Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive Unit Replacement Poll

Drive Units Replaced

• 1 Units

Votes: 298 79.3%
  • 2 Units

Votes: 56 14.9%
  • 3 Units

Votes: 11 2.9%
  • 4 Units

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 5+ Units

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters

neroden

Model S Owner and Frustrated Tesla Fan
Apr 25, 2011
Ithaca, NY, USA
No, My second DU has the milling noise & its getting louder, I have been asking for a replacement but I have been denied, I guess I am supposed to be annoyed everytime I drive the car until someone at Tesla finally approves a swap...I need to wait until I am outside of acceptable specs (whatever the hell that means).
Just to verify: is your milling-noise unit a pre-Q model?
(If not, it would be the first Q unit with reported problems so that would be important to know.)

If it is an older unit, escalate. The damage is actually dangerous in the long run.

Reactions: apacheguy

pgiralt

Supporting Member
Jun 16, 2013
Cary, NC
Original DU developed the "clunk clunk" sound & was replaced with my current version N that has the milling so I have been fortunate to experience both DU sounds, add my balloon squeal from the battery contractors & I have the makings of a Tesla band.

I don't think the milling issue was actually fixed until -Q, so I'm not surprised that you're seeing the issue in a -N.

Reactions: neroden and idoco

yak-55

Sep 10, 2014
Florida
I don't think the milling issue was actually fixed until -Q, so I'm not surprised that you're seeing the issue in a -N.

Are you relying on a lack of reports (to date) of milling from Q version DUs or do you have some other reason to believe the milling issue is actually "fixed" ?

pgiralt

Supporting Member
Jun 16, 2013
Cary, NC
Are you relying on a lack of reports (to date) of milling from Q version DUs or do you have some other reason to believe the milling issue is actually "fixed" ?

A little bit of both. There have been no reports, but as someone who has gone through 7 drive unit replacements and now have a -Q, by this point in age and milage, I would have already had a problem with the drive unit and I haven't. I know I'm a sample size of 1, but this -Q has been excellent. I'm hoping it will be my last drive unit.

yak-55

Sep 10, 2014
Florida
A little bit of both. There have been no reports, but as someone who has gone through 7 drive unit replacements and now have a -Q, by this point in age and milage, I would have already had a problem with the drive unit and I haven't. I know I'm a sample size of 1, but this -Q has been excellent. I'm hoping it will be my last drive unit.
Thanks. Here's hoping your seventh is your last!

Theshadows

Apr 20, 2013
PA
We had our third unit replaced in late May with a P version (1025598-00-P) . This is the quietest and smoothest motor we have ever had.

pgiralt

Supporting Member
Jun 16, 2013
Cary, NC
I have an appointment for my 6th replacement. But at one visit they swapped it out twice. They put in a new one, noticed it was also noisy and swapped it out again. After the next appointment my car will have it's 8th drive unit.

As long as you get a -Q (or later if such a thing exists), I think this will be your last. 5 months and 12k miles on the -Q so far and it's been perfectly quiet. I've never gone 12k miles on a drive unit without starting to hear something, so it's very promising.

• Helpful
Reactions: David99

SD Diver

Apr 5, 2016
San Diego
Haha. Having picked up a CPO 2 months ago, I'll have to wait and see if I have a problem then. I was hoping that there might have been some meaningful advice, such as removing the trunk footwell or ???

RJK911

Aug 23, 2014
Long Island, NY
I had mine replaced a month or two ago (June 2016?)

2013 P85, P007XXX

Approximately 45k miles at time of replacement. March 2013 production.

The car was a CPO, I picked it up with 42,333 miles in February. I don't know if was replaced prior to my ownership.

pgiralt

Supporting Member
Jun 16, 2013
Cary, NC
Considering I just got a P replacement, I'm wondering if any P Model Ss have gotten a Q drivetrain? or any P drivetrains have reported issues?

I never had a P. I had a -M which developed the milling issue which was replaced with -Q. There's certainly a chance -P fixed it.

Reactions: neroden

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC