Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

drive unit oil leak not covered by the limited warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Warning it looks like only complete failure or battery or drive unit is now covered by the limited warranty.

In changing to my winter wheels I notice that the oil pump on the drive unit is "damp" in the otherwise dusty area, which it likely an oil leak.
My Model 3 still has the limited warranty for the battery and drive unit, but too much mileage for the new car warranty.
I have booked service but the Kitchener Service Center says replacing the coolant oil pump on the drive unit is not covered by the drive unit warranty.

Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 11.32.33 AM.png

IMG_4395.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
Ok. The filter is 1618882-00-A and is only $5. eBay and everywhere online is $30.
I have the same leak. I will change the oil + filter and clean up first.
Hopefully no need to change the oil pump or the CV axle seal, or take down the drive unit to reseal seam.
If it is oil pump leaking, is there any rubber o-rings that could cause the leak or we have to change out the whole pump?

IMG_20230617_142927_700 (1).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230617_142927_700 (1).jpg
    IMG_20230617_142927_700 (1).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 79
Reactions: K3vin11
Warning it looks like only complete failure or battery or drive unit is now covered by the limited warranty.

In changing to my winter wheels I notice that the oil pump on the drive unit is "damp" in the otherwise dusty area, which it likely an oil leak.
My Model 3 still has the limited warranty for the battery and drive unit, but too much mileage for the new car warranty.
I have booked service but the Kitchener Service Center says replacing the coolant oil pump on the drive unit is not covered by the drive unit warranty.

View attachment 865357

View attachment 865356
Any updates, did the service center repair the oil leak? I just discover that my front motor has a slight leak as well and I’m about to run out of the motor/battery warranty

Ok. The filter is 1618882-00-A and is only $5. eBay and everywhere online is $30.
I have the same leak. I will change the oil + filter and clean up first.
Hopefully no need to change the oil pump or the CV axle seal, or take down the drive unit to reseal seam.
If it is oil pump leaking, is there any rubber o-rings that could cause the leak or we have to change out the whole pump?

View attachment 948205
Did changing the oil and filter fix the issue?

Any updates, did the service center repair the oil leak? I just discover that my front motor has a slight leak as well and I’m about to run out of the motor/battery warranty
Yes they repaired the problem, but I had to pay for the work it was just $280.81 CDN ($231.25 USD)

They replaced the oil, filter and pump assembly. I think it is all fixed.

Reactions: brkaus
As a related data point:
My wife's 2023 MYLR (Austin build/May delivery - roughly 5k on the odo) began showing a small damp spot on the garage floor under the area of the rear drive unit a few weeks ago. It started showing a very small puddle (a teaspoon?) a week or so later, so she booked an appointment via the app. It turned out to be a "leaking oil pump". No further data was offered and pickup was "contactless". 100% covered under warranty.

Reactions: Mercimek