Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive unit fluid replacement not part of annual service anymore?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes this is what I am thinking. The only reason you would need to pay for the service plan would be if you want the extended warranty since it is only valid if you do all the maintenances by Tesla...

Wow that leaves very little that actually requires a Tesla SC visit. The cost for a 4 year maintenance plan seems ridiculously high. Literally 2 “required” visits in 4 years. Everything else I can do or would have done when I buy new tires...and probably done as a courtesy.

When BMW went to “lifetime” transmission fluid it seemed like a thinly veiled cost cutting measure. The manufacturer (ZF) still specified 50,000 mile changes, but since BMW called it lifetime, they removed it from pre-paid and included service agreements (and didn’t reduce the price).

I am suspicious about changes like this ... saves money for Tesla now, and the effect likely won’t show until after the 8 year warranty is up.

Reactions: maximizese
The earlier DU's definitely needed it. Actually, it wasn't part of the 1st-yr service originally, but then they added it around 2015/16. It was never annual though; just part of the 1st-yr service. I guess I'm not surprised that they removed it again; assuming they've worked-out the issues which required them to add it in the first place.

Tesla updated their webpage and removed the line where it said drive unit fluid replacement. The local tesla sales rep says they don't need them anymore, it was useless and it took too much time. Do you know if that is really the case?

Tesla

The Q&A section still mentions drive unit fluid replacement but I'm not sure if it is just a mistake or not.

Wow that leaves very little that actually requires a Tesla SC visit. The cost for a 4 year maintenance plan seems ridiculously high. Literally 2 “required” visits in 4 years. Everything else I can do or would have done when I buy new tires...and probably done as a courtesy.

Still a good idea to do the Battery coolant replacement at the 4-year service :cool:

upload_2018-6-17_11-12-3.png
upload_2018-6-17_11-13-2.png

• Informative
Reactions: croman and Atlantan
Yeah, I was told the same. I'd rather keep wipers spare, need to change winter/summer tires anyway and change out the air filters as needed myself but they told me it was all or nothing. Can't pay them labor (by the hour) and cost either.

I asked. My service center insisted it was “all or nothing”. Technically what they said was that I could remove tasks if I wanted, but they were still going to charge the fixed price anyway. :eek:

So what else is there to do? We have a warranty issue every 2 months and it gets a multipoint inspection. I’m just going to have the service manager give me a waiver. They just replaced the tires under warranty for the foam coming apart.

It’s disturbing to hear, once again, the inconsistency in messaging from Service.

I just had service after a year or so of ownership. With over 25K miles, I elected to have the brake fluid flushed. That’s it. A la carte, if you will.

Was quoted $190 for the brake fluid flush and it ended up being less than that.

Replaced the wipers with Goodyears from Costco (first time trying those) to see how they last. So far they clean better than the OEM Bosch. I have a set of Bosch Ikons (which are not the OEM Bosch) in the frunk in case the Goodyears crap out early.

Next year, at 50K miles, I’ll have the battery coolant flushed and probably the brake fluid flushed again. Maybe it will be time for AC service and probably will be time for the HEPA filter replacement.

At this and every visit I confirm if any service bulletins need to be applied. For example, half shafts if you have vibration upon acceleration.

As an aside, I’ve now chosen to have all alignments and rotations/balancing handled by an independent shop.

No ever-loudening drive unit noise so far, no MCU failure, no rotor replacements (5x), no door handle sticking, and so far no 12V battery failure, unlike with the previous chariot.

There were a half-dozen or so problems identified at the factory pickup or soon thereafter, most of which have been addressed.

Any thoughts what i should do in my case concerning the drive unit fluid replacement...at delivery time my Model S came without the power lift gate. The DS offered me 2 years of service at that time, now I go in for service 1 year and they tell me no Drive unit fluid replacement, this is th only "real work" they are doing... i certainly feel ripped off in this case ... suggestions?
There is no way that this service is worth the power lift gate.......