Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

drive my 40 kwh to LA from Santa Cruz

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
im gonna be taking my 40kwh down to la for a work trip. any good place to charge? cant use super chargers since by passing the battery on the 40kwh cant be done for some reason. ill be using rabo banks and some old roadster routes. but im interested to know if anyone else has done it yet or knows any good places to stop off at.

thanks
joey

im gonna be taking my 40kwh down to la for a work trip. any good place to charge? cant use super chargers since by passing the battery on the 40kwh cant be done for some reason. ill be using rabo banks and some old roadster routes. but im interested to know if anyone else has done it yet or knows any good places to stop off at.

thanks
joey

Plugshare is a good resource.

So is ChadS's Tesla Highway map, which gives you a perspective on which sites work for higher power J1772 adapters:

Tesla Highway - Google Maps

?? No, I see lots of Superchargers on the map. They are red pins.

Not all of them, as this was intended to be a West-coast map, Google has a limit on pin number, and even worse they have a smaller limit on the pins that they will show at once (so you might have to move to another page to see more pins).

Somebody started adding East-coast sites, but we quickly ran in to the pin limit. I removed a lot of old 30A sites for that reason. I started adding CHAdeMO sites, but have not completed that as the CHAdeMO adapter is STILL not available.

Maybe I should just make the map private. Google won't let me add as much stuff as I'd like, and many people have expected the map to do more than it does.

thanks
joey
The Rabobanks and whatever else you can find on plugshare. And pray they are available.
There's also the Oaks Hotel in Paso Robles that has 14-50s and J1772s, and the owners are happy to reserve the spots for you.
And there's Lloyd's dental office in SLO.

What about when you arrive? I think finding destination charging in LA is rather difficult. Not many hotels have chargers, and often the ones that do cannot reserve them for you. For example the Hyatt Place in El Segundo has a GE Wattstation up front, and the night I stayed there it was taken by a PiP (of course) all night.

Good luck!

Last edited:
If there is something obviously wrong, please let me know.

Not a biggie, but the location at 11163 Santa Monica Blvd. in West Los Angeles is actually a service center, not a store.

I'm guessing the store at 3rd St. Promenade in Santa Monica does not have the space to do charges, but the store at the Westfield Mall in Century City might? Neither of those are on the map; maybe worth adding?

3rd Street Promenade | Tesla Store Locations | Tesla Motors
Century City | Tesla Store Locations | Tesla Motors

I did this the other way around in my RAV4 EV which is also about 40kWh. I picked it up in Oxnard and drove home to Los Altos with an overnight in San Luis Obispo. Usefully spaced high current J1772's are at:
Rabobank Salinas
Atascadero Supercharger (Rabobank)
Rabobank Santa Maria
Rabobank Goleta

Santa Cruz to Atascadero may be pushing it. King City has a ChargePoint if you need it for backup, but it's at the midpoint, so you may not know you needed it until you've passed it.
If you need San Luis Obispo, I recommend SLO Promenade. However, the Atascadero Rabobank will be faster and you will probably need the energy to make it over the Cuesta Grade between Atascadero and SLO.