Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive Inverter Error - DIR_a018_hw12vSupplyUV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

240vPlug

Feb 3, 2021
Maryland
Anyone know what exactly this error is about? Service says it's a common error from charging to 100% but this error was logged while I was driving the car. I charge to 80% not 100%.

I saw no indication of the error and was only able to view it in service mode.

Car has been shuddering and stuttering (like it's losing power for a split second)....at it's worst between 30-40 mph. Service has had it since Wednesday and I haven't heard anything but I know they have been driving it... numerous times... presumably trying to figure out the cause.

Looks to me like a bad drive unit inverter or wiring harness if it's losing 12v power.

Attachments

• PXL_20221109_123443655~2.jpg
    PXL_20221109_123443655~2.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 298
I just had this same exact error and it happened during charging to only 87% not 100% like yours. Did Tesla ever take care of it? I have a service appt. scheduled in a week. I also got a VCFRONT_a059_inputresistancehigh error a day before this one. Both errors were only alerted in service mode and not under my driver profile alerts.

I just had this same exact error and it happened during charging to only 87% not 100% like yours. Did Tesla ever take care of it? I have a service appt. scheduled in a week. I also got a VCFRONT_a059_inputresistancehigh error a day before this one. Both errors were only alerted in service mode and not under my driver profile alerts.
My car has been experiencing the same VCFRONT_a059 for a few weeks and just today encountered the same DIR_a018 but not during charging. I have a service appointment Wednesday. I'll keep you posted on the results.

Any updates?
For mine, Tesla Service stated that "because the alert is in service mode and not under your driver profile, we cannot/wont do anything about it. If it pops up in your driver profile alerts, then its a problem and we'll address." LOL Couldn't believe it. Anyway, I took the car back, the alert was moved into non-active alerts in the computer and has now since dropped off completely and has not recurred. Since then, I've gotten other seemingly serious sounding alerts from the same VC areas but different alerts. These come and go and haven't repeated as well. The car did say under these alerts that the car itself would attempt to fix them by resetting its own VCs (vehicle controls). I'm assuming it did that and they have not recurred.

I'm still not impressed by Tesla's Service response though, but it is what it is. They can't fix everything that appears to be intermittent. That much I understand. They said they couldn't find any existing issues with the systems so the problem came and went apparently.

Interestingly, my car is now WILDY incorrectly calculating its own consumption. I've been driving in chill mode to baby the car and milk efficiency, and my trip "A" consumption shows 220 Wh/mi but the consumption graphs shows I'm flooring the car non-stop and running more than 400 Wh/mi for the last 30 miles which is just flat out wrong. My car is most def. developing a confused "mind." This is with all HVAC turned off, no Sentry, no dash cam recording, no headlights on. Its really mind boggling. I tried a software reset, but didn't fix the problem. So, maybe back to service I go. We'll see.

My car has been experiencing the same VCFRONT_a059 for a few weeks and just today encountered the same DIR_a018 but not during charging. I have a service appointment Wednesday. I'll keep you posted on the results.
Was your outcome more fruitfull than mine? Tesla basically sent me away, what did they do for you?

My turn signal sound stopped working and a few minutes later the entire display went black. I stopped the car and rebooted and the display
and turn signal sound returned. I was going on a long road trip the next day so I went in to the service menu and found this error around the time that my touchscreen went black. I took the error down to my local service center and they recommended I not to take my Model Y on the long trip and book a service appointment.

When I picked up my car after the appointment this is what the repair notes read:
"Based on customer picture the alerts present were in service mode only and not
customer facing faults. service mode alerts can be erroneous at best and not indicative of an actual
fault. It is used by engineering to help them see when to trigger actual alerts to the customer. no
actual problem found with the low voltage power supply to the front or rear drive inverters. The one
instance of the screen rebooting looks to have been a random event with no hardware related faults
that align with the need to replace anything just a glitch. Mostly just don't pay attention to service
mode alerts if its a real problem it will present on the UI to the customer."