Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive unit, new or refurbishishid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't have a choice in the matter really, you get what they put in. If the drive unit is being replaced for a clunk, prepare for it to come back because to a degree, its normal.

You do have a choice. The warranty allows them to use refurbished parts and Tesla is going to do so unless they can't for some reason. However, you're free to pay for a new part. I can't imagine you'll like the cost.

Reactions: Akikiki
A minor clunk IS normal, a small clunk is present when going from accel to regen, and regen to accel in the 10-15mph range. This is considered an "expected noise". The clunk is created by backlash in the differential. If it gets worse over time, then it should be addressed. Roadster's have the same exact noise, and it is 100% normal operation.

If the drive unit is being replaced for a clunk, prepare for it to come back because to a degree, its normal.

Disagree. A "clunk" is not normal for a Model S in any degree.

Almost one year of Model S ownership here, no "clunks" (and I've driven four other Model S's which did not have any "clunks"), only significant problem has been a failed HPWC cable which was replaced same day, drivers screen display replaced proactively, I had no problem with it.

And yes, my Roadster has a "clunk in the drivetrain.

Disagree. A "clunk" is not normal for a Model S in any degree.

Almost one year of Model S ownership here, no "clunks" (and I've driven four other Model S's which did not have any "clunks"), only significant problem has been a failed HPWC cable which was replaced same day, drivers screen display replaced proactively, I had no problem with it.

And yes, my Roadster has a "clunk in the drivetrain.

So the clunk in your Roadster drivetrain happens for the same reason the clunk in the Model S drivetrain happens. Yet one is normal and one is not?

Different drivetrains, obviously. The Model S is a far more sophisticated and refined vehicle than the Roadster. You seem to be implying that the Roadster and the S share the same drivetrain. They do not.

For example, the Roadster makes a lot more noise going over a seam in a concrete freeway than a Model S. The Roadster brakes are not nearly as smooth as the S brakes. The Roadster battery and PEM cooling system is much noisier than the S cooling system.

They are very different cars.

* Note: I prefer to drive my Roadster over the S except for long trips

Different drivetrains, obviously. The Model S is a far more sophisticated and refined vehicle than the Roadster. You seem to be implying that the Roadster and the S share the same drivetrain. They do not.

For example, the Roadster makes a lot more noise going over a seam in a concrete freeway than a Model S. The Roadster brakes are not nearly as smooth as the S brakes. The Roadster battery and PEM cooling system is much noisier than the S cooling system.

They are very different cars.

* Note: I prefer to drive my Roadster over the S except for long trips 

I will agree entirely that they are different cars, however, they use the same BorgWarner transmission.

Borg has their own spec for backlash, so its normal to expect some clunk in it, like I have said before, if it gets worse? Address if. I have seen brand new vehicles with a minor clunk, and its considered normal.

I will agree entirely that they are different cars, however, they use the same BorgWarner transmission.

Borg has their own spec for backlash, so its normal to expect some clunk in it, like I have said before, if it gets worse? Address if. I have seen brand new vehicles with a minor clunk, and its considered normal.

The S does not use the same BW transmission as the Roadster. I believe that the transmission in the S is designed and built by Tesla.

GSP

So, any new or all they all refurbished?

I'm on my fourth drive train and they have all been refurbished. Before the last swap, I did hint that perhaps a new one might be in order since the 3rd one had a problem from the moment I got the car back that just got worse but I didn't press the issue and let them make the call as to what would be best. In the end they put in another refurb which has been good so far.

So, any new or all they all refurbished?

@Lump-

I notice from your profile info, you're in the sf valley. So I'm assuming your bad service experiences have been from the Van Nuys service center? I have a tesla on order and will also be using the van nuys service center for any issues that come up. Care to elaborate on the service setbacks you've unfortunately experienced?