Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive off while still plugged in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, so i'm setting up an appointment to get my charger installed and the installer asked a question I didn't know the answer to.
If the car is plugged in and you put the car into drive (or reverse), is there a warning or something to stop the car from driving off while still plugged in?

If not, I might have to set up something special to avoid this from happening.

What kind of "drive off prevention" is there at a gas station?

Situation 1: Someone drives to a gas station and fills up their car with gas over a period of a few minutes. When the machine "pops" to complete, they forget to take out the hose and just drive off.
Situation 2: Someone leaves their car plugged in, potentially for several days. Some morning, for a trip to Dunkin Donuts for coffee, they drive off forgetting to unplug.

I think it's safe to see that situation 2 is much more likely than situation 1. Situation 1 does still happen of course which is why all pump hoses have special disconnect apparatus to avoid major spills. It seems simple and sensible not to allow the car to drive off if the charger is plugged in (whether charging or not). The same could be done for ICEs if the issue was big enough.

The electric BMW ActiveE has a preventive measure that prohibits me from "starting" the car while it is still plugged into the charger.
Its only annoying until someone (not my daughter, surely) tries to yank the charger off the wall by backing out of the garage without bothering to unplug it.

With the Model S, since there is no start procedure other than walking up to it and getting in, I would imagine that it prohibits you from putting it in gear.

-- Ardie
The charger *does* have a breakaway charging cable, just in case.

I think it's safe to see that situation 2 is much more likely than situation 1. Situation 1 does still happen of course which is why all pump hoses have special disconnect apparatus to avoid major spills. It seems simple and sensible not to allow the car to drive off if the charger is plugged in (whether charging or not). The same could be done for ICEs if the issue was big enough.

ALL electric cars are disabled when plugged in. Situation 2 is never possible. As for ICEs, as Doug said, the Tesla Roadster is disabled when the port door is open. No reason that a Gasoline car could not do this as well. If they did that maybe you would not see this. (I have)
fail-owned-gas-nozzle-fail.jpg
1646181-L.jpg
driving-off.jpg
capt.dcpm10904272019.gas_prices_dcpm109.jpg
Gas_pump_fire.jpg
gas-hose-e1344611315975.jpg
GasPump-761105.jpg
pumping-gas-fail.jpg
shell2.jpg

ALL electric cars are disabled when plugged in. Situation 2 is never possible. As for ICEs, as Doug said, the Tesla Roadster is disabled when the port door is open. No reason that a Gasoline car could not do this as well. If they did that maybe you would not see this. (I have)

So I guess I missed the point of your first post. If you knew this, why didn't you answer the guys question (as later responders did)? :)

Nice photos, one more reason to go electric (safety) although my diesel won't go up in flames either.