Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive-ins in the Tesla will be great ... ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JulesVerne

Model Y Owner - since Aug 14, 2021
Jun 6, 2021
Toronto
Has anyone been to the Drive-in in their Tesla?
I know that drive-ins are getting more rare, but wouldn't it be great!

2 near me in Toronto. 1 in Oakville, if it is still running, and one near a relatives cottage in Gravenhurst (The Muskoka Drive-in)

When you go, to keep mosqitos out, you could seal up the windows, and put the aircon on (heck, maybe just use Camping mode!

None-of this.. run the ICE car for 5 mins, to cool down the car, then let it get hot again, and do it all again!!!

I may actually look forward to trying it again!!! wth Air-Con!!!

... Andrew

Yes we’ve done it and it’s a good experience, just put the brightness all the way down on your screen and remember to touch something every 30 minutes or so, otherwise the car will go to sleep, and you’ll lose audio.
ha.. thanks for the tip.. i guess camp mode wouldnt allow the stereo to keep going, so good tip re touching the screen...

Has anyone been to the Drive-in in their Tesla?
Well, you don't really need to go to a Drive-in if you have Netflix, or other Streaming Services, and even Youtube has some full movies.
Sometime, to avoid been in a traffic jam, I just stop on a parking lot to see the sunset over the Pacific while watching a movie and eating a little snack.

Note: I find more comfortable to watch a movie while seating on the back seat.
Following a recommendation on another TMC thread, I added a special driver setting that I called "Camp Mode."

With this setting in one click, I can move the driver seat all the way to the steering wheel, which provides a lot of additional space,
and also this allows to easily reach the front screen from the back seat.

Well, you don't really need to go to a Drive-in if you have Netflix, or other Streaming Services, and even Youtube has some full movies.
Sometime, to avoid been in a traffic jam, I just stop on a parking lot to see the sunset over the Pacific while watching a movie and eating a little snack.

Note: I find more comfortable to watch a movie while seating on the back seat.
Following a recommendation on another TMC thread, I added a special driver setting that I called "Camp Mode."

With this setting in one click, I can move the driver seat all the way to the steering wheel, which provides a lot of additional space,
and also this allows to easily reach the front screen from the back seat.
Ha.. True..but come on.. an old fashioned drive it...but if that's your face, you may be too young to have gone to one.
I'm ancient! :)

Yes we've done it and it works well. Couple things though if you're going to back in and sit in the hatch. If you're going to go forward it's like any other car, note that it the rear person won't have a great view, was much worse then in our xc90.

But if you're backing in:
1. Turn off dome lights/auto headlights
2. The rear hatch light doesn't follow the dome light setting. You'll need to cover it with something. I brought tape and used a folded napkin. This thing is ridiculously bright.
3. If you're over 6' you can't sit all the way back in the hatch, because your head won't fit
4. Bring a blanket or yoga matt for the hatch, the platform is pretty hard.
5. The hatch has rear speakers that work well and can be used for sitting in a chair behind hatch, better for adults, kids in hatch
6. You have to keep a door propped open for the radio to stay on, it will shut off every 30-45 minutes. Just close/open door to turn it back on. It doesn't care that hatch is open
7. Turn off climate controls

Last edited:
We went to a drive-in last week in our Model 3, which was generally fun. First of all, camp mode works fine to keep the audio on and the A/C running during the movie. You might need a jacket or something to put over the screen in case it stays on in a dim way. Make sure you park in a space that allows all pax to see the screen. Where we parked the car was tilted down a bit towards the front, which meant the rear pax saw part of the screen through the glass roof.

We went to a drive-in last week in our Model 3, which was generally fun. First of all, camp mode works fine to keep the audio on and the A/C running during the movie. You might need a jacket or something to put over the screen in case it stays on in a dim way. Make sure you park in a space that allows all pax to see the screen. Where we parked the car was tilted down a bit towards the front, which meant the rear pax saw part of the screen through the glass roof.
Good news about Camp Mode. Yes, the drive-in we have been to in our Honda Odyssey Van, and last time in our Prius V, does NOT have have high enough "humps" so the front seat sees well, but the back seat could not see.
I vowed never to go back .... BUT if its just my daughter and I at the cottage, cause my wife has to work during the week, I'm now ready to go in my "upcoming" Model Y.....

IMG_2344.jpg

IMG_2347.jpg

The good and bad...
If you are a front passenger -- pretty darn good.
If you are a rear passenger --- pretty darn bad.
Couldn't get the car into an acceptable position for the rear passengers to watch with any comfort.
Used 'camp' mode with the air set automatic 71 degrees (hot night, until about 11 pm.) and turned the screen brightness to it's lowest setting and then covered it with a dark towel. Rear air remained on the whole time. Audio system sounded Great! Audio remained on throughout the whole movie, even when we exited and returned to the car. The dome lights did stay on for about 20 seconds after returning to car.
Over the 2+ hours it used 2% battery.
We had a lot of "looks" as we were the only Tesla there - a few thumbs up too. In our area I only know of us plus one other person that has a Tesla.
All in all, if there is only the front passengers you'll do fine. Next time we bring the grand kids, we'll use the Rav4...