Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive unit infrastructure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone that has a good understanding of electrical engineering.

THE STRONGEST MAGNET IN THE WORLD - YouTube
5:36

Why is this technic not used as it would make the motor smaller and could have much more tight windings. My thought is not to have someone assembly this by hand, rather print the sheets with the copper in and stacking them by machine. You would have a motor with more exact field strength as windings don't vary in distance.

Tesla method
High Efficiency Electric Drive Unit on Vimeo
The efficiency of the motor might just be too good already that little better wouldn't change specs a whole lot. Might be better to have lighter wheels to reduce spinning mass.

Im I just away on a thinking spree?

Last edited:
I'm thinking that perhaps the labor involved would be prohibitive. I don't know many people as patient as that poor coil builder. Cool video though. I used to drop neodymium magnets through copper pipe to watch my nephews' jaws drop and ask HOW HOW!

Not sure exactly what you're asking, but the Tesla motor is already ridiculously tiny. Its a 400hp motor the size of a milk jug. Its also probably already extremely efficient. Any dollars spent decreasing the motors weight or increasing its efficiency would be far better spent in another area.

Also keep in mind that most of the limiting factors on power come from either the battery or the inverter, not the motor itself.