Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive unit clunk sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whats up everyone! I just thought I would share a recent SC visit to have my 2013 MS P85 with 63k miles looked at. So last week we had an appointment to have the newly replace drive unit checked out. Apparently, when I shift into reverse I get a little clunk sound, also while in reverse, once I apply the brakes I hear some type of play as well, like a clunk sound again. The funny part is, when we went to the Pomona SC, the lady that was helping me brought up that it might be my subframe? I was like what? Are you kidding me! So I said I don’t see how that would be the issue, but let’s just see what you guys find when you look into it. Just out of curiosity I asked “ what’s the worse case, if it’s what you think” even thought she never gave me a real part or a confident answer that she understood theses cars. She said oh $1900.00. It’s Monday 6/3 I’m waiting to see the verdict. I can tell you, it’s highly unlikely I’ll give up $1900 easy. Diy till I die! Unless I absolutely have to.

A friend of mine had similar sounds after rear drive unit replacement. (not immediately). It turned out the unit was improperly fastened, some screws missing. There are simply some SC one should avoid at all costs. Tesla is obviously failing to manage to the bottom level and the quality of SC depends on the local SC managers more than anything...

Some self adjusting brake systems will make a sound when the car is reversed. If the brakes are wet when the car is parked, the brakes can make a thunk sound when the car is backed the first time. By all means have it checked out, but we should find out what it is before automatically assuming incompetence on the part of the Tesla repair team, or presuming presence of an unlikely, but expensive frame failure.

Some self adjusting brake systems will make a sound when the car is reversed. If the brakes are wet when the car is parked, the brakes can make a thunk sound when the car is backed the first time. By all means have it checked out, but we should find out what it is before automatically assuming incompetence on the part of the Tesla repair team, or presuming presence of an unlikely, but expensive frame failure.

Sounds like you are talking drum brakes, not applicable here.

Sounds like you are talking drum brakes, not applicable here.

A valid point. Still there can be a clunk when part of the braking system (whether the main pads or part of the parking brake system) sticks to the disk and releases with a clunk and a bit of a jerk.

The point is that it may be premature to assume there was repair incompetence or a frame failure.

That’s what my instincts say, hoping it’s something they missed on the install. The car felt fine other than that. As for the wet it’s always in the garage but brakes sticking did cross my mind. I hope it’s not anything dealing with the subframe. I’ll post for sure when they get back to me. Subframe at 62k miles won’t make me feel confident in their product. I do love my car though!!

Just searched the forum for subframe, found this thread. To satisfy anyone who might be curious as to cost of subframe repairs, my 2015 Model S is at the service center and will have its subframe in the front replaced for $3400. Car has 69k miles on it. I didn't wreck it. Don't even remember hitting any big potholes. I'm not as big a Tesla fan today as I was yesterday, that's for sure.

Man that sucks to hear about your car. Tesla won’t pick up the bill. They tried to tell me something about my subframe too when I took mine in. I said if you replaced the whole drive unit then I shouldn’t have any sun frame issues cause it’s all part of the job. Short story, I didn’t pay a dime. It barely has 67k miles now.