TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Drive trains MS

Discussion in 'Florida' started by bobbo, Aug 10, 2014.

1. bobbo

bobbo New Member

Just finished reading about quite a number of drive train replacements on the Tesla forum and on Edmunds. A little unsettling. Has anyone experienced the need to replace the drive train? Even more unsettling is that Tesla is prohibited from selling an extended warranty in Florida. Another win for the auto dealers and insurance lobbies.

2. JPP

JPP Active Member

Please take a few minutes to peruse these forums (use search) and also use volkerize.com to search the official TM forums. Way too much info already posted on this subject. Yes, some drive units replaced, mostly for noise issues, not actual failures.

3. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

Hi Bob,

With regard to the multi-year service plans and extendy warranty issue in Florida, please refer to our private forum.

Larry

4. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Elon made specific comments about drive train replacements during the last TSLA quarterly analyst call. The cliff notes version is that today, they replace the entire drive train for even the most minor issue because it gets the customer back up and running quicker, so it's really about making the customer happy. In the future, they will have ways for service centers to service the drivetrains onsite. The analogy he made was that imagine you had to replace the engine on an ICE if a gasket went bad. It remains to be seen what exactly will happen going forward, especially as people's warranties start running out, but I think Tesla will do the right thing here, so I'm not terribly worried. Also, specifically regarding the Edmunds car, he mentioned that there were quite a few drivetrain replacements due to a noise issue that turned out to be some kind of cable that kept moving and coming into contact with the drive unit which in-turn transmitted the sound up into the car. The real fix was a $3 tie wrap to hold the cable in place, but because they hadn't diagnosed the issue properly, they replaced the drivetrain which would fix the issue for some time until that cable would move around and get in the place to cause the problem again. He specifically said that two of Edmund's replacements were due to this issue. Obviously now they know and have learned their lesson. I think in general, there have been very few drivetrain "failures" and most of the replacements have been for issues of the drivetrain making some sounds that they shouldn't be making.

5. Seven7

Seven7 Member

No longer a concern, Tesla just upped the warranty on the drive train to 8 years and unlimited miles. :smile:

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Overstatement.

Less of a concern, not a removed concern -- especially for those of us that plan to keep the vehicle for more than 8 years.

7. BlkCld

BlkCld Member

If you were concerned about cost I am sure after 8 years there will be scrapyards with ones that are totaled with useable drive units.
    My guess it would be in CA with the amount on the road there. Any entrepreneurs up for a Tesla scrapyard?

8. Bill D

Bill D Member

I think 8 years from now, Tesla drive units being inexpensively rebuilt by independent local shops is highly possible. Maybe even with more power. Any entrepreneurs up for a Tesla SpeedShop?