Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive unit or battery problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Being a Q revision, it should have the upgraded hybrid-ceramic bearings (less likely to have noise issues), but will also have the inferior single lip rotor coolant seal (more likely to develop internal coolant leak). I would definitely check your speed sensor/encoder... The "Drive_Iso_Warning" message is indicating an isolation problem (likely in the Drive Unit), which can start to pop up when coolant starts to get in there. If that is indeed the case, the codes will come back as more coolant continues to leak, and it will only get worse as more time goes by... If the coolant gets to the inverter portion of the drive unit, there is a very high likelihood that the inverter will be destroyed, so it is important to know if there's a problem before that happens (especially if you want to try and have the drive unit rebuilt).
It's possible the isolation warning could be another component, including the battery heater. Just because it's working doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with it... There are ways to check the isolation of each HV component individually, but it is quite involved, and I would recommend having knowledge of working on HV components before embarking on such an endeavor. For "extensive" testing, some components (including the rear drive unit/subframe assy.) may need to be removed from the car.
What's an "isolation" error/problem? A sensor senses an issue and isolates the associated component? Is that right?

What's an "isolation" error/problem? A sensor senses an issue and isolates the associated component? Is that right?
It's problem with HV isolation from the chassis. Basically it means that somewhere in the system, one side of the HV circuit is starting to have less resistance to ground, and is no longer meeting spec. The tolerances are different for different components, but most of them the spec is ~1-2Mohms between either +/- to chassis ground.

• Helpful
Reactions: Droschke
Update 2: Car completely died yesterday after I drove it around the block after putting on summer tires. After a few minutes the 12V voltage got so low the car shut off. Was able to jump start and get it in tow mode. Waiting for tow truck.
New error messages: DI_u014 - GTW_w018 - BMS_f027 and about a million more in factory mode.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
You can add me to the list.. Purchased a 19 MSLR and after a couple days I was driving home and got the acceleration reduced message and lost regen braking. Parked at home and when I went to get back in, car wont start and says service required. Service scheduled for Friday

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
You can add me to the list.. Purchased a 19 MSLR and after a couple days I was driving home and got the acceleration reduced message and lost regen braking. Parked at home and when I went to get back in, car wont start and says service required. Service scheduled for Friday

Got a message in the Tesla app from the diagnostics team saying they think it is the HV battery that needs to be replaced.. SC called me yesterday to let me know vehicle was there and they needed to confirm what the diagnostics team thought was wrong...havent't heard anything new from them yet. Car only has about 29k miles and seemed fine.

Got a message in the Tesla app from the diagnostics team saying they think it is the HV battery that needs to be replaced.. SC called me yesterday to let me know vehicle was there and they needed to confirm what the diagnostics team thought was wrong...havent't heard anything new from them yet. Car only has about 29k miles and seemed fine.

After waiting in the dark all day someone called to let me know they are "still working on it". He had no new info, no idea as to what is wrong with the car and told me, "your case has been sent to the engineers who are the people that build the cars." No loaners available, no uber/lyft credits and NO expectation of how long it will take. Told me it could be anywhere from, "24 hours to weeks"

Anyone had their case sent to the engineers? Am I wrong to think this is just smoke being blown up my....?

Man I find this amazing and somewhat hard to believe. 29k miles on a 2019 and hv battery failure? Not good

I find it hard to believe as well. Although, the SC hasn’t given me any information or ideas as to what they think is wrong with it. They just sent me a message that says, “still no word from the higher ups” what in the actual fu*k is going on over there. You’ve had the car 4 days and haven’t told me anything other than it’s escalated to the engineers. I was prepared for crappy service after everything I read but WOW!

I find it hard to believe as well. Although, the SC hasn’t given me any information or ideas as to what they think is wrong with it. They just sent me a message that says, “still no word from the higher ups” what in the actual fu*k is going on over there. You’ve had the car 4 days and haven’t told me anything other than it’s escalated to the engineers. I was prepared for crappy service after everything I read but WOW!
I’ve heard that too, send a screenshot of the estimated wait time. Because they told me that and i drove in and it was done in less than 24 hours.