Natick

I took my Model 3 to two NDEW events this weekend - Marblehead yesterday morning and Weston this afternoon. A study in contrasts.

Marblehead: 5 cars (X, original Leaf, Bolt and two 3s, one of which had to leave early), very little space available with some cars on grass, some in parking spaces. Due to the space issues, cars had to arrive early and leave late - it was impossible to get cars in and out during the event. And no way to do test drives. Held in a middle school's parking lot, concurrent with a weekly Farmers' Market, with a folk/rock group playing nearby.

Weston: 20+ cars (multiples of S, X, 3, Bolt, Volt, i3 plus BMW 530e, e-Golf, and one or two others. And a Clarity PHEV stopped by briefly), lots of space in a parking lot, and a few people giving test drives. Held in the town library's parking lot.​

Jesse did a great job of getting people signed up for the Weston event, including BMW of Sudbury and Tesla Natick sales people bringing cars. Unfortunately not that many people stop by the town library on a Sunday afternoon, however, and most of those who did were there to drop off a book. They didn't appear interested in walking across the parking lot to where the EVs were parked. I mostly spoke with other EV owners, some of whom I'd previously met at other EV events. During over an hour there I spoke with at most a handful of people who were potential converts to EVs, so I decided to go home early.

The Marblehead organizer seemed to have never received my registration info from NDEW, which led to some confusion when I arrived. But from my perspective the Marblehead event was more worthwhile, because the Marblehead Farmers' Market is a huge draw of people. I was impressed by how busy it was - it felt like everyone in town was there at some point. This led to lots of people wandering by to see the EVs, sitting in the cars, asking questions, etc. and and talking to people from the local electric utility. In the first 5 minutes yesterday I spoke to as many people as I did today - and that pace continued for the nearly 3 hours I was there.

I've had similar experiences in past years, but never the level of contrast as I had this weekend.

Now some of the difference is because there were at least three other Model 3s at Weston today, so people interested had other cars to look at and owners to talk to without walking over to me. But this leads me to two conclusions:
  1. There is little need for more than one or two of a given EV model - unless you're doing test drives or rides, or know you will have a LOT of people coming to look at the cars.
  2. These NDEW events really, really need to be held concurrently with other events that are known to draw lots of people: a town fair, high school sports event, farmers' market, etc. Unfortunately very few people are going to go out of their way to see an EV, but if they happen to almost literally bump into one as they're buying vegetables or cheering their kid's team, they might be open to learn something.
I will choose my future NDEW appearances accordingly, and will provide this feedback to NDEW directly as well.

Marblehead, 9/8/18
IMG_3691-2.jpeg

Good report Peter. I didn't attend the Marblehed event but agree with all of your points on the Weston event which I also attended. It would be ideal to try to co-schedule NDEW events with existing well attended events - or perhaps schedule them in locations where there is a higher volume of foot traffic that would increase the number of people casually checking things out. The Weston Public Library was a good location from a space perspective, but a Library doesn't have a high volume of visitor traffic.

These NDEW events really, really need to be held concurrently with other events that are known to draw lots of people: a town fair, high school sports event, farmers' market, etc. Unfortunately very few people are going to go out of their way to see an EV, but if they happen to almost literally bump into one as they're buying vegetables or cheering their kid's team, they might be open to learn something.
Not necessarily - we had over 250 people pre-register for the New London, NH event. It was totally stand-alone, just like the ones in the prior 2 years, both of which drew a few hundred people as well. We're clearly doing something right, but I'm not sure what.

Not necessarily - we had over 250 people pre-register for the New London, NH event. It was totally stand-alone, just like the ones in the prior 2 years, both of which drew a few hundred people as well. We're clearly doing something right, but I'm not sure what.

I guess if it’s big enough and well-promoted enough, it becomes an event in and of itself. And sure enough, when I went to the New London event page I saw you had flyers showing sponsors and activities - quite an event! I’m sure a lot of people got involved to make it happen.

I guess if it’s big enough and well-promoted enough, it becomes an event in and of itself. And sure enough, when I went to the New London event page I saw you had flyers showing sponsors and activities - quite an event! I’m sure a lot of people got involved to make it happen.
Fair enough. We had good luck getting sponsors which gave is the funds to print signs, banners, postcards to place on EV windshields and hand out to people, run ads in the local paper, put laminated signs on local charging stations, etc. We also promoted through local town email lists.

Reactions: PeterK
How about piggy backing on regular car shows? Like have an EV section.

In the Boston area, twice that I recall (2013 and 2016?) a bunch of Tesla S and then S&X owners went to American Car & Truck Day at the Larz Anderson Auto Museum in Brookline. In 2013 I think 4 of us met nearby ahead of time so we could drive in and park together, and 1 or 2 joined afterwards. Having critical mass of Teslas drew people to come by, look and ask questions. And in 2016 they organized an area for Teslas and other EVs.
IMG_5031.jpg

And now that I think of it, we had a convoy of at least 6 or 8 Model S's meet up and then enter a car show near Plymouth MA in September 2013.
IMG_5046.jpg

Finally, during the Head of the Charles Regatta in Cambridge MA in October 2013, we gathered 6 or 7 Model S's and drove in a "flash mob" convoy on a route passing by most of the crowds, stopping briefly in Harvard Square, and ending in a parking lot near the start line where a few people wandered by. Unfortunately to get official exhibition space at the Regatta would require paying sponsorship money.
DSC_2904.jpg

IMG_5282.jpg

Reactions: Bokonon
Good report Peter. I didn't attend the Marblehed event but agree with all of your points on the Weston event which I also attended. It would be ideal to try to co-schedule NDEW events with existing well attended events - or perhaps schedule them in locations where there is a higher volume of foot traffic that would increase the number of people casually checking things out. The Weston Public Library was a good location from a space perspective, but a Library doesn't have a high volume of visitor traffic.

Actually the Drive Electric Week website has a lot of info on holding events, including this section:

Find a Location
Come to the People. It's much easier to get good attendance at events when we organize Drive Electric Week events in conjunction with existing events or in places where lots of people will likely already be congregating. Examples include farmers' markets, eco-fairs, work-site employee fairs, auto shows, and parking lots of popular stores or libraries open on the day of your event. Permission or permits may be necessary.

Seek to Reach the Uninitiated. There's nothing more fun than a rally with fellow plug-in advocates. But in order to help the plug-in movement thrive and grow, we must reach out to people who know little, or even nothing, about electric transportation. A big parade can help attract media and politicians who might otherwise skip your event, but try to find a densely populated street or path so that most of those observing are new to EVs. Likewise, let's try to stage events in new places and with, or for, people who aren't the "choir." Parks, farmers' markets and traditional auto rallies or shows, noted above, are good ideas.

National Drive Electric Week - Resources

It's that time of year again! If you're a Tesla (or any other EV) driver, please consider bringing it to your local Drive Electric Week Event. If you don't own an EV, please consider attending an event to learn more.

I'll put in a plug for my local event at the Dothan Brook School in White River Junction, VT. We alternate between New London (in even years), and the Upper Valley in odd years. This event has consistently been one of the largest in New England, with 500+ attendees. We currently have almost 200 signed up, and 36 cars registered.

National Drive Electric Week - White River Junction

--------------------------------------------------------

On September 14th, step into the future of sustainable transportation.
Taste the thrill of electric cars, motorcycles and bicycles and meet their enthusiastic owners.
Ride in the all-electric Chevy Bolt, Jaguar I-Pace, Nissan Leaf and Tesla Model 3/S/X,
plus plug-in hybrids like the Chevy Volt, Subaru Crosstrek and Toyota Prius Prime.
Learn how to charge your car's battery with free electricity from rooftop or ground-mounted solar panels.
Check out cordless electric lawn and garden equipment: Lawnmowers, weed trimmers, chainsaws, snowblowers and more.
Listen to info-packed presentations on electric vehicle efficiency and affordability. You may never pump gas again!
FREE admission - FREE refreshments - FREE King Arthur Flour cookies and baking mixes.

DATE & TIME: Saturday, September 14, 2019, 11am-3pm. Rain or shine!
LOCATION: Dothan Brook School, 2300 Christian St. (US Route 5), White River Junction, VT 05001.
MORE INFO: Call 802.291.3939 or email [email protected]

The 2019 Upper Valley Electric Vehicle Expo is presented by New Hampshire & Vermont Town Energy Committees,
in cooperation with the Upper Valley Sierra Club, Vital Communities, Advance Transit, Local Motion, and our generous sponsors:

Local Auto Dealers: Key Chevrolet, Team Nissan North, and White River Toyota.
Local Electric Bicycle Dealer: Omer & Bob's.
Local Solar Installers: Catamount Solar, Norwich Solar Technologies, Revision Energy, Solaflect Energy, and SunCommon.
Local Electric Utility: Green Mountain Power.

Additional support provided by Cyclewise Electric Motorcycles, Eco Equipment, and Lyme Green Heat.

National Drive Electric Week is presented by Plug In America, Sierra Club and Electric Auto Association.
Nissan LEAF is the Exclusive Automotive Sponsor. ClipperCreek is a silver-level sponsor.

Living now in Boston, I was the first ms to register for the event in Cambridge, MA. Hope to meet other Tesla owners in the greater Boston area. Last year our vacation coincided with the same annual event in Oak Bluffs, Martha's Vineyard and answered numerous ms questions from potential buyers. There was a very interesting EV bus with wireless charging.

Nissan LEAF is the exclusive vehicle sponsor so it's a shame Tesla doesn't participate. Gee, it should be a wonderful opportunity to sell more vehicles.

Last edited:
Living now in Boston, I was the first ms to register for the event in Cambridge, MA. Hope to meet other Tesla owners in the greater Boston area. Last year our vacation coincided with the same annual event in Oak Bluffs, Martha's Vineyard and answered numerous ms questions from potential buyers. There was a very interesting EV bus with wireless charging.

Nissan LEAF is the exclusive vehicle sponsor so it's a shame Tesla doesn't participate. Gee, it should be a wonderful opportunity to sell more vehicles.
I'll also be at the Cambridge event today.