Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive-in problems (and solution)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I usually go to a drive in once or twice a year, and I'd like to take the Tesla, but it looks like I won't be.

I use the car audio at the drive in, so the other issue is the 17 inch screen staying on. You could cover it with a towel, but that's kind of annoying. Also, how long does the audio system stay on before it shuts itself off (when the car is parked)?

I'd love to see a drive in mode implemented, to address all these things.

sent via Tapatalk

The drive-ins aren't actually open yet.

So you haven't actually been to the drive-in yet?

When you do, here's a couple of suggestions:

1. Turn off the headlights.
2. Don't get out of the car.

I'm not being flippant, but I really don't see why anyone would want to get up and go to a concession stand during the movie.

- - - Updated - - -

I use the car audio at the drive in, so the other issue is the 17 inch screen staying on. You could cover it with a towel.....

Or you could adjust the slider bar to turn down the screen brightness.

I really don't care one way or the other, but am curious to know why you like it that way? I really am having a hard time understanding what the practical value is (I'm not sure to prevent blasting the neighborhood with sound is really of any value).

I always thought that the practical value was that when you are talking to someone as they are entering or leaving the car, you don't have to turn down the audio or shout over it. (I never thought about the neighbours).

I use a pick up truck.

This way I can bring my lounge chairs and a big cooler... :)

You need to seriously look at these. I put one of those in the bed of the truck, and it has totally and completely changed our drive-in experience.

Our drive-in opens in a few weeks. My wife and I usually go about 15 times during the summer. In a few years, once the kids are older, we'll be bringing both the truck and the Tesla to the drive-in, but I gotta ask... why would you want to watch the movie thru the windshield? Park it in backward, open the lift gate, fold down the rear seats, and enjoy! You can get in and out of the car as much as you want, and there's no annoying light spillover to worry about from the touch screen.

Report: taking Model S to the drive-in (and energy usage there)

The car is quite nice at the drive-in, though it requires a mess of settings adjustments.
  1. At the entry gate, set the suspension to 'very high' to get over the grass and bumps.
  2. After parking, put the car in NEUTRAL and then turn the parking brake on. Do NOT put the car in "park". This is important.
  3. Turn the night-time screen brightness down to 0%.
  4. Turn the headlights OFF. (The car needs to be in "neutral", not "park" in order to remember this. If it's in park, the lights will keep going on whenever you open the door, and everyone else at the drive-in will yell at you.)
  5. Turn the Daytime Running Lights off. (If you're driving a Canadian model, I guess you can't go to the drive-in -- sorry.)
  6. Set the radio to the appropriate frequency, adjust volume and tone.
  7. Set the climate control to get fresh air and to blow on the front windshield to avoid fogging.
  8. Go get concessions and enjoy the movie...
  9. Remembering that your sound will turn off temporarily every time you open the driver's door. (Sigh.)

This is at the Finger Lakes Drive-in in Auburn, one of the last drive-ins to still have the window speakers:
auburn-drive-in.jpg

It was a nice day at Auburn.

At Auburn, I parked at 7:39 PM, with 218 rated miles, and left at 10:58 PM, with 203 rated miles. That's 15 rated miles of charge in a little over 3 hours, for radio and climate control.

We did not enjoy the movie ("Iron Man 3") much, though (it was too incoherent for my tastes). So we went out to another movie later that week...

This is a much worse picture at the Elmira Drive-In:
elmira-drive-in.jpg

It was raining a lot. The windshield wipers are slower than they should be, even on high. It was still possible to watch the movie despite the rain, though. ("Oz: the Great and Powerful" -- we liked it a lot)

At Elmira, I parked at 7:58 PM with 195 rated miles, and left at 10:58 with 167 rated miles. That's 28 rated miles used in 3 hours sitting still, just for radio, climate control, and wipers.

Heat was probably the determining factor in the higher usage here, I'm guessing.

When you leave, there's another checklist:
  1. Reset the climate control.
  2. Turn the night-time screen brightness back up to your preferred level.
  3. Reset the radio to your favored listening; adjust volume and tone (for some reason, drive-ins often have much quieter volumes on their radio signals than regular stations, so your volume may be way too loud).
  4. Turn the headlights and Daytime Running Lights back on.
  5. Shift into reverse (parking brake will unset automatically) and drive away. (Suspension will reset itself.)

Downsides of the car for a drive-in:
  1. Finicky things to remember to do
  2. No way to prevent sound volume from dropping when you open driver's side door.
  3. Windshield wipers too slow
  4. Bizarrely, the windshield wipers make the car shake when set on high speed.

The upsides are much larger:
  • Most valuable: you can defog the windshield without turning on a loud rumbly gasoline engine. (Though I can hear the heat pump compressor running, it's still pretty quiet.)
  • The car is large and has plenty of space to sprawl out and eat drive-in food, even with four people in the car (which we did in Auburn). The popcorn bucket fits neatly on the "armrest", while drinks and food fit in the center cubby...
  • No worries about draining the car battery. :wink:
  • And of course, no worries about gas.

Am I the first person to take my Model S to a drive-in cinema? :biggrin:

Last edited:
We will be taking our MS to the drive-in this summer (Bengie's outside of Baltimore.) It's ~70 miles away though, or 140 miles r/t. Thanks for the check-list. One solution to the audio problem I suppose is to exit the vehicle from the passenger side. I'm glad you didn't have any 12V issues after using the radio for 3 hours. I had battery issues in my BMW 3-series after just a few hours. Every 20 minutes or so the radio would automatically turn off. After 3 hours I had a low battery warning. In the BMW there is no way to have just the radio powered on. Accessory mode apparently powers a bunch of stuff.

For reference, referring to everyone who commented about food, I put dropcloths over the leather seats before going. (The carpet is hopeless until I get rubber floormats anyway.)

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW, there are 19 drive-ins in New England. But as Nigel asks, why are you going to the concession stand?
Drive-ins often do not make profit on the movies, which are extremely cheap (a double or triple feature at a price comparable to a single matinee elsewhere). In order to keep the drive-ins open, I do try to patronize their concessions. Which are actually really good; Elmira has freshly made pizza, for instance. And the concessions are quite reasonably priced. I don't think I've gotten concessions at a non-drive-in movie in twenty years....

Thanks for the checklist, neroden. I haven't been to the drive in yet this year, but hopefully will soon. I would add to your list: (a) turn off the dome lights, so they don't come on when the door is opened, and (b) bring a towel to cover the instrument panel and touch screen, as they put out a fair amount of light, even when set to night and 0%.

Also, my headlights don't come on when the door is opened, even when the car is in park. Is there any other reason to do the neutral and parking brake thing?

(I've been to that Elmira drive-in as a kid, 40 or so years ago, having grown up in Corning.)

The car is quite nice at the drive-in, though it requires a mess of settings adjustments.
  1. At the entry gate, set the suspension to 'very high' to get over the grass and bumps.
  2. After parking, put the car in NEUTRAL and then turn the parking brake on. Do NOT put the car in "park". This is important.
  3. Turn the night-time screen brightness down to 0%.
  4. Turn the headlights OFF. (The car needs to be in "neutral", not "park" in order to remember this. If it's in park, the lights will keep going on whenever you open the door, and everyone else at the drive-in will yell at you.)
  5. Turn the Daytime Running Lights off. (If you're driving a Canadian model, I guess you can't go to the drive-in -- sorry.)
  6. Set the radio to the appropriate frequency, adjust volume and tone.
  7. Set the climate control to get fresh air and to blow on the front windshield to avoid fogging.
  8. Go get concessions and enjoy the movie...
  9. Remembering that your sound will turn off temporarily every time you open the driver's door. (Sigh.)