Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive-in Cinema

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone went to see a movie in a drive-in cinema with their Model S in Canada? With DRL I feel this is impossible to accomplish since there is no way to close the lights and key the radio running..
Doesn't the Headlinghts = OFF setting do what you need? (IIRC, it's in Controls/Driving/Lights). Then next time you put it into drive it will automatically switch back to AUTO mode. And if during the movie the 17" screen itself is too bright, you could put the screen into Cleaning mode, it will then stay almost entirely dark.

Often I'll wait in my parked car listening to Slacker while my wife pops into a store for 15-20min. After I park, I press the headlights OFF setting and that turns off all exterior lights including headlights/DRL. I've not tried this for as a long duration like a movie (does perhaps the screen power down automatically after some time?) I'm not certain now that I think of it, but I thought the 17" didn't shut off as long as you were sitting in the car, but maybe I'm wrong on that...

oops, ignore my post just above (system won't let me edit it) -- just found posts elsewhere confirming screen/etc will auto-shut-off after 30min regardless if you're sitting in the car - didn't know that. And turning on camper-mode leaves the DRL on, with no option to turn off.

Doesn't the Headlinghts = OFF setting do what you need? (IIRC, it's in Controls/Driving/Lights). Then next time you put it into drive it will automatically switch back to AUTO mode. And if during the movie the 17" screen itself is too bright, you could put the screen into Cleaning mode, it will then stay almost entirely dark.

Often I'll wait in my parked car listening to Slacker while my wife pops into a store for 15-20min. After I park, I press the headlights OFF setting and that turns off all exterior lights including headlights/DRL. I've not tried this for as a long duration like a movie (does perhaps the screen power down automatically after some time?) I'm not certain now that I think of it, but I thought the 17" didn't shut off as long as you were sitting in the car, but maybe I'm wrong on that...
the DRL are still on when you put Headlights off. Even on the car in the screen the light are still on.

the DRL are still on when you put Headlights off. Even on the car in the screen the light are still on.
That's strange. In my car (Canadian 70D, Dec2015), after putting the car in Park if I stay in the car and press the Headlights=OFF control, then both the headlights/DRLs themselves and the corresponding picture of lights on the control screen all turn off. Just checked and reconfirmed this

Meanwhile if I try camper mode (car in Neutral, parking brake engaged via control screen), then it's true the DRL stay on and cannot be turned off as long as the car is in Neutral.

That's strange. In my car (Canadian 70D, Dec2015), after putting the car in Park if I stay in the car and press the Headlights=OFF control, then both the headlights/DRLs themselves and the corresponding picture of lights on the control screen all turn off. Just checked and reconfirmed this

Meanwhile if I try camper mode (car in Neutral, parking brake engaged via control screen), then it's true the DRL stay on and cannot be turned off as long as the car is in Neutral.
I will try again tomorrow but it's hard to test alone if I stay in the car ;)

You have 2 choices, Leave the DRL on, and have the car stay on the whole time, or turn the DRL off and the car will shut down after 30 mins.
On the upside, tapping the screen will bring it back.

To have the vehicle stay on more than 30 minutes, the ONLY way is to put the car in neutral and engage the parking brake from the touch screen. All other "tricks" will result in the car shutting down after 30 minutes.

To turn off the DRL, the car must be in park (not just in neutral with parking brake on) and then you can select "off" on the lights to turn off the DRL, the 30 minute timer starts from the moment you put the car in park.

You have 2 choices, Leave the DRL on, and have the car stay on the whole time, or turn the DRL off and the car will shut down after 30 mins.
On the upside, tapping the screen will bring it back.

To have the vehicle stay on more than 30 minutes, the ONLY way is to put the car in neutral and engage the parking brake from the touch screen. All other "tricks" will result in the car shutting down after 30 minutes.

To turn off the DRL, the car must be in park (not just in neutral with parking brake on) and then you can select "off" on the lights to turn off the DRL, the 30 minute timer starts from the moment you put the car in park.

They may have silently updated this. I just got back from watching Finding Dory at a drive in. We were there for a total of 4 hours as you have to get there really early before it fills up and the car never turned off once. I put it in park when we go there and switched off the headlights and that was it. No timer on my car apparently. Lol