Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive Unit Replacement Poll

Drive Units Replaced

• 1 Units

Votes: 305 79.0%
  • 2 Units

Votes: 57 14.8%
  • 3 Units

Votes: 13 3.4%
  • 4 Units

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 5+ Units

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I meant to ask you on Friday if you'd had any DU replacements considering you're still on your original A pack.

Well, the DU is separate from the battery pack and is not replaced as part of this work. Aside from somewhat slower Supercharging, my A-pack seems to be doing okay. I did have the main contactors in the pack fail, but all of this is separate from the DU.

Mine was replaced (again) yesterday. Part number is 1002633-00-Q. No indication on the Service Order, but the Service Manager said in passing that it was a "remanufactured" unit. The annoying "clunk" is gone and the incessant "angry mosquito" buzzing is also gone!

Mine was replaced (again) yesterday. Part number is 1002633-00-Q. No indication on the Service Order, but the Service Manager said in passing that it was a "remanufactured" unit. The annoying "clunk" is gone and the incessant "angry mosquito" buzzing is also gone!

It's only been 1 day, but all the whining and high pitched squeals I heard from my original drive unit at various speeds are now gone with the new one... Crossing my fingers. :)

Has anyone with a "Q" DU revision experienced any issues yet? I'm under the impression that there's at least one case where the milling came back. I'm due for my second annual maintenance and I'd like to get everything done at once, but I'm hesitant if they're still working on updated versions.

Just learned that my S received another drive unit. This will be its fourth. Car has 41K mi on it.

The previous drive unit lasted um . . . 7 months. All I had reported was that I noticed the very beginnings of the milling/cicada sound. I figured it'd take 6 months to get real loud and obnoxious. Well, some service tech noticed the faint sound too, and they had a drive unit refurb lying around, so they decided to proactively swap the old one out.

Also getting a new brake vacuum pump, and new heating system (the latter being the main reason the ranger came to tow the car away).

I just received a new DU for the milling noise on 3/2/16 with 26,000 miles on the car. I think it's a Q? The invoice says ASY,P-TRAIN,MECH,COMPLETE,RC (10026xx-00-Q).

Anyways, my car has never been more quiet. I've been driving around the past 2 days without any music, and I'm blown away how silent the car is. I'm pretty sure it's quieter than when I first took delivery. Can barely hear a whine at acceleration! It might just be me, but it feels like it drives different as well. Thanks Tesla! Never been happier!

Has anyone with a "Q" DU revision experienced any issues yet? I'm under the impression that there's at least one case where the milling came back. I'm due for my second annual maintenance and I'd like to get everything done at once, but I'm hesitant if they're still working on updated versions.
Spoke to my service advisor and a technician. Both told me that they have the milling issue sorted out. Hopefully that is the case. But you have an 8 year DU warranty anyways so if it comes back, you can just get it replaced with a newer revision DU down the road.

Since this thread is still active...

Even though the post below is old, and you used the words design flaw, I figured I'd point to another post in another thread... (You're not the only one to refer to repeated DU problems (mainly noise) as a design flaw...)
I hate to say it, but Tesla needs to sort this out ASAP. I can see a bunch of lawsuits over these drive units once the warranty expires. I read that replacing a drive unit would cost $15,000 out of warranty. I've already received two replacements in just over 8,000 miles. There is clearly a design flaw because you don't expect your car's motor to get noisier over time. We're not talking minor and occasional weird noises like the balloon squeal. This droning noise is significant and annoying. It was so loud in my car that it drowned out the radio except at very high volume levels.

I do not think Model S owners will become more tolerant of the noise if out of warranty repair is expensive. I believe you will see a class action lawsuit. I'm certainly not advocating that, but clearly there is a design flaw that should not be acceptable and should be addressed by Tesla in a more or less permanent fashion.
(emphasis added is mine)
Agreed this looks like a conflation between motor and drive unit. I've never heard of a motor failure either, but there certainly have been issues with other parts of the drive units.

Having said that, the causes we know about have mostly been stupid stuff like improperly calibrated grease injectors on the assembly line, rather than any fundamental design issue.

There might be an issue with how performance has been pushed beyond the original design intent, but that's more a problem with marketing than technology.
I disagree that there is an absence of a "fundamental design issue" and argued my case starting at Review calls Tesla's Motor subpar - Page 5. About the only way someone can make that statement is if they had knowledge of every single DU that came back and the root cause of each problem. Even w/that, design flaws can still be discovered later.

Last edited:
Add another one to the replacement count. Just got my second annual maintenance done at almost 36k for an S85 delivered 09/2014. Looks like I got a "Q" revision based on the part number.

After bearing this noise (ahem, see what I did there?) for maybe 6 - 9 months, it's back to near-silent like it was originally. Hope it stays this way forever.