TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Drive Unit momentarily lost power

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Mokuzai, Aug 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mokuzai

Mokuzai Member

I took an opportunity for some spirited acceleration and almost immediately after I floored it, it felt like all power got cut to the drive unit. There weren't any errors or messages and as soon as I let off the pedal a bit power returned and was able to accelerate again.

Has anybody ever experienced something like this?

2017 MS 75 RWD took delivery in June

2. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Traction control can cause this but there should be a warning indicator.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. cab

cab Member

Sounds like typical traction control intervention behavior...especially on a RWD car. II can do it at will in my P85+ if I floor it from a stop (which I haven't really done since I first got it)...from a roll, its got the best traction of any of my previous higher horsepower RWD cars.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. Red_DS

Red_DS Member

Search this forum for “Obstacle detected. Power reduced” (or something similar) thread. That could be what happened here.

I’m on mobile so I can look for and post it later if you don’t find it.

5. Mokuzai

Mokuzai Member

I believe it is as @apacheguy and @cab said that it is the traction control. I didn't see any error alerts at the center bottom of the dash but may not have noticed a small icon in the upper right in the moment when trying to figure out what happened.

Thanks all!