Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive unit failure, car says Pull Over Safely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
twitter link for pics and retweets: Alexander Jogthong on Twitter

First off, I just purchased a brand new 2019 Model 3 Standard Range Plus on June 23, 2019 from the Tesla Dealership on a Tyco Road in McLean, VA. It has roughly 6,000miles. My wife and I were in the car driving north on the highway (which had no shoulders), and my Model 3 tells me to Pull Over Safely. It cuts the acceleration and we begin to slow... we turn the hazards on and move as far to the right as possible.

I immediately call the Tesla Roadside Assistance number and he tells me he has no idea why it’s giving me the message. He tells me to power down the car by going through the settings interface. When it does that, the hazards turned off. For 2 minutes we sat there looking in the rear view mirror as cars come flying towards us and slamming their breaks. My wife begins to cry by the 3rd or 4th person who nearly hits us. We decide to get out of the vehicle, And stand on the side of the road.

The road side assistance representative told us that we will have to get it towed, because he doesn’t know what was wrong with it. So he scheduled a tow and told us it’ll be 55minutes... my wife and I ended up being late to work... we decided to stand outside for several minutes and a cop pulls up behind us and tells us that we are blocking a freeway and he will call a tow truck. I told him not to, because I already had one on the way. He said he has to call anyway, and whichever tow truck gets there first will take my car away. I couldn’t really tell him no...? Anyway, his tow truck came within 10 minutes.

The service I received from that tow truck person was terrible. He was all greasy oily and sat in my seats and yelled at me to help him out with moving the car and steering. After all this, I contacted the road side assistance rep and told him that the cop’s tow truck already arrived. He told me that Tesla won’t reimburse me for this tow.

That’s insane! All of this is the TESLA MODEL 3’s fault, and I AM PAYING FOR IT. Ridiculous. Terrible quality, terrible service. Very disappointed. While I am at this, I will say that my experience from day 1 has been lack luster. The first day I received my Tesla I had large bubbles in the rubber door seals. I asked Tesla to fix these and they made me bring it to the service center, and they called me 10hr later to pick it up, and they didn’t fix ANY bubbles. But they told me it was done, and to pick up my car. Wow.

Way to go. Post all over social media. That'll get their attention. Ever hear of simply writing a letter to Tesla?

*sugar* happens. With ANY car. Yours warned you to pull over safely. When they said ty powering down the car, did you not realize powering down would ummmmm kill all power?

Yes. It sucks. But your 1st world whining and crying... a bit overboard.

Actually posting on social media is a very good way to get their attention. That's what I had to do when the EXACT same thing happened to me 3P+. I love my Model 3, but the same thing happened to me 4 days after delivery.

The problem with the Model 3 rear drive unit failing is actually more common than you may want to think if you search Google for it.

And Elon's tweet about the front drive unit taking over if the rear unit fails is obviously wrong because in every case posted online, the car had to be towed.

Actually posting on social media is a very good way to get their attention. That's what I had to do when the EXACT same thing happened to me 3P+. I love my Model 3, but the same thing happened to me 4 days after delivery.

The problem with the Model 3 rear drive unit failing is actually more common than you may want to think if you search Google for it.

And Elon's tweet about the front drive unit taking over if the rear unit fails is obviously wrong because in every case posted online, the car had to be towed.

I disagree. Service is going to fix your car. No need for all the public drama. Just another excuse for folks to "take down" Tesla.

Something similar happened to me once. In a VW Passat. Timing belt broke (under warranty) and all valves were bent in an instant together with piston damage. It didn’t even occur to me to rely on VW to get the car off the interstate. I just called a tow truck.

I understand the aggravation but in cases like that my life experience tells me to be pragmatic and solve the problem with the options that are realistically available on the spot.

Way to go. Post all over social media. That'll get their attention. Ever hear of simply writing a letter to Tesla?

*sugar* happens. With ANY car. Yours warned you to pull over safely. When they said ty powering down the car, did you not realize powering down would ummmmm kill all power?

This is the world we live in, now. I felt bad for OP until I noticed that OP was basically upset that the car broke down (understanble), but then is attempting to run a social media smear campaign instead of escalating it "normally" and then if it still is not resolved to their satisfaction, maybe the smear campaign?

/shrug.. being stuck on the side of the road sucks, especially in a new car.... but tesla is NOT ALONE in this regard at all. Happened to my wife in a brand new X5 that ended up needing to be bought back from BMW for electrical issues.

I also did not attempt to run a smear campaign... shrug.

Is this a joke?

Imagine being pissed off that your brand new car broke down, could have easily been totaled, and then to top it all off Tesla won't even reimburse the cost to tow it.

What is with this mentality that you just need to suck it up and stop accept the issues with the car/company?

Baffling.

Is this a joke?

Imagine being pissed off that your brand new car broke down, could have easily been totaled, and then to top it all off Tesla won't even reimburse the cost to tow it.

What is with this mentality that you just need to suck it up and stop accept the issues with the car/company?

Baffling.
I don't literally start crying when my car breaks down. I put my big boy pants on and deal with it.

I don't have to imagine it. It happened to my Jaguar.. heading home from the dealer. I bitched to Jag but didn't take up a online Jihad against them.

Stuff happens, especially when you power down your car on the freeway.. and I KNOW AS A FACT the VERY FIRST THING Tesla asks when you call their emergency number is "ARE YOU IN A SAFE LOCATION?" If the answer is no, you don't power off your car disabling the hazzard lights. At some point common sense needs to kick in. On a side note, If the $100.00 for the tow breaks you, perhaps you need a bicycle.

Must be a millennials thing to post this stuff on Twitter. If I had twitter when I owned my VW I would have been on there quarterly to post about my $2500 repair bill every 3 months or so.. this will not cost them a dime in the end as the freaking car is under warranty.

new paint can sized motor installed - check
new software update - check
new 12 volt battery - check
back on the road in 48 hours - check
Whining for attention - check

300 moving parts in the largest one fails inside the 6K miles - yawn, stretch, popcorn break, dude has never owned a German car or a high end electronic device... if they fail, they do it early.

BTW Alexander, I loved your paper on China and our deficit. Your are a smart dude, drop the drama, and you will go very far in life.

Must be a millennials thing to post this stuff on Twitter. If I had twitter when I owned my VW I would have been on there quarterly to post about my $2500 repair bill every 3 months or so.. this will not cost them a dime in the end as the freaking car is under warranty.

new paint can sized motor installed - check
new software update - check
new 12 volt battery - check
back on the road in 48 hours - check
Whining for attention - check

300 moving parts in the largest one fails inside the 6K miles - yawn, stretch, popcorn break, dude has never owned a German car or a high end electronic device... if they fail, they do it early.

BTW Alexander, I loved your paper on China and our deficit. Your are a smart dude, drop the drama, and you will go very far in life.

Right? Kids these days...

Let me get this straight, OP did a POWER DOWN while driving on the highway?

Or did they stop on the Highway (in an active lane) and then power down.

If the car was still movable, which I bet it was, OP should have pulled over when it was in a safe place to do so, even if it had limited power.

The title is deceiving. Your car came to a controlled, quiet stop on the road. The screeching OTOH....

It sounds like you live in one of the states where the first tow truck that arrives gets to overcharge the “customer.” You have your state laws to blame that on. Or, the police officer decided to inconvenience you to save the lives of other drivers on the road.

Yeah, breaking down in an unsafe spot, where there's no safe spot around is very stressful. Happened to me in my BMW on an interstate when it was pouring rain! Every time a car or semi went by, the car would shake due to all the turbulence. My fuel pump had failed. I was glad I was able to make it over to the right shoulder from the left lane. Took half an hour for a tow truck, to come. My 85-yr old disabled mom was in the passenger seat. She never complained, but I'm sure she was terrified. Thank goodness we had power and blinkers.

Of course, your Tesla was only a few months old, so it's more disconcerting, but we know that it happens. Hopefully not that often. Shame that Elon's comment that the car could still drive is only true if the front motor fails and not the rear one.

I hope the officer, put his car behind yours with his blinkers on, to protect you and your vehicle. If he did that, and you had to pay for the tow, I wouldn't feel as bad. At least he protected you and your wife. It's only money.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I can't say about the laws in the OP's location. But in Texas you have the right to use the tow company of your choice at all times. Neither the cops nor other tow truck drivers can demand or assign you to use their service.

If this happened in Texas I would have asked the cop to block traffic with his lights on for safety, and waited for Tesla's roadside tow service. It's not the money for the tow, I would have no problem with that. But I know Tesla's service can tow the car correctly without causing further damage.

For the OP, here's my advice:

1. Escalate with Tesla. Two issues: A) The phone support rep should never have instructed you to power down the car when the car was not in a safe location. B) Tesla obviously must fix the car under warranty for the failed drive system.

2. Find out the laws in your state about tow service. You may not have been required to have the police-summoned tow service tow the car.

3. Check with your insurance, the tow may be covered under your policy.

4. If the tow driver messed up the car (interior dirt, etc.) ask them to pay to have it cleaned.

Reactions: TMThree and NoMoGas
This actually is a little bit shocking and dangerous. The hazard lights are not supposed to go off when the car is off. In fact it appears to be a legal requirement.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=2ahUKEwjyka3MhazkAhUGs54KHWvNAGkQFjACegQIBBAC&url=https://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/TP-108-13.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3HAXxvOagVYXmjP9pZFEfM

If you disconnect the 12v battery it turns off all lights on every car ever made. When you POWER DOWN a Tesla, (not turn off) it TEMPORARILY has the effect of powering off the entire car... hence the term "power down" and associated WARNINGS you get when you do it.

If you disconnect the 12v battery it turns off all lights on every car ever made. When you POWER DOWN a Tesla, (not turn off) it TEMPORARILY has the effect of powering off the entire car... hence the term "power down" and associated WARNINGS you get when you do it.
I guess I'd have to see what the warnings say. There's a "power off" button that does not turn off the hazards (I tried it). There must be some other sequence that you're referring to. Anyway it really shouldn't let you do it if the hazard lights are on. Simple fix. I could easily see myself making the same mistake if told to do so by roadside assistance.