Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive unit, new or refurbishishid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Lump-

I notice from your profile info, you're in the sf valley. So I'm assuming your bad service experiences have been from the Van Nuys service center? I have a tesla on order and will also be using the van nuys service center for any issues that come up. Care to elaborate on the service setbacks you've unfortunately experienced?

I'd like to chime in here:
I'm in the SFV as well. Van Nuys SC has been nothing less than exceptional with me. I recently had my Drive Unit replaced (with a refurb) because of a very minor low speed whirling sound. A low volume recording of the sound: Dropbox - Tesla Sounds.m4a
I REALLY didn't want my car taken apart from factory assembly, especially to have a refurbished drive unit with an unknown history, but now having that car back and it's relatively silent, I'm really glad I decided to go for it.
Since they decided they were going to replace my Drive unit, I figured i'd give them my "wish list" of small problems. They addressed each and every one of them (pass door was harder to open than the rest, HVAC fan squeak, seatbelt rattle, fitment issue with nosecone)
All issues were resolved.
They had the car for 36hrs, they dropped off a maxed out P85 to my place while they took my car for repair. I did not miss a beat as far as my schedule etc.

I'd like to chime in here:
I'm in the SFV as well. Van Nuys SC has been nothing less than exceptional with me. I recently had my Drive Unit replaced (with a refurb) because of a very minor low speed whirling sound. A low volume recording of the sound: Dropbox - Tesla Sounds.m4a
I REALLY didn't want my car taken apart from factory assembly, especially to have a refurbished drive unit with an unknown history, but now having that car back and it's relatively silent, I'm really glad I decided to go for it.
Since they decided they were going to replace my Drive unit, I figured i'd give them my "wish list" of small problems. They addressed each and every one of them (pass door was harder to open than the rest, HVAC fan squeak, seatbelt rattle, fitment issue with nosecone)
All issues were resolved.
They had the car for 36hrs, they dropped off a maxed out P85 to my place while they took my car for repair. I did not miss a beat as far as my schedule etc.

glad to hear you had a positive experience at the van nuys sc. Being a person who lives in the valley and has an order in for a late December delivery, it is comforting to know that my local service center has at least one happy camper!! :)

I just had a complete drive unit failure (P85 Sig, VIN 00061, 30k miles) and got it replaced at the Van Nuys SC. Diagnosis: "Vehicle was towed into service center. Vehicle will go into gear but makes loud grinding noise when attempting to drive. Vehicle will not move. Reviewed vehicle logs and verified internal failure to drive unit."

I was assured by my service tech that they replaced it with the upgraded design drive unit that's being used now at the factory. The paperwork states "All parts are new unless otherwise specified", and I don't see 'refurbished' stated anywhere, so I'm assuming the parts are new. Here are the parts they installed:

ASY, P-TRAIN, SPORT, MECH, COMPLETE (1002633-01-P)

SIDE MOTOR MOUNT ASSEMBLY (1028034 1-00-B)

The car seems fine now, hoping this new unit lasts a lot longer than the original one!!

I can confirm that when mine was replaced Nov of 2014 it was "reman" rev k and it's quiet, wh/mi are better then the original unit and I couldn't be happier. Up to 28k miles now. Original unit had 13877mi

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
ASY,P-
TRAIN ,REMAN,MDLS,BASE,SHIM.CSM (1025276-00-K)
ASY,HV COVER,INVERTER (1003783-00-B) Corrections: Upgrade the Side Motor Mount

Interesting mine was on 2/28 and I got a -K. Couple iterations behind the current gen at the time by the looks of it. Given the labor that's required I'm surprised they don't install the latest version available. Oh well, at least mine has stayed quiet so I can't complain.

Interesting mine was on 2/28 and I got a -K. Couple iterations behind the current gen at the time by the looks of it. Given the labor that's required I'm surprised they don't install the latest version available. Oh well, at least mine has stayed quiet so I can't complain.

Mine was brand new from the factory, maybe yours was remanufactured? That might explain the older revision number.

@Lump-

I notice from your profile info, you're in the sf valley. So I'm assuming your bad service experiences have been from the Van Nuys service center? I have a tesla on order and will also be using the van nuys service center for any issues that come up. Care to elaborate on the service setbacks you've unfortunately experienced?
When asked this last November I didn't type a reply because the number of issues were too long & I was trying to resolve them thru the proper channels, 8 months have passed & my situation has not improved. Next week marks 2 years since taking delivery & its been increadably frustrating.

When asked this last November I didn't type a reply because the number of issues were too long & I was trying to resolve them thru the proper channels, 8 months have passed & my situation has not improved. Next week marks 2 years since taking delivery & its been increadably frustrating.

Have you escalated your issues up the chain, to the regional and possibly VP level? I'm shocked that your service center hasn't addressed your issues in 8 months? That's ridiculous!

They tried a remanufactured "M" on mine but that still made noises so they replaced again with a brand new "N". They also updated to .251 noting that that version was needed to get the car to drive...?

abc0756931f4d974835da40a89c9fbd9.jpg

74a36b4bc5bb49cd742df9e4a5600a61.jpg

Have you escalated your issues up the chain, to the regional and possibly VP level? I'm shocked that your service center hasn't addressed your issues in 8 months? That's ridiculous!
A year ago I sat down with my Service manager & politly explained everything, 3 months after that I spoke with regional, I was assured "things would be better" so I never wrote to Jerome who is now on a long "vacation" prior to a major product launch, who is the VP while he is away?

My service center has a new manager & just so happen my car goes in tomorrow AGAIN so maybe I will speak with him.

All -

Just went in for my third annual service with just shy of 71,000 miles on the car. My 3rd drive unit had developed a clunk and whine on acceleration. Just got the car back yesterday and they replaced the drive unit and side motor mount.

The drive unit was: ASY,P-TRAIN,RMN,MDLS,BASE,CMC,HS (1025276-00-P) -- From the "RMN" looks like it was remanufacured.

Hum and clunk are gone. The previous drivetrain (#3) was installed after I returned from the @TeslaRoadTrip cross country trip to TMC Connect last summer and my mileage was at about 45,000 - so this one lasted about 25,000 miles.

Aaron

I'll be getting a reman in a few weeks. They said it will have the latest parts to resolve all known problems. 20k miles for milling noise.

Maybe Sig owners get new because they are Sig? As long as it lasts I don't care. Got 7 more years to get it right. :)

-m

All -

Just went in for my third annual service with just shy of 71,000 miles on the car. My 3rd drive unit had developed a clunk and whine on acceleration. Just got the car back yesterday and they replaced the drive unit and side motor mount.

The drive unit was: ASY,P-TRAIN,RMN,MDLS,BASE,CMC,HS (1025276-00-P) -- From the "RMN" looks like it was remanufacured.

Hum and clunk are gone. The previous drivetrain (#3) was installed after I returned from the @TeslaRoadTrip cross country trip to TMC Connect last summer and my mileage was at about 45,000 - so this one lasted about 25,000 miles.

Aaron

I am curious about the Rev number of the drive unit that failed too. In my case all previous drive units were Rev "A" and my latest replacement is a Rev "M".

It's really worrying that both new cars and ones with supposedly "fixed" new units seem to keep dying with relatively low miles. Especially worrying is that DU's in the 70D are going out too, and this is a totally new design front and rear. What's going to happen after the warranty if they don't get this right?