Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive Unit Replacement Poll

Drive Units Replaced

• 1 Units

Votes: 305 79.0%
  • 2 Units

Votes: 57 14.8%
  • 3 Units

Votes: 13 3.4%
  • 4 Units

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 5+ Units

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys so I took delivery mid March 3/14 and it's only been 2 weeks. I am hearing the high pitched mosquito sound when accelerating. Even with my music turned up to 4 I still hear the high pitched sound. Is this a DU issue?

I don't hear it on the highway because I think the wind blocks out the sound.

Model S 85 delivered Feb 2013. (First) drive unit replacement in Feb 2016. I now have the "Q" revision.

I believe there was at least one (maybe more) design flaw in earlier drive unit revisions which has now been addressed. Has anyone with the "Q" drive unit had a replacement?

How many miles before the replacement?
About 25,600.

The noise ("milling" or "cicada") developed over time over the course of a year or two. I waited to tell them about it until the most recent annual service. I figured the longer I waited the more likely Tesla would have a permanent fix ready.

When the drivetrain issues first appeared, I calculated what it would cost for Tesla to replace absolutely everyone's drivetrain, and I realized it was financially immaterial. So it was just a question of when/whether they'd have all the bugs permanently fixed.

This is a good example of why Tesla needed to build a car with a high profit margin initially, before they could build Model 3, in order to work the bugs out. Replacing all the drivetrains on a lower-margin car could be a financial problem. Replacing them on 50,000 Model S is within their budget.

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc and Cyclone
That makes it two in 50K miles
I got my 2nd replacement after just under 15k miles. Still under 50k over. Hopefully this 3rd drive unit holds up better. :)

Hmm, my most recent DU replacement was 1002633-00-N ... I take it that's not as desirable?
This was what I received in Aug 2015.

My replacement was a part #1002633-00-Q, so it looks like revision Q has been the latest for a while? Anybody get a drive unit with revision R or later yet?
I got a Q for this replacement in June 2016.

I had my annual service performed recently and was told they replaced my drive unit.
2012 21k miles.

"Confirmed noise from withing rear drive unit. Recording gathered and uploaded.
Proceeded to replace rear drive unit".

I didn't even realize I had an issue. Are they just being proactive?

The Q revision has been out since at least Feburary and appears to have fixed all the problems. My guess is that Tesla are now proactively replacing all pre-Q drivetrains which haven't already been replaced.
No, My second DU has the milling noise & its getting louder, I have been asking for a replacement but I have been denied, I guess I am supposed to be annoyed everytime I drive the car until someone at Tesla finally approves a swap...I need to wait until I am outside of acceptable specs (whatever the hell that means).

• Informative
Reactions: neroden