Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive unit replacement - getting better?

My drive unit was replaced and my car was produced:

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • 1Q 2013

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • 2Q 2013

Votes: 17 9.9%
  • 3Q 2013

Votes: 25 14.6%
  • 4Q 2013

Votes: 14 8.2%
  • 1Q 2014

Votes: 14 8.2%
  • 2Q 2014

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • 3Q 2014

Votes: 12 7.0%
  • 4Q 2014

Votes: 17 9.9%
  • 1Q 2015

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • 2Q 2015

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • 3Q 2015

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 4Q 2015

Votes: 4 2.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think we can compare S85D's with S85, P85, P85D because the S85D only has the smaller drive unit. As far as I can tell, none of these issues have been present on the smaller drive unit. Am I wrong?

I believe I read somewhere that the drive unit problems were more common on the performance models but they weren't unheard of on the standard Model S. I think the way people drive the car is a factor in the problem. Jack rabbit starts pump a lot of current very suddenly through drive units. It's one of the most exiting things about driving a Model S, but it does stress things more than driving like any other car.

I would guess if there was a way to chart how often a car is driven gently vs jack rabbit starts there would be a correlation between DU replacements and these driving patterns. I would also guess that Performance owners are more likely to accelerate hard more often than owners of the "lesser" models. Though that is just speculation on my part.

My VIN is just over 11k higher than yours… May 2013 production. Car will turn 50k miles tomorrow.

I had the DU replaced at my 1 year / 12k mile service in Feb 2014. The service manager drove the car to check out another issue a couple months before then, and he said that the DU needed replacing -- I hadn't noticed the whine until then (and then I heard it all the time…). He suggested waiting a month or two since it wasn't critical, and that another revision was about to be released that was supposed to solve the issues.

Over 2 years and nearly 38k miles later, the current DU has been great...
68K, just over three years, original DU.

I believe I read somewhere that the drive unit problems were more common on the performance models but they weren't unheard of on the standard Model S. I think the way people drive the car is a factor in the problem. Jack rabbit starts pump a lot of current very suddenly through drive units. It's one of the most exiting things about driving a Model S, but it does stress things more than driving like any other car.

I have a non-P Model S, and it's had two replacements. The first one had the highway-hum, the second had the milling sound after only a few thousand miles. We do not do any quick accelerations. I know because we got the car over three years ago when my daughter was only 2 months old, and she is in the car nearly 99% of the time. And now she has a 2-month old younger brother. There's no way me or my wife would drive with even moderate acceleration with a baby in the car.

I would guess if there was a way to chart how often a car is driven gently vs jack rabbit starts there would be a correlation between DU replacements and these driving patterns. I would also guess that Performance owners are more likely to accelerate hard more often than owners of the "lesser" models. Though that is just speculation on my part.

I can tell you this is false. I'm on my 7th drive unit on an S85 and I don't drive my car hard. It could be something like lots of highway miles affect it.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: deonb and cwerdna
It seems most DU problems were from RWD cars, and mostly older. Does getting a D model seem to solve this problem, or is there just not enough data yet because they are too new? It's really the only thing that has worried me over the years.

As far as I can tell the smaller D motors have not exhibited the issues and I think they've been out long enough now that we'd start seeing reports of issues by now, so that's a good thing. Also, even with the number of replacements I've had, I'm not at all worried. Each one has gotten progressively better and I'm feeling pretty confident the latest one might actually be the one to address the milling issue once and for all. This is a total guess on my part, but I think they made an effort to make sure the milling issue was fixed before shipping the X. We'll see if any X owners start reporting any drive train issues. Either way, the 8 year warranty makes me feel comfortable that if there is an issue again, Tesla will fix it as they've always done, so I'm not at all concerned.

I can tell you this is false. I'm on my 7th drive unit on an S85 and I don't drive my car hard. It could be something like lots of highway miles affect it.

On a previous DU thread I speculated that there is obviously some kind of improper ground path going on with the cars that are having continual problems. That path doesn't get fixed and the current going where it isn't supposed to go causes erosion of something in the drive unit.

I later read that the problem was more common in performance models than in the standard model. It also appears to be less common in dual drive cars, but that may just be they went a long ways towards fixing the underlying problem with those vehicles, or it may be that with the energy spread between two drive units less current is going to each one, so the erosion problem is reduced.

The fact that is is more common in performance models tells me that frequent hard acceleration may contribute in some cases, but there are also people like you who drive the car gently that still have problems.

My speculation that jack rabbit starts might contribute is over a statistical population rather than all people who have drive unit problems push their cars hard.

It's like the analysis of say lung cancer in the population. There are people who develop lung cancer who never smoked, never lived around smokers, and never did anything else that put them at risk. But if you analyze a large population of lung cancer patients, you'll find a large number of smokers and other people who did things we now associate as risk factors. It was by analyzing these lifestyle patterns that the risk factors were found.

On the other side of the coin, there are also people like George Burns who smoked every day and lived to be over 100.

Tesla is the only people who have the data to figure this out. Anything reported here is just anecdotal evidence. The stories here are enough to say there has been a problem going back to the first Model Ss built, and that some newer cars are still having problems, but there isn't enough data across the entire population of Model Ss out there to determine how big the problems really is/was and how much it has been mitigated.

It seems most DU problems were from RWD cars, and mostly older. Does getting a D model seem to solve this problem, or is there just not enough data yet because they are too new? It's really the only thing that has worried me over the years.
Solve the problem? No. Here are some examples of DU failures (or something failing inside them) and noise on D cars:
P85D Rear Drive Unit failure
Dual engine shut down on freeway. Anyone else?
P85D Rear Drive Unit failure
Drive Unit failure symptoms and thresholds for replacement
P85D Front Motor Died
P85D Front Motor Died

Though if you actually read the stories, the issues are not the same as old problems:
P85D - VIN 62K, both replaced, but not due to milling, one was leaking and the other was causing a 12 V problem
P90DL - 2015 - Front drive unit got a software fault, Tesla replaced the drive unit on next SC visit even though the problem had not reoccurred
P85D - Rear DU coolant leak
S85D - Whining DU, thinks front, but hadn't taken it in
P85D - Sensor fault on rear unit caused the car to disable the front motor, rear DU replaced
Unknown dual motor - Failed temp sensor on the front motor caused it to shut down

Only 1 had noise, but hadn't had it fixed as of the posting. I didn't see any follow up. 4 were Performance models, 1 unknown. I also note at least 4 of the 6 were 85s, which most likely indicates they were earlier dual drive Model Ss. I believe most people took the 90 option when it became available, and that it was even more common on the Performance model.

No matter what car you look at, there will always be some cars that have problems. There are brand new Lexuses that have problems, though it's far rarer than with new Volkswagens. All we have to go on is anecdotal evidence, but if you look at what data people have been able to collect here, there were a lot more drive unit problems on cars built in 2012 and 2013, than since. 2014 saw a decrease in problems, and 2015 saw even fewer. It's still too early in 2016 to tell, but it's also notable that reports of problems are going down each year while the number of cars built has gone up. That clearly shows the rate of problems, which is the only factor that really counts, has gone down.

To really understand the problem you have to look at the aggregate patterns and not point out a few examples.

Most if not all of those are P85D's which would have the same rear drive unit as non-D's. It's the front drive unit on the PXXD and both drive units on the XXD 's that I think have had far fewer issues.

I never had a whining or milling sound then one day around 40,000 miles I heard a loud bang when accelerating from my office parking lot and then no power. I coasted to the side of the road and called for a flat bed. Yes I have a classic 2012. My service advisor told me the new motors are much improved. So far so good.

VIN 08xxx from April 2013 at 48k miles. Just had the original replaced last week at service. Was making both the whine and milling sound. Probably was ready about 6k miles ago but just decided to wait until my annual. Wasn't a safety issues just irritating.

After 33K miles, the buzzing noise on my 2014 S85 started getting really loud. I took it in and I am scheduled to have DU replacement this Friday. For the record, I do tend to accelerate pretty aggressively from time to time... It is just too much fun, I can't help it.

55k and my 2013 classic is heading in for a new DU. Does anyone know exactly what bits they are replacing?

The drive unit, consisting of the motor and gearbox. More specifically:
Screen Shot 2015-10-28 at 7.44.23 PM.png