Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive on Navigation being released

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a link to the big post on the new feature: Introducing Navigate on Autopilot

I like that there is an explanation of what the various settings mean from “mild” to mad max. It sounds like how often the car tries to change lanes will be determined by that setting (not necessarily how small a gap it wants to squeeze into). I like that, because I don’t usually mind if the guy in front is only going a couple mph slower than me when using AP, I really only worry about taking action when I am going a lot slower behind someone.

I am going to watch it like a hawk. I have noticed that cars that are just off my bumper, but not technically in my blind spot don’t show up on the visualizations. They are close enough that I would be cutting them off if I changed lanes in front of them in anything but heavy traffic. AP often drives like an a-hole, and I am sure this will add to that as the car will probably take any open space regardless of traffic etiquette.

Ever since AP came out way back in 2015 people have talked about being pulled over while on AP because of ping-ponging in the lane or some behavior of AP.

I have the same impression today as I did back then.

How did you get to the point of allowing it to continue to happen to the point where you didn't simply stop using it?
Over the past 3 years I have driven thousands of miles on Auto Pilot and have never been “pulled over” while using it, nor have I felt that it was so poor at lane keeping that it wasn’t worth using. I almost always use it when on freeways or rural highways with no cross traffic.

Ugh, so it turns the signal before asking for confirmation? Seems like it should ask first and do it after, right?
No, it does not turn on the signal first; it asks first.

Navigate on Auto Pilot first shows you on the display that it is recommending a lane change and asks you to confirm it by using the turn signal, unless the lane change is to take a freeway exit, in which case when you are approaching the exit it shows a message that the exit is approaching, then activates the turn signal and then takes the exit. On the off ramp there is a specific chime indicating that Navigate on Auto Pilot is ending (and it shows a distance for when it will end) and then it ends but lane keeping and TACC stay on. TACC automatically slows the car. At that point it is up to the driver to take control.

The car interface is pretty clear about what it is doing, and it works very well in my experience. The driver of course has to pay attention, as usual. No aspect of Auto Pilot is perfect. Neither are human drivers. Obviously

I have noticed that cars that are just off my bumper, but not technically in my blind spot don’t show up on the visualizations. They are close enough that I would be cutting them off if I changed lanes in front of them in anything but heavy traffic. AP often drives like an a-hole, and I am sure this will add to that as the car will probably take any open space regardless of traffic etiquette
That has not been my experience so far when using V9 and Navigate on Auto Pilot. Cars close to me at both rear quarters are visualized on the display and if I activate the turn signal the car will not change lanes into them. So far I have not seen my car fail to visualize cars in my rear quarter.

That said, Auto Pilot is not perfect and could potentially miss a car soI always check for vehicles visually. My primary check is the rear view camera image, which I keep on most of the time. I also use the side mirrors, which I have positioned to show the “blind spots” (there should not be any blind spots with proper mirror positioning).

Over the past 3 years I have driven thousands of miles on Auto Pilot and have never been “pulled over” while using it, nor have I felt that it was so poor at lane keeping that it wasn’t worth using. I almost always use it when on freeways or rural highways with no cross traffic.

Just to clarify my comment.

What I was getting at is that a "I got pulled over because of AP" is nothing we haven't heard before on here. I'm sure in those 3 years you've seen those posts a few times. It doesn't happen often.

In my own experience with AP1 I stopped using it because of an occasional truck lust incident. With that one we saw a lot more posts than the "I got pulled over" type post.

So far in my experience with AP2 I haven't really had anything all that significant. I wouldn't say it's absolutely rock solid, but it's likely better than a human for long trips. Humans have a tendency to lose focus and drift.

I probably still won't use it extensively until it has debris detection, and better lane positioning. I'm really anxious to try this update as I think it will help it not take exits it's not supposed to.[/QUOTE]

That has not been my experience so far when using V9 and Navigate on Auto Pilot. Cars close to me at both rear quarters are visualized on the display and if I activate the turn signal the car will not change lanes into them. So far I have not seen my car fail to visualize cars in my rear quarter.

That said, Auto Pilot is not perfect and could potentially miss a car soI always check for vehicles visually. My primary check is the rear view camera image, which I keep on most of the time. I also use the side mirrors, which I have positioned to show the “blind spots” (there should not be any blind spots with proper mirror positioning).

Yeah, I haven't quite figured out a pattern, but it seems to happen more often when the car in the other lane is passing me going a bit faster. I can see them in my side mirror just behind my bumper (mirrors adjusted properly for my blind spots) and the car doesnt display them until they are actually at my rear quarter.

Sure, AP could change lanes and not hit them, but it wouldnt be polite driving behavior as they would have to brake.

That has not been my experience so far when using V9 and Navigate on Auto Pilot. Cars close to me at both rear quarters are visualized on the display

Was able to document the phenonoma this morning. I haven't tried engaging my blinker to see what the car would do, as I don't like testing that sort of stuff in traffic. Will be interesting once I get the NoA update. Maybe my cameras are out of calibration.

20181029_083901.jpg

Was able to document the phenonoma this morning. I haven't tried engaging my blinker to see what the car would do, as I don't like testing that sort of stuff in traffic. Will be interesting once I get the NoA update. Maybe my cameras are out of calibration.

View attachment 348093
Wow, that is clear and convincing evidence that the screen visualization does not always work in identifying cars in the blind spot! To me, relying on the turn signal to activate the red line on the screen is not ideal either (assuming it works), as it requires glancing in the wrong direction while trying to make a lane change. Optional auditory feedback would be better. A visual on the appropriate rear view mirror would be super helpful, but this would require new hardware.

• Disagree
Reactions: xyeahtony

View attachment 348093

FWIW it doesn’t technically look like that car is in your blind spot or even creeping up on your rear quarterpanel. I’ve had a few cases on 39.6 where a car doesn’t appear on the screen but flicking on the blinker results in the red lane line appearing.

Right now it seems like it’s more of an accurate to scale surround view as opposed to a lane change assistant. Hopefully they change their minds about this behavior in the future and you can select the level of courtesy you want in a lane change.

Ideally it should both be able to indicate lane changes that inconvenience drivers in other lanes as well as be able to accurately tell you whether or not you’re going to hit the car next to you if you really desperately have to get over. Most of the German BSMs I’ve had before are great at the former but just terrible at the latter. You still ultimately have to ignore the BSM warning and trust your judgement when desperate to move over, and that should be a solvable problem.

Reactions: T-Will
FWIW it doesn’t technically look like that car is in your blind spot or even creeping up on your rear quarterpanel. I’ve had a few cases on 39.6 where a car doesn’t appear on the screen but flicking on the blinker results in the red lane line appearing

Agreed, I could have changed lanes and not hit that guy. He wasn't in my blind spot. But he would have had to brake and probably would have been very unhappy with me. The context for this was that I am going to watch NoA like a hawk, to see if it suggests lane changes even with someone positioned in the lane as shown. This all becomes a much bigger deal once the option to remove the confirmation is released and the car makes its own own choice.

I was taught to have the person visible in my rear view mirror prior to making a lane change in front of them. That automatically leaves them the proper follow distance spacing. I understand here in CA, that is an extremely conservative way to drive, but I still hope we eventually get options to customize that

Agreed, I could have changed lanes and not hit that guy. He wasn't in my blind spot. But he would have had to brake and probably would have been very unhappy with me. The context for this was that I am going to watch NoA like a hawk, to see if it suggests lane changes even with someone positioned in the lane as shown. This all becomes a much bigger deal once the option to remove the confirmation is released and the car makes its own own choice.

I was taught to have the person visible in my rear view mirror prior to making a lane change in front of them. That automatically leaves them the proper follow distance spacing. I understand here in CA, that is an extremely conservative way to drive, but I still hope we eventually get options to customize that

I'm not sure it would have changed lanes.

I had a similar incident happen with V9 AP (without driving on nav) where I attempted an automatic lane change with a car to my right slightly back a little further than it was on yours. I didn't see it on the screen, but I did see it in my mirror.

I assumed it would do the auto-lane change into that lane as it had enough room. But, then it just showed the red line when I turned on the blinker for the auto-lane change.

Now that doesn't rule out the possibility that the other car accelerated as soon as it saw my blinkers.

I do know if I was driving manual I have gotten over, and I probably wouldn't have even looked at the screen. I'd prefer some kind of heptic feedback.

With that being said I do hope they make the change to always show red when you can't change lanes. That way we can get a better gauge of the detection space, and accuracy of the detection.

Reactions: Az_Rael