TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Drive Unit Replacement Frequency?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by TR5642, Sep 21, 2017.

Tags:
?

Have you had your drive unit replaced?

1. Yes, under warranty

52.2%
  2. No, not needed

47.8%
  3. Yes, paid for it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TR5642

TR5642 Member

I have read about many folks getting the drive unit replaced and now it has happened to me. It makes me wonder how common of a failure this really is? It is sounding really common which has me concerned for total lifetime situation. (Yes I know it's under a long warranty)

Survey below for raw numbers. It would be interesting to provide details if you have had it replaced:

Model: S
    Approx Miles/kms: 37,000 mi
    Trigger for replacement: Whine like gear noise on acceleration.

2. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

When was your car built? Anecdotally, used to happen often but my impression is those issues have since been resolved. I've got 65,000 miles on my drivetrain not needing service.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

There was this flawed poll: Drive Unit Replacement Poll.

These are 2 of the most extreme I know of:
    Drive Unit Replacement Poll
    Drive Unit Replacement Poll

There was 1 person in Europe (can't find the post) who was close to this.

From Model S Not Ready For Commercial Use Prime Time. Can I afford to own this car?, and Model S Not Ready For Commercial Use Prime Time. Can I afford to own this car?, this company is on DU #5.

Per Two Thirds of Early Model S Drivetrains May Fail By 60,000miles, early on, DU replacements were very common, mostly for noise and a small subset of those for total failure..

The replacement for noise seems to have died down with the revision -Q units but I still sometimes see reports of DUs completely failing.

4. TR5642

TR5642 Member

Good point. Mine was built at the end of 2014

5. TR5642

TR5642 Member

Built late 2014

6. TR5642

TR5642 Member

Any idea when the Rev Q units went into production? It appears my replacement is a rev Q but is also a refurb. I wonder if Q's have already cycled or if they are refurbed up to Q status?

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

8. kort677

kort677 Active Member

#8 kort677, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    fwiw: my '14 model S85 I had 1 unit replaced and I traded the car in with about 18k miles on it.
    my current late '15 models 90d with about 24k miles I haven't had any issues to date with much of anything.
    IMHO the late '15 to earlier '16 model s seem to be a sweet spot for the car, models built, '15s through the first part of '16 seem to have little problems. many newer issues cropped up when the AP2 cars started to come online. YMMV

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1