TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Drive unit infrastructure

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Fanatic, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Fanatic

Fanatic Member

#1 Fanatic, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    Hello everyone that has a good understanding of electrical engineering.

THE STRONGEST MAGNET IN THE WORLD - YouTube
    5:36

Why is this technic not used as it would make the motor smaller and could have much more tight windings. My thought is not to have someone assembly this by hand, rather print the sheets with the copper in and stacking them by machine. You would have a motor with more exact field strength as windings don't vary in distance.

Tesla method
    High Efficiency Electric Drive Unit on Vimeo
    The efficiency of the motor might just be too good already that little better wouldn't change specs a whole lot. Might be better to have lighter wheels to reduce spinning mass.

Im I just away on a thinking spree?

2. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

Is your question why doesn't Tesla use flat copper plate coils (like the magnet video) and instead uses windings of copper wire?

3. JimmyAZ

JimmyAZ Member

I'm thinking that perhaps the labor involved would be prohibitive. I don't know many people as patient as that poor coil builder. Cool video though. I used to drop neodymium magnets through copper pipe to watch my nephews' jaws drop and ask HOW HOW!

4. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

Not sure exactly what you're asking, but the Tesla motor is already ridiculously tiny. Its a 400hp motor the size of a milk jug. Its also probably already extremely efficient. Any dollars spent decreasing the motors weight or increasing its efficiency would be far better spent in another area.

Also keep in mind that most of the limiting factors on power come from either the battery or the inverter, not the motor itself.

5. Fanatic

Fanatic Member

#5 Fanatic, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    yes this is my question. But surely you could automate the process. Like you stated probably its more effective to improve other areas.