TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Drive to get PPF immediately after delivery?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by clicketyclack, Aug 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. rhaekar

rhaekar Member

Honestly, I think you'll be fine. Enjoy the car and don't sweat the little things.

• Like x 1
  2. anhnguyen

anhnguyen Member

...drove mine right after delivery..didnt want to risk chips for the 40 mile drive home..

3. CactusOne

CactusOne Member

I wish Tesla offered PPF as an option at the delivery center.

Arizona is notorious for paint and window chips. Been living here 20 years and every year I have to get a new windshield. Thank goodness for glass coverage.

I still got a chip going 30MPH on a city street on my way to get the PPF..I have a P model on oder and I am thinking about having a flat bed take it straight to the PPF installer after inspection and pickup.

4. CrazyCoconut

CrazyCoconut Member

Check out XPEL's temp wrap:

XPEL Tracwrap - XPEL

It's made for folks who take their car to the track, and thus only need PPF for a short time. That will get you to your (permanent) PPF installer. In fact, with the temp wrap on, you can take your time doing that.

5. StellarRat

StellarRat Active Member

PPF = Protective Plastic Film? If so how much does that cost?

6. anhnguyen

anhnguyen Member

...paint protection film..

7. Promo714

Promo714 Member

I picked up my red M3 around 4:30 in the afternoon and then drove it home and parked it until I could find someone to do PPF and ceramic coat the entire car as soon as possible. That turned out to be Tesla RPM here in SoCal. I had called around and they were more expensive but had an opening the soonest and I wanted it done now!

After taking it in to them they started pointing out paint issues from what they said looked like it had been taken through a brush car wash. I'm not that observant apparently and didn't really notice it until they pointed it out. I ended up having to pay for additional paint correction labor but I am very happy with RPM's work and the result.

I personally wouldn't wait and would park the car and drive it as little as possible until PPF is installed. But that's me. However, I will say that I have a 2015 Model S (with the black nose cone) without PPF and I only have one paint chip on the front paint area and none on the hood, although I suspect the nose cone absorbed more than a few rock strikes that don't really show.

8. HelloJohnny

HelloJohnny Member

Just a suggestion from me: I only drove about 75 miles before being able to book an appointment for PPF and ceramic coating.

It better to do it sooner rather than later so the shop can have more time to do any paint correction needed before getting the wrap done. The longer you hold off, the more paint correction and possible paint chips are introduced to your car.

9. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

#29 SMAlset, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Man consider yourself lucky that you're detailer can get you in right after picking it up! I know it's tough dropping it off right after picking it up but it's really preferable. Otherwise you can see corrective work needing to be done and then wait til its set before they can start on the film so take even longer. We took our MS directly to our guys when we picked it up and I can tell you it will be the longest week, but you can check in on the app every so often to see the car...fun to see what doors/hood, trunk is open every so often and you'll feel like progress is being made, just don't activate anything and especially don't honk the horn and don't check in too often. But you'll live. ;)

Now I'm in the other situation now with my Model 3. Ready to pick up car but first appointment we could get isn't until October, which we took. Another place was even months out from that. With Model 3 and Teslas in general so popular in the SF bay area and many owners wanting to get their cars filmed a good detailer is pretty busy right now and probably will be for some time to come. Might slow down when the standard car comes out assuming not as many owners will spring for the film to keep costs down.

How are people around the country finding the film wait to be where you live?

10. clicketyclack

clicketyclack Member

[QUOTE="SMAlset, post: 2937443, member: 58485".

How are people around the country finding the film wait to be where you live?[/QUOTE]

Was told the xpel stealth was just taken off backorder, so no wait to speak of

11. clicketyclack

clicketyclack Member

For a full wrap it can cost up to $7500, I was able to find a reputable spot that charges $4500 -$5000. Most people just get the bumper, hood and mirrors done, but since I am doing the stealth I'm getting the whole car.

12. YauKwan

YauKwan Member

if you are going to get it wrapped, you can ask Tesla to not detail it and leave the transport film on. That way its protected on the way to installer. The PPF installer will remove the transport film, do paint correction and apply film.

13. nospam4chris

nospam4chris Member

Wouldn't you run the risk of missing possible errors that might be hidden with the transport film? Don't get me wrong, I think that could be a great idea for protection, I would just be worried that a flaw that you would otherwise catch, might be missed. Maybe it's low risk though.

14. YauKwan

YauKwan Member

It will not, and in fact will prevent Tesla detailers from marring your paint and adding swirls to the clear coat. You can ask the PPF installer to note any major imperfections and document with pictures before they work on the car. Tesla is really good at resolving problems after delivery.

At delivery you can still review issues like large panel gaps. Overall i've seen less and less delivery issues, so i don't even know what errors to look for.

15. UltralightBeam

My PPF facility of choice is at LEAST 4 weeks out booked...

16. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

Mine is going straight to my detailer. lol

17. StellarRat

StellarRat Active Member

That's a lot of money. I believe I could get the entire car repainted for quite a bit less than that assuming no body work was required.

18. artsci

artsci Sponsor

What makes your PPF dealer think the paint is perfect on delivery? It makes sense to always have the paint/finish corrected, even if it’s new, before you have PPF applied.

19. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

I got a rock chip on the 2nd day I had my Model S.

20. UltralightBeam

I wonder how many get chips just from transportation to your service center.