TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Drive unit/inverter replacement which battery??

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Alysashley79, Apr 27, 2014.

?

Which model S do you have?

1. P85

15 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. 85 or 60

12 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

For those of you that have had to have your drive unit replaced one or more times which drive unit do you have? The performance unit or the regular unit? I'm curious if it's a mix of units or more performance units that are having issues.

2. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

I voted as having an 85, although I'll note the following that might be more germane:

1) The batteries (and motors) on the standard and perfomance 85's are purported to be the same. It's the inverters that are part of the drive unit that are the difference.

2) There are actually different flavors of 85kWh battery packs: "A" units which were an earlier design (and can typically Supercharge at only 90kWh or less), and "B" or later units. Not all of the differences between the two are known, although cell chemistry is thought to be different. It's also possible that the contactor that has been a failure point for the "Dreaded Clunk Syndrome" may also be different (and perhaps cooling changes.

The pack versions can be determined by the sticker on them... there's a long thread about it here on the forum.

3. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

P85 here, I'm on my 2nd drive unit. Both were replaced due to droning noise above 65 MPH. No clunking noise or other failures.

4. glhs272

glhs272 Unnamed plug faced villian

Oops, voted on this poll. I misread it. I have not replaced my drive unit.

5. rdrcrmatt

rdrcrmatt Member

Mine was due to a bushing going bad which caused a shifting / clunk and a hum at low throttle application. at 21k miles.

6. huntjo

huntjo Member

I also mistakenly voted in this poll. I do have a P 85, but have not replaced the drive unit

7. ddenboer

ddenboer MODEL X #1770

Mine was replaced last week at 35k miles.
    It made a sound above 20mph that sounded like a hockey/baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle.
    People at the golf course gave me nasty looks every time I drove by.
    Tesla service as usual in the last year was great!

8. Edward D

Edward D Member

I'm on my third drive unit. First two replaced because of humming about 65 mph. First replaced at 8k miles, the second one at 18k. I have an S85 (not performance).