Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive Unit Failure after Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my first road trip in my model S (2015 P85D). Drove from NYC to Nashville and back to see the eclipse. The drive was great for the most part. Had some extra stops due to range anxiety. Used a blink charging station for the first time. Tried to use an extension cord to charge once which failed miserably. Ran down the battery to stated range of 6 miles once. Drove over 2000 miles in about 6 days.

However, the main issue started on the return trip. The car started giving a warning "Car May Not Restart". Looked this up and though it could be 12V battery or DCDC charger problem. However, it gave this warning for 2 days in a row without any changes in driving or charging. Continued to use superchargers and trip was uneventful.

The day after returning home, I brought the car to Tesla Service. As I parked the car in the lot, the PRND letters turned red. As if the car knew it was time to give up the ghost. Tesla looked over the car and declared that I needed a new drive unit. Fair enough. Not terribly worried. I had thought my drive unit made a little noise but never was worried about it.

I got the car back 2 days ago and its driving fine. Slightly quieter than before. However, it seems like my wh/mi has gotten worse. My regular commute with AC on would previously net me about 350 (and it was hotter). Now, with the AC off I am getting about the same wh/mi.

Should I be worried? I have not notified my SC yet. Want to get more data.

How many miles on your odometer when this occurred?

Which drive unit did Tesla replace? (front or rear)

Just curious since I also have a 2015 P85D that's running great... although the front drive unit does make a little whining noise which Tesla SC said was normal. I think the front drive unit is just whining because the back drive unit is so much larger. Unit size envy is real. LOL

I am glad that you were able to make it home without any problems on the road but next time you ar anyone else sees a warning like that pop up call it in to tesla immediately because as you saw it could render the car inoperable at anytime without notice.

I got the car back 2 days ago and its driving fine. Slightly quieter than before. However, it seems like my wh/mi has gotten worse. My regular commute with AC on would previously net me about 350 (and it was hotter). Now, with the AC off I am getting about the same wh/mi.

Should I be worried? I have not notified my SC yet. Want to get more data.

Yes, you should be worried. You should be worried that your tire pressures are too low.

Depending on where you're reading that figure, it may refer to drive unit energy consumption only and neglect accessory consumption. And thus the numbers should be the same.

I am glad that you were able to make it home without any problems on the road but next time you ar anyone else sees a warning like that pop up call it in to tesla immediately because as you saw it could render the car inoperable at anytime without notice.

I did call tesla and their response was to be prepared to stop at any time. They said I could stop and go to the nearest SC but it wasn't really an option with full car and nowhere to stay plus needing to be back at work. Thankfully the worst case of needing a tow did not happen.