Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive Unit Replacement Poll

Drive Units Replaced

• 1 Units

Votes: 305 79.0%
  • 2 Units

Votes: 57 14.8%
  • 3 Units

Votes: 13 3.4%
  • 4 Units

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 5+ Units

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need to change Poll

You need to have a line for -0- replacements. So far there are 26 replacements in the poll total. If that out of 40,000 delivered, that's ok, if it is out of several hundred reading this thread then that's excessive.

You need to have a line for -0- replacements. So far there are 26 replacements in the poll total. If that out of 40,000 delivered, that's ok, if it is out of several hundred reading this thread then that's excessive.

It also matters if the replacements were in the first 2000 cars produced or randomly scattered throughout & happening at a drastically reduced rate, same rate, or more often. (That's why I hate polls like this, the intent is good - but the data can be misused so easily by people trolling with an agenda ...)

Mod Note: seeing as folks keep asking...there's no way to reconfigure a poll (i.e. adding options) once it's been started. I know it makes this poll meaningless but the only way to have the extra option folks are requesting is to start it again from scratch. Sorry, but the software prevents anyone from playing with poll results.

another major factor is that a lot of these seem to be requests by owners after noise without any evidence that the noise is of any harm. I have multiple noises too, but I have no need to ask about them. Tesla seems to just be playing it safe on those. So realistically there are probably a lot less of these that are actual issues.

another major factor is that a lot of these seem to be requests by owners after noise without any evidence that the noise is of any harm. I have multiple noises too, but I have no need to ask about them. Tesla seems to just be playing it safe on those. So realistically there are probably a lot less of these that are actual issues.

I agree with this..... My car was making a little noise at 70 mph plus. It was most noticeable at about 5K miles. I continued to drive it and 90% of it has gone. I now have 10K miles. Tires wearing in?????

Why does it matter if there's any "harm" or not? If the drive unit is producing excessive and/or abnormal noise(s) vs. when it was new (or new ones coming off the line) and Tesla agrees to replace it, then that's that.

Before Edmunds got their 1st drive unit replacement, they heard the noises at Ominous Noise - 2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test. Was the noise "of any harm" in your book? It was replaced: Ominous Noise Fixed - 2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test.

And, as many of us know, it got replaced again (Is the Third Drive Unit the Charm? - 2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test) along w/the HV battery pack and 12 volt battery after the car died on them: Stuck on the Freeway - 2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

I agree we're going to need a new poll (if there isn't one already) w/a choice for 0. And, if possible, it needs to be closed after a certain amount of time and a new one re-opened. After all, someone can answer 0 now and need 1 or more replacements in the future.

Last edited:
I agree we're going to need a new poll (if there isn't one already) w/a choice for 0. And, if possible, it needs to be closed after a certain amount of time and a new one re-opened. After all, someone can answer 0 now and need 1 or more replacements in the future.

And the real way to do it is to also have a miles variant (although I don't think it can be done in a single poll as there is a limit to the number of choices). But ideally it would look something like this:

Replacements: 0 1 2 3 4 5 + 10,000 miles (15,000) km
Replacements: 0 1 2 3 4 5 + 20,000 miles (30,000) km
Replacements: 0 1 2 3 4 5 + 50,000 miles (80,000) km
Replacements: 0 1 2 3 4 5 + 100,000 miles (163,000) km
Replacements: 0 1 2 3 4 5 + 125,000 miles (200,000) km
Replacements: 0 1 2 3 4 5 + 150,000 miles (241,000) km
Replacements: 0 1 2 3 4 5 + 185,000 miles (300,000) km
Replacements: 0 1 2 3 4 5 + 250,000 miles (400,000) km
Replacements: 0 1 2 3 4 5 + 300,000 miles (500,000) km

I did not experience anything like what was shown in those Edmunds videos. Both of my drive unit replacements were due to the "droning" noise above 70 MPH, which seemed to peak at around 20 kW of power. Unfortunately, constant 20 kW input is almost exactly what is required to maintain freeway speed. The fix has something to do with the updated motor mounts.