Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive unit fluid replacement not part of annual service anymore?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i did not want the annual service but like an idiot I accepted the 2 years of service in lieu of the power liftgate thinking that they would actually do something real as part of the service .... then they remove many tasks that were listed a year ago ... it is irrelevant whether it is needed or not ... Tesla is yet again not honoring an agreement

again i ask ... has any one had a power lift gate installed in Tesla Service center?

The earlier DU's definitely needed it. Actually, it wasn't part of the 1st-yr service originally, but then they added it around 2015/16. It was never annual though; just part of the 1st-yr service. I guess I'm not surprised that they removed it again; assuming they've worked-out the issues which required them to add it in the first place.

I just took my 2014 in for service (46K km). Mainly for the brake fluid change and the A/C service. I just bought the car, but as the cabin filter was quite dirty I would wager that it had never had any service. I asked service and they couldn't see anything in the system; I don't know exactly what that means.

I asked about the differential service and they said they don't do it. Not at any time; regardless if it had been done on my 2014 after a year or not. I am not sure how long the service advisors had been employed by the company but they turned to the most "senior" advisor for advice on this and he stated the latest information was that it was to be changed at the 250000 km interval.

So the question is do I trust Tesla service's advice? It is not them who might own the car in 10 years...

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I just took my 2014 in for service (46K km). Mainly for the brake fluid change and the A/C service. I just bought the car, but as the cabin filter was quite dirty I would wager that it had never had any service. I asked service and they couldn't see anything in the system; I don't know exactly what that means.

I asked about the differential service and they said they don't do it. Not at any time; regardless if it had been done on my 2014 after a year or not. I am not sure how long the service advisors had been employed by the company but they turned to the most "senior" advisor for advice on this and he stated the latest information was that it was to be changed at the 250000 km interval.

So the question is do I trust Tesla service's advice? It is not them who might own the car in 10 years...

Remember they make money servicing your car. If they're telling you "we don't want your money" its probably not necessary.

Reactions: cwerdna
Just fyi - I dropped off my car at the Fremont Service Center for 1 yr. service today and one of the techs (who was being a bit of a douchebag) told me that the DU fluid replacement is no longer required and they won't do it. When I mentioned that that is the reason why I brought my car in for service, the service advisor, Brandi, (who has always been super awesome) mentioned that they will do it for me.

i did not want the annual service but like an idiot I accepted the 2 years of service in lieu of the power liftgate thinking that they would actually do something real as part of the service .... then they remove many tasks that were listed a year ago ... it is irrelevant whether it is needed or not ... Tesla is yet again not honoring an agreement

again i ask ... has any one had a power lift gate installed in Tesla Service center?

So far as I think anyone knows(and there are a lot of us interested in this), the answer is: no. On this topic, I also don’t have the power lift gate and happened to have a mobile service appointment tonight because the latch wasn’t working. I actually asked about a power lift gate retrofit and the tech said that it’s strange that they don’t offer it because itd be very easy to do.

In your case, since you were offered services that later evaporated in exchange for the lack of the power liftgate, it might be worth pressuring them.

Reactions: MIT_S60

Yea, they clearly don't know what they are talking about... It wasn't part of the service initially, then it was added, and now they have taken it off again.

There are many of us who had it serviced at the initial service visit, and it is definitely on my service history record. The assumption was; they added it because the original design was exhibiting premature wear on the grounding fingers for the stator.

So far as I think anyone knows(and there are a lot of us interested in this), the answer is: no. On this topic, I also don’t have the power lift gate and happened to have a mobile service appointment tonight because the latch wasn’t working. I actually asked about a power lift gate retrofit and the tech said that it’s strange that they don’t offer it because itd be very easy to do.

In your case, since you were offered services that later evaporated in exchange for the lack of the power liftgate, it might be worth pressuring them.
Body shop that repairs only Tesla told me power lift gate retrofit isn't possible due to different wiring and structural components. I asked because I was reareded and having the liftgate replaced.

• Informative
Reactions: MIT_S60
IMG_0655.PNG

Automatic transmission mechanics have told me that the wisdom is... Change the fluid regularly or don't change it ever. Both approaches seem to work and perhaps a Dexron based lube system in a Model S is the same. Debris that settles into the corners of a transmission case is best left there undisturbed which is why the 'never change it' wisdom works. Changing regularly is better as the debris can be drained before it accumulates.

I like a combination approach of changing the Dexron fluid after the first 2 years to remove initial wear in debris then leave it alone for the life of the transmission.

Tesla Service centres have the fluid and the tools so they should accept the business if the customer wants it done. They did in my case.

It really blows my mind how much they charge for their "maintenance" to do the items on this list.

The first item service does is hook up their "tools" software look at the log and check for faults. This is not on the list above, and it is the only part of service that can not be performed by the average mechanic. What I don't know is what they actually see there: Are there minor faults that are not serious enough to show up as a message in the car "contact Tesla service" that they discover and repair? What might they be?

At my 40K (km) service they found some additional issues that were repaired: While changing the brake fluid a seized bleeder valve broke off; they replaced the caliper. They also found a leaking axle seal and replaced it. If I had taken the car somewhere else to change the brake fluid I would have been paying labour for them to screw extract the bleeder valve.

I do all my own service on my Honda CRV; brake fluid change, ATF and differential drains, valve adjustment etc. but the Tesla is a different beast. I will bring in the Tesla for the second and fourth year service. Not for the maintenance items I can do myself but for the things Tesla will find and address saving me money in the future when it is not warrantied. I feel I got my $825 CAD worth at service. It burns me to give dealerships my hard-earned money for things I can do myself but somehow it hurts less giving it to Tesla.

In my sixteen year EV experience, which is worthless, I don't find a need to do "routine" service. There is nothing to service. This is not a gas engine car. If you have an obvious issue, take it in. Otherwise, don't.

I have had two Model S. My last had 82,000 miles on it when I sold it, and my current one has 70,000 miles on it. Neither were ever "serviced". I personally feel that people who grew up servicing gas cars just cannot let it go and simply have to do some kind of service no matter what. It's obvious Tesla feels the same way.

In my sixteen year EV experience, which is worthless, I don't find a need to do "routine" service. There is nothing to service. This is not a gas engine car. If you have an obvious issue, take it in. Otherwise, don't.

I have had two Model S. My last had 82,000 miles on it when I sold it, and my current one has 70,000 miles on it. Neither were ever "serviced". I personally feel that people who grew up servicing gas cars just cannot let it go and simply have to do some kind of service no matter what. It's obvious Tesla feels the same way.

Agreed. 100%.

Plus I’ve had a couple friends who went in for that first annual service and then complained about the price and low # of things performed — both had the service comped!!

Tesla also uses the service plan as a compensation gift for people who’ve experienced problems, to make them feel like they’re getting something valuable from the company. When we had a small AP2-related crash (in very early days of AP2), they fixed the car but also gave us free maintenance plan. Really costs them close to nothing.

If you’re nice, and especially if you write glowing 5 star reviews about their service (and mention them by name), they’ll often go out of their way to give you various services free under “goodwill.” Taking in donuts doesn’t hurt either ;)