Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive from New Orleans to Savannah

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Realizing that neither New Orleans nor Savannah are in Florida, this route seems to largely be a Florida challenge. I have a MX75D. When I use the Tesla web app between these points, I get the attached route notification. abetterrouteplanner.com suggests I can make the drive so long as I keep to distance. It seems that the stops between Mobile and DeFuniak Springs are tough.

At any rate, I'm from Canada, our range sucks up here with winter but it seems the car should be able to make the 220km between stops but because I'm booking Airbnb destinations based on driving 6 or so hours with twin babies in the car, I'm being extra cautious.

For those curious, we're looking to stay along the coast (probably Panama City Beach) and near Savannah (still kind of playing this one by ear). We're heading north to Greensboro after this, mostly in a 'hurry' to get home. The earlier part of the trip goes through Louisville, Nashville, Memphis, etc..

Anyway, any help would be wonderful! Glad to see a lot of charging options on plugshare as well!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 11.22.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 11.22.40 PM.png
    328.4 KB · Views: 74
That route sucks. It is going to add a lot of time. Looking at Plugshare, there should be enough J-1772 plugs in the segments that you refer to. Honestly, that route adds so much time and distance that sitting at L2 plugs for a few hours will save a lot of time.
If you are wanting to sightsee in the south, that is definitely a route you can take. The old South at Natchez MS, Rocket Center in Huntsville AL, Civil Rights, Aquarium, Stone Mtn in Atlanta.

You might have some options, but wait until you get to New Orleans and ask the car to route you. Even then, don't forget the J-1772 and destination chargers available.

I can’t imagine why you wouldn’t take I-10 across. My wife just drove from Houston east and said it was a piece of cake in her loaded (four people, two dogs, cargo hitch) MX90. She had a couple 200+ mile spacing jumps in Texas and NM which were rough. Spacing is around 120 miles between super chargers in Florida. Defuniak is a ghost town, but she said Live Oak was her favorite (Dunkin’ Donuts coffee). Leg to Kingsland the longest, just watch your speed. Good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: Whisky
Realizing that neither New Orleans nor Savannah are in Florida, this route seems to largely be a Florida challenge. I have a MX75D. When I use the Tesla web app between these points, I get the attached route notification. abetterrouteplanner.com suggests I can make the drive so long as I keep to distance. It seems that the stops between Mobile and DeFuniak Springs are tough.

At any rate, I'm from Canada, our range sucks up here with winter but it seems the car should be able to make the 220km between stops but because I'm booking Airbnb destinations based on driving 6 or so hours with twin babies in the car, I'm being extra cautious.

For those curious, we're looking to stay along the coast (probably Panama City Beach) and near Savannah (still kind of playing this one by ear). We're heading north to Greensboro after this, mostly in a 'hurry' to get home. The earlier part of the trip goes through Louisville, Nashville, Memphis, etc..

Anyway, any help would be wonderful! Glad to see a lot of charging options on plugshare as well!

From New Orleans, head to Slidell then to Meridian or Mobile. No reason to go west. If it’s close, slow down or find the slip stream of a semi going 65-70 mph. I’ve made Baton Rouge to Monroe in a single charge in my MS75D easily.

Reactions: Whisky