Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive to get PPF immediately after delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish Tesla offered PPF as an option at the delivery center.

Arizona is notorious for paint and window chips. Been living here 20 years and every year I have to get a new windshield. Thank goodness for glass coverage.

I still got a chip going 30MPH on a city street on my way to get the PPF..I have a P model on oder and I am thinking about having a flat bed take it straight to the PPF installer after inspection and pickup.

I wish Tesla offered PPF as an option at the delivery center.

Arizona is notorious for paint and window chips. Been living here 20 years and every year I have to get a new windshield. Thank goodness for glass coverage.

I still got a chip going 30MPH on a city street on my way to get the PPF..I have a P model on oder and I am thinking about having a flat bed take it straight to the PPF installer after inspection and pickup.
Check out XPEL's temp wrap:

XPEL Tracwrap - XPEL

It's made for folks who take their car to the track, and thus only need PPF for a short time. That will get you to your (permanent) PPF installer. In fact, with the temp wrap on, you can take your time doing that.

I picked up my red M3 around 4:30 in the afternoon and then drove it home and parked it until I could find someone to do PPF and ceramic coat the entire car as soon as possible. That turned out to be Tesla RPM here in SoCal. I had called around and they were more expensive but had an opening the soonest and I wanted it done now!

After taking it in to them they started pointing out paint issues from what they said looked like it had been taken through a brush car wash. I'm not that observant apparently and didn't really notice it until they pointed it out. I ended up having to pay for additional paint correction labor but I am very happy with RPM's work and the result.

I personally wouldn't wait and would park the car and drive it as little as possible until PPF is installed. But that's me. However, I will say that I have a 2015 Model S (with the black nose cone) without PPF and I only have one paint chip on the front paint area and none on the hood, although I suspect the nose cone absorbed more than a few rock strikes that don't really show.

Just a suggestion from me: I only drove about 75 miles before being able to book an appointment for PPF and ceramic coating.

It better to do it sooner rather than later so the shop can have more time to do any paint correction needed before getting the wrap done. The longer you hold off, the more paint correction and possible paint chips are introduced to your car.

Man consider yourself lucky that you're detailer can get you in right after picking it up! I know it's tough dropping it off right after picking it up but it's really preferable. Otherwise you can see corrective work needing to be done and then wait til its set before they can start on the film so take even longer. We took our MS directly to our guys when we picked it up and I can tell you it will be the longest week, but you can check in on the app every so often to see the car...fun to see what doors/hood, trunk is open every so often and you'll feel like progress is being made, just don't activate anything and especially don't honk the horn and don't check in too often. But you'll live. ;)

Now I'm in the other situation now with my Model 3. Ready to pick up car but first appointment we could get isn't until October, which we took. Another place was even months out from that. With Model 3 and Teslas in general so popular in the SF bay area and many owners wanting to get their cars filmed a good detailer is pretty busy right now and probably will be for some time to come. Might slow down when the standard car comes out assuming not as many owners will spring for the film to keep costs down.

How are people around the country finding the film wait to be where you live?

Last edited:
if you are going to get it wrapped, you can ask Tesla to not detail it and leave the transport film on. That way its protected on the way to installer. The PPF installer will remove the transport film, do paint correction and apply film.

if you are going to get it wrapped, you can ask Tesla to not detail it and leave the transport film on. That way its protected on the way to installer. The PPF installer will remove the transport film, do paint correction and apply film.

Wouldn't you run the risk of missing possible errors that might be hidden with the transport film? Don't get me wrong, I think that could be a great idea for protection, I would just be worried that a flaw that you would otherwise catch, might be missed. Maybe it's low risk though.

Wouldn't you run the risk of missing possible errors that might be hidden with the transport film? Don't get me wrong, I think that could be a great idea for protection, I would just be worried that a flaw that you would otherwise catch, might be missed. Maybe it's low risk though.

It will not, and in fact will prevent Tesla detailers from marring your paint and adding swirls to the clear coat. You can ask the PPF installer to note any major imperfections and document with pictures before they work on the car. Tesla is really good at resolving problems after delivery.

At delivery you can still review issues like large panel gaps. Overall i've seen less and less delivery issues, so i don't even know what errors to look for.