Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive unit out of warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all i have a 2013 model s p85. It recently started making the milling noise but its not that bad. I called the service center because i thought i had warranty because my car is only 72k miles. They said my warranty ran out. What do i do now? I do not want to pay out of pocket for this issue

Hey all i have a 2013 model s p85. It recently started making the milling noise but its not that bad. I called the service center because i thought i had warranty because my car is only 72k miles. They said my warranty ran out. What do i do now? I do not want to pay out of pocket for this issue
If your warranty ran out you have to pay out of pocket for a new drive unit. No way around it.

The only question is, do you want to get it from Tesla directly.

Reactions: rickyjb
I’d use Tesla so you can get a warranty on that part. I’ve read elsewhere these units are $2.5-3K.
Yeah but tesla only warranties stuff for 1 year, that is a direct quote from their service agreement, its in the fine print at the bottom, any part bought over the counter or installed by tesla maintains a 12 month warranty.

You'd save a lot of money buying one from 057 or autobahn parts and DIY the install.

Yeah but tesla only warranties stuff for 1 year, that is a direct quote from their service agreement, its in the fine print at the bottom, any part bought over the counter or installed by tesla maintains a 12 month warranty.
Except for batteries, drive units, and MCUs, which have their own parts warranty terms.

Customer pay drive units and HV batteries have 4 year / 50k warranties.

Honestly, with the milling sound out of warranty.... my suggestion is to turn the radio up and ignore it.

You can likely drive for 50k+ more miles before it's an actual problem requiring replacement.

To note, this is not something you want to DIY unless you're familiar with Tesla's firmware, drive unit pairing, traction control calibration, etc. These are NOT plug and play. You also don't want to replace it with a crappy secondhand unit that'll just do the same thing again eventually, since Tesla eventually corrected this issue with the large drive units. While there's a few others out there who could likely make a replacement unit "work", there's really a lot of steps that aren't obvious that are needed to do it right. So, you'll really only want to have this done at Tesla, or with us at 057. We've done dozens of drive unit replacements over the past couple of years.

Last I saw, Tesla's pricing for out-of-warranty performance drive unit replacement (parts+labor) was around $8500.

If/when you do want to get it replaced, since you're in Charlotte only an hour away from us, drop us a line over at 057tech.com/contact (include your VIN) and we'll look into options for you.

Honestly, with the milling sound out of warranty.... my suggestion is to turn the radio up and ignore it.

You can likely drive for 50k+ more miles before it's an actual problem requiring replacement.

To note, this is not something you want to DIY unless you're familiar with Tesla's firmware, drive unit pairing, traction control calibration, etc. These are NOT plug and play. You also don't want to replace it with a crappy secondhand unit that'll just do the same thing again eventually, since Tesla eventually corrected this issue with the large drive units. While there's a few others out there who could likely make a replacement unit "work", there's really a lot of steps that aren't obvious that are needed to do it right. So, you'll really only want to have this done at Tesla, or with us at 057. We've done dozens of drive unit replacements over the past couple of years.

Last I saw, Tesla's pricing for out-of-warranty performance drive unit replacement (parts+labor) was around $8500.

If/when you do want to get it replaced, since you're in Charlotte only an hour away from us, drop us a line over at 057tech.com/contact (include your VIN) and we'll look into options for you.
Thanks yeah imma just drive it until it NEEDS to be replaced, and yeah my volume is always on 7-8 anyways. It also Helps me not hear my car squeak when i break at low speeds. But thats another issue and thats cuz of 21 inch rims.

Just curious on how bad is your DU since you posted this thread? And what mileage do yo have on your P85? I actually have over 100K mile on my P85 2013 and it is still the original DU. I'm not hearing anything special but I know I may get an issue in a near future. I heard that 2 bearings on that DU can be replaced (by a Tesla specialized shop) and would cost around $1000 (Canadian currency) so it is not bad at all! The main issue is those bearings that going bad over time and make that milling noise.

Just curious on how bad is your DU since you posted this thread? And what mileage do yo have on your P85? I actually have over 100K mile on my P85 2013 and it is still the original DU. I'm not hearing anything special but I know I may get an issue in a near future. I heard that 2 bearings on that DU can be replaced (by a Tesla specialized shop) and would cost around $1000 (Canadian currency) so it is not bad at all! The main issue is those bearings that going bad over time and make that milling noise.
Im at 75k currenty, the noise isnt that bad, just gunna wait till it gets unbearable or the car wont drive

Reactions: rickyjb

What about the coolant leak issue in the LDUs? Where coolant pushes past the seal and causes damage to the electronics, windings, and/or bearings.

That seems to be getting a lot of attention in other threads, because it appears that ALL LDU's made between 2012 and 2020 are impacted, they will ALL leak, and there is no permanent fix....some lasting only 30k between replacements. Any advice on that front?