Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive unit problems explanation by Elon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I highly doubt we'll have full autonomy by 2020, I'm curious as to what the basis is for your quoted statement?

The point I was trying to make is that it's going to be a long time.

- - - Updated - - -

When I was a kid in the early '60s, I was promised that flying cars would be ubiquitous and we'd have jetpacks for local trips :biggrin:

Yep, still waiting for that. Is that also coming by 2020? lol

- - - Updated - - -

I believe it was meant as a 'when pigs fly' type of statement. AmpedRealtor doesn't believe the world will ever see what he defines as 'true autonomy', let alone by 2020, and that there's a greater chance of Tesla being out of business or bought by another company than the former happening. Oh, and he also thinks anyone who feels differently on the topic is most surely smoking an unusual brand of crack. Of course, I may have that entirely wrong.

That is an excellent summary! lol

Given the almost infinite variables that are encountered in everyday driving situations, the potential legal liabilities on the part of those developing the technology, intuitively it does not feel possible that the technology for full autonomy - meaning no direct driver involvement from departure to destination - is coming anytime soon. If you discount my POV, please read this article:

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/magazine/1508-the-hurdles-facing-autonomous-vehicles/

From the buildup video it looks like the deep-groove radial ball bearings in the gearbox are insufficient to carry the axial thrust loads induced by the helical-cut gear sets, especially when the torque load reverses. Some sort of bi-directional thrust bearing is needed to carry these axial loads.

What "Buildup Video" are you referring to? I'd love to have a look.

Thanks Kennybobby! I've seen that one, pretty good. They didn't even show us that in the factory tour.

I was admittedly a little underwhelmed with the factory tour. It was cool, and the robots are awesome, but didn't get to see the motor or battery assembly stuff which were parts I would have been most interested in. I thought for sure a peek at the test track might have been a part of it, too, but it wasn't.

I was admittedly a little underwhelmed with the factory tour. It was cool, and the robots are awesome, but didn't get to see the motor or battery assembly stuff which were parts I would have been most interested in. I thought for sure a peek at the test track might have been a part of it, too, but it wasn't.

Yeah, I specifically asked about electronics/drivetrain/battery and was told those areas are top-secret and off-limits except to Tesla personnel.

A shim would be used between two non-moving surfaces. In the case of a differential shim, it would be placed between the outer bearing race and the surface the bearing mounts to.
Yes! I just opened the Tesla Large Drive Unit from my 2012 Toyota RAV4 EV and I think this is the shim you (and Elon?) were talking about:

shim.png

For those who are interested, I started a Youtube channel for DIY repair of this drive unit:

https://youtube.com/channel/UCIHg1trfQQTYIA88w-ZcCdw