Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive on Navigation being released

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like it will have the confirm mechanism until it gets enough miles driven to turn off.

815F098B-663A-45DB-ABB3-B1CCADAA7ACD.jpeg

CEB5B399-DD2C-44E8-823B-89BC1A56F6D6.jpeg

So 50,000 vehicles have to drive 200 miles with AP?

Wonder how that will take.

I imagine there are well in excess of 100K Tesla vehicles with AP2.

So that's 100 miles per vehicle which seems really low.

It's probably more like an iterative process.

Where they release the update, and then gather data for 10M miles where they then make a decision on whether to improve it or to allow for unprompted drive on nav.

It's probably going to take a couple update cycles to get to that.

Once we get the update, each of us needs to drive 18 hours a day on AP. If we all do it, we’ll take away the confirmation requirement in a couple days.

100 miles with Drive on Nav would take me 2 weeks :( Yesterday I was pulled by a cop because the buzzed driving style; which was the result of using Drive on Nav with MadMax settings.

100 miles with Drive on Nav would take me 2 weeks :( Yesterday I was pulled by a cop because the buzzed driving style; which was the result of using Drive on Nav with MadMax settings.

Ever since AP came out way back in 2015 people have talked about being pulled over while on AP because of ping-ponging in the lane or some behavior of AP.

I have the same impression today as I did back then.

How did you get to the point of allowing it to continue to happen to the point where you didn't simply stop using it?

I can certainly understand a few glitches here, and there but a cop won't pull someone over for that. A cop stays behind someone and evaluates it for much longer than that.

You're a member of the early access program, but that doesn't mean your somehow obligated to use a feature. Especially when it puts other drivers in danger or on guard.

If I was driving near you I'd see you as an annoyance.

Ever since AP came out way back in 2015 people have talked about being pulled over while on AP because of ping-ponging in the lane or some behavior of AP.

I have the same impression today as I did back then.

How did you get to the point of allowing it to continue to happen to the point where you didn't simply stop using it?

I can certainly understand a few glitches here, and there but a cop won't pull someone over for that. A cop stays behind someone and evaluates it for much longer than that.

You're a member of the early access program, but that doesn't mean your somehow obligated to use a feature. Especially when it puts other drivers in danger or on guard.

If I was driving near you I'd see you as an annoyance.

It wasn’t ping pong. It tried to change the lane but was unabled to complete that. It resulted the car turned on the signal, moved a little bit to right/left lane, then in the half way it turned off the signal, moved back to the previous lane.

I’m not a member of an Early Access Program. So I’m freely to talk about it. The drive on Nav is only useful on light/no-traffic freeway and/or you don’t care about your turn signal suddently turn on before it asks you to confirm the lane change.

• Informative
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
It wasn’t ping pong. It tried to change the lane but was unabled to complete that. It resulted the car turned on the signal, moved a little bit to right/left lane, then in the half way it turned off the signal, moved back to the previous lane.

I’m not a member of an Early Access Program. So I’m freely to talk about it. The drive on Nav is only useful on light/no-traffic freeway and/or you don’t care about your turn signal suddently turn on before it asks you to confirm the lane change.

Ugh, so it turns the signal before asking for confirmation? Seems like it should ask first and do it after, right?

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Ugh, so it turns the signal before asking for confirmation? Seems like it should ask first and do it after, right?
Yes, it does ask then if you confirm, it turns on the signal. But sometimes, something went wrong - the signal was blinking without my confirmation - but the car didn’t change lane until I confirmed. Probably related to the AP computer processing power. Mine is 2.0.

You seriously got pulled over for that?

My AP2 car running V9 (2018.39.7) has done that or something similar.

Heck my AP1 car would sometimes fail a lane change as well.

I've failed a lane change myself from simply going "Wait, no I've changed my mind".

As to my assumption about you being an early access owner I assumed that because you posted observations about it in an early access firmware version thread.

Post #25.
Software Update 2018.41

Last edited:
Yes, it does ask then if you confirm, it turns on the signal. But sometimes, something went wrong - the signal was blinking without my confirmation - but the car didn’t change lane until I confirmed. Probably related to the AP computer processing power. Mine is 2.0.

As I understand it the only computer processing power difference between the 2.0, and 2.5 is the later has an extra SOC. To my knowledge this isn't being used for driving functionality. On V9 it's being used for dash cam.

I don't think there is any difference processing speed wise for EAP driving tasks. I think it's just a bug that you experienced. There are also differences in other hardware. So I could easily see this as being a bug that only impacted certain hardware configurations.

Do you have the latest version that went wide tonight?