Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive Unit Failure- No warranty- Going to Catalog my experience with repair or replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, My 2013 P85 hit 60000 miles yesterday and today after driving for a 20 minutes I put it in reverse to park it and the Motor quit working, started jumping and jerking and would only move at idle. If I stepped on the gas it would clunk and jerk and not really move at all. I'm fairly certain it is the motor as it was making the notorious "milling" sound for the last 12k miles. My theory is that the bearings in the motor pitted out and one or both of them finally failed. The car has no warranty and TESLA won't touch it so I'm on my own. I want to catalog the experience so that when others go to work on their cars they have a place to go, kind of a How-To for motor repair. The only thing I've found so far is RichRebuilds video showing the same thing but I want to do a more detailed look at it.

-Does anyone know where I can get some tech data to pull the motor out, and what bearings I need to buy to replace what is there?
-If the Splines are stripped how do I go about getting them repaired or build a new shaft?

These are just ideas right now until I get the motor out and take a look.
I have access to a lift I just have to tow it there.

I emailed Ingineer and Richrebuilds waiting to hear back to get their perspective on it.

Your Help is needed, I'm blue collar and owe 30k on the car still This is my everyday driver/kidhaller/grocerygetter

Thanks guys/gals

Will, DO I will be documenting all my DIY repairs from now on as Ive already installed rear facing seats with safety bumper and DIY repaired a malfunctioning door handle. Not alot of info out there but what is there needs to be compiled into a repair area.

Why is it out of warranty? 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
8 yrs, that to me is 2020?
i am lost?
I have a 2013, my SC told me its good thru 2020.

Rebuilt Title. for fairly minor cosmetic damage, voided the warranty, despite having nothing to do with the drive train Tesla wont service or sell me parts. There would be a recall for this had all the failing units not been under warranty, unfortunatley there wasnt a recall and Tesla wont touch it even though it is a very common issue and they know it has nothing to do with the damage that was done. Its a design flaw in most/all motors that are older than 2015.

Do you think there's any chance Tesla would do some kind of repair/inspection combo deal? Sure would be nice if they'd discount it a little given, as you say, its a known issue and they should, from a moral or ethical standpoint, own it. Tesla brags very LOUDLY that they are a DIFFERENT car company. So ask them to prove it.

This is what I am thinking I need. Im not sure if there is a better revision that I should look into, does anyone have any info
the part number is 1025598-00-p This is a P85 car. SHould I check the manufacture date?

Goes for about 9500$ plus shipping.... ouch. and that is used

Do you think there's any chance Tesla would do some kind of repair/inspection combo deal? Sure would be nice if they'd discount it a little given, as you say, its a known issue and they should, from a moral or ethical standpoint, own it. Tesla brags very LOUDLY that they are a DIFFERENT car company. So ask them to prove it.

Thats not a bad idea, I will call them tomorrow and try to talk to their service manager and see if theres anything they will do. I spoke with them when it was making the milling sound and they wouldn't even give me the time of day. Just to get the SAFETY recall for the airbags took an act of congress, i.e. several phone calls and I had to be very stern that they were responsible for the airbags. It's worth a shot and would save me alot of headache.

Right now its being towed home Im hoping it will fall off and I can get the insurance money, haha.

Another idea (if it doesnt fall off the toe truck) is to buy a car at auction and sell the rest of the parts I dont need to help recoup the cost of the motor. Or maybe just sell this car as is and cut my losses, ugh from dream car to nightmare. just like that.

This is what I am thinking I need. Im not sure if there is a better revision that I should look into, does anyone have any info
the part number is 1025598-00-p This is a P85 car. SHould I check the manufacture date?

Goes for about 9500$ plus shipping.... ouch. and that is used

The -P is the latest version. Good luck finding one, however.

I'm in the same boat as you, and just got my hands on a -D motor with 32k miles on it, but the P motors are hard enough to come by that cannot be picky.

The -P is the latest version. Good luck finding one, however.

I'm in the same boat as you, and just got my hands on a -D motor with 32k miles on it, but the P motors are hard enough to come by that cannot be picky.
Can you swap a D motor into a non-D car? and have it function? I was thinking of just getting a regular NON P motor (need to find that part number) and drive as a regular S85 until part prices come down in a few years.

lots of options
1.Repair Motor or bearings or whatever it is I find broken
2. Find a "P" motor drive unit and swap it in
3. convert to a non "P" car to save money on the repair
4. Sell the car and try to recoup the loss on what I have in it.
5. Buy an auction car take the "P" motor and sell the rest for parts
6. An act of God that destroys the car to where the insurance pays out.

any more options I'm missing?
Right now 6 sounds the best. haha

But first I need to find out what bearings are used in the motor and where to get them.

Last edited:
D being a -D revision motor (not a from dual motor car motor). It's still a Performance motor. Sorry for the confusion.

And yes, in theory, you can swap in a non-Performance motor. With any swap you are likely going to need someone to reflash the firmware so that the revision on the motor matches the revision in your car.

Reactions: sledom
D being a -D revision motor (not a from dual motor car motor). It's still a Performance motor. Sorry for the confusion.

And yes, in theory, you can swap in a non-Performance motor. With any swap you are likely going to need someone to reflash the firmware so that the revision on the motor matches the revision in your car.

Nice! What does it cost to get the firmware re-flashed? Also how to tell that it is a Performance motor? what part number dictates a non-performance/performance model?

edit
Im guessing its the same part number just -P, sorry for the dumb question

You need to have your car rooted. There are a couple guys on this forum that can do that. Once rooted, they can "redeploy" or reflash the firmware to the new motor.

Regarding P/N's, you either need to know the donor car, or google the particular motor's P/N that you are considering purchasing. I don't have an all-inclusive list for this, unfortunately.

You need to have your car rooted. There are a couple guys on this forum that can do that. Once rooted, they can "redeploy" or reflash the firmware to the new motor.

Regarding P/N's, you either need to know the donor car, or google the particular motor's P/N that you are considering purchasing. I don't have an all-inclusive list for this, unfortunately.
Great I am rooted now and have SC access so I guess the hard part is out of the way, does it cost extra to have it flashed after the root or is it a "copy paste" type function that can be done quickly?
What did you pay for your "d" revision and where did you get it?

Still trying to find part numbers for the bearings not sure where to look.

I'm not sure you can buy the bearings, at least I've never seen them for sale before. Last time I was looking around there was a video that showed how tesla produced the motors, and I'm pretty sure that they were sold as a single item.

Talk to Henry at @AutobahnEV about parts. He's a great guy with very reasonable prices. If he doesn't have what you need, he will put you on the list for the next car he gets in.

You should coordinate with whomever you had root your car and tell them what is going on, and that you will likely need them to redeploy the firmware once the new motor is installed. I cannot imagine it is that expensive and it should be a "setup and go" operation, but I don't have that direct experience.

Reactions: AutobahnEV
Sooooo I found a 1025276-00-q guy says it’s from a p85+

Does anyone know if a p85 + motor is compatable With a standard p85 also I thought the “p” revision was the most recent but this is a “q” revision. Is this something I should go after?