Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive through car wash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any issues driving through an automatic car wash? Selector in neutral of course and I suppose suspension on very high to avoid issues with wheel guides. Anything else?

Thanks
I haven't looked lately, but I recall seeing a least a couple old threads about running through automated car washes. Might try the search engine. As for me, I don't use them for the Teslas.

Car washes with brushes will rough up your paint. Touchless should be fine.

Put it in neutral and keep your seatbelt on. If your seatbelt isn't buckled and you shift in your seat it will shift into park automatically.

Turn off auto-wipers.

Yeah, I had a guy rent my car and ended up getting my car rear-ended in the car wash for exactly that............

My SC warned me that it could cause damage to the parking sensors.
That sounds odd. Hard to imagine that Tesla and many other car manufacturers that use the same sensors would put them on a car without thinking about it or testing the results in a car wash. I'm not believing it. My other car with similar sensors had gone through a LOT of car washes without issues. I don't run the Tesla through automated washes for other reasons, but I'm not concerned about this reason.

To people saying « no car wash » like it was a Piece of art: my 2017 S (black) has horrible painting (orange skin type), I never owned a car with so sub par painting quality. Isn’t it your case?
No, my paint is perfect. However, I did get Xpel Ulimate and CQuartz finest applied shortly after delivery, so that might have something to do with it. I also treat it like a piece of art, and don't mind spending a half hour a week with a microfiber towel or two.

Reactions: Don TLR
No, my paint is perfect. However, I did get Xpel Ulimate and CQuartz finest applied shortly after delivery, so that might have something to do with it. I also treat it like a piece of art, and don't mind spending a half hour a week with a microfiber towel or two.
mine arrived like a peeled orange, the SC ack'ed it, and found lots of other reference to a similar look in the forums. I don't think adding any product to it would change anything (I added some stuff afterwards, but it just makes maintenance easier, it doesn't structurally change the painting. What's your color? Mine is black.

Mine is blue. My installer did say the car needed a lot of paint correction before application. He also said this was typical of Tesla's, so I do agree their paint process is less than optimal.

You might try discussing your paint with a detailer. They might be able to fix your issues, although it may run you about $1000.

I thought i read on another car wash thread to put it in "tow" mode so that the seat belt or butt off the seat accident cant happen...

I think I tried this once and it was tough to get back into Drive at the End of the Conveyor.
I just use Neutral. Be Warned you have to hit Brake (at least partially) to get back into Drive.
Stay in Seat! Do Not Put your Wallet away or Pull Out for Tipping... etc...
Auto Wipers OFF
Following that everything has been fine after Several Washes.
As far as Swirls being Caused, I'll just hit it with my Polisher. Plus the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant I've been using on other cars seems to hold up well against Potential Swirls.