Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive Unit Replacement Poll

Drive Units Replaced

• 1 Units

Votes: 305 79.0%
  • 2 Units

Votes: 57 14.8%
  • 3 Units

Votes: 13 3.4%
  • 4 Units

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 5+ Units

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had my drive unit replaced on June 29th.
"ASY,P-TRAIN,RMN,MDLS,SPORT,CMC,HS
(1025598-00-P)"

I'm noticing the car feels weaker on pedal response when I floor it or just attempt bursts of speed to get around bad drivers on highways. I took the car into service to have weird rattling looked at underneath the car and got a p85 as a loaner. the response of that car pins me to the seat and my wife confirmed that this is how my car felt when I first got it as a CPO in January 2016.

I just had my drive unit replaced on June 29th.
"ASY,P-TRAIN,RMN,MDLS,SPORT,CMC,HS
(1025598-00-P)"

I'm noticing the car feels weaker on pedal response when I floor it or just attempt bursts of speed to get around bad drivers on highways. I took the car into service to have weird rattling looked at underneath the car and got a p85 as a loaner. the response of that car pins me to the seat and my wife confirmed that this is how my car felt when I first got it as a CPO in January 2016.

PURSUE THIS - IT HAPPENED TO ME!

I had my third drive unit replacement in January of 2015. After that swap, my P85 felt like a S85 - no snappy acceleration, pedal response was not as snappy as before, and overall the car felt sluggish. Since the swap I've driven several P85 loaners and they all had that "push you back into your seat" acceleration that my car seemed to have lost.

I contacted service and asked them about this, but in every instance they said they checked it out and it feels fine. The last time a service technician said that he honestly wouldn't even know where to begin diagnosing an issue like this. So I just settled into believing it was all in my head.

Lo and behold, that drive unit developed an electrical buzzing noise and service swapped it out a month ago at my last annual. I received a P-revision unit. I asked for Q but they said Qs were not for P cars, and they would give me the latest. Well, my car now has its snappy acceleration back like it did when it was new!

I've posted here previously about my car not feeling as fast as it was originally, but nobody else seemed to have the same issue and I've googled it extensively and no similar reports pop up anywhere. But now that you mentioned it, I wanted to mention my similar experience. There is something going on. Not all replacement drive units are the same, even though they are for "performance" cars, and some are faster than others.

This should be concerning.

Model S p85. Developed a bearing noise. Changed out with the p assembly as well as a new inverter cover.

Silent now, so much more so when driving that I was surprised. Balloon noise still there at 120+kwh power output, but no issue with snapping necks back in the seat. :)

Model S p85. Developed a bearing noise. Changed out with the p assembly as well as a new inverter cover.

Silent now, so much more so when driving that I was surprised. Balloon noise still there at 120+kwh power output, but no issue with snapping necks back in the seat. :)

The balloon squeal has to do with your battery contactors. My vehicle received a contactor update some months ago and the squeal is long gone.

Reactions: cwerdna
The balloon squeal has to do with your battery contactors. My vehicle received a contactor update some months ago and the squeal is long gone.

Well aware. I've asked and they said it is normal and within spec. All of the loaners I've driven had it as well, so even if I know it shouldn't be there I can't just go back in and say "let's take a ride in this one and you tell me if you can hear it."

Kind of waiting for it to get worse then pressing.

As for the drive train, the new one has a bit of a gear wine. Can't hear it with the radio on, so it is very quiet. Sounds almost normal, but... Or it is a noise from elsewhere that I couldn't hear before. Very faint on and off throttle. Anyone else have something like that?

Well aware. I've asked and they said it is normal and within spec. All of the loaners I've driven had it as well, so even if I know it shouldn't be there I can't just go back in and say "let's take a ride in this one and you tell me if you can hear it."

Kind of waiting for it to get worse then pressing.
My understanding is that you cannot get the contactor update unless your VIN# is on the list of cars that need the update.

My S85 had the contactors proactively replaced ("service campaign update" or some wording like that) back in 2015.

My S85 was on the same list. Unfortunately, mine failed on the way home from work in the dead of winter before my number came up on the list for proactive work. When they go, you get a colossal "bang" that feels like you were rear-ended.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
This past June while my drive unit was being replaced again I thought it would be a good time to replace the contactors while car was up on the lift, I sat there as "they" searched thru service bulletins & was flat out told "contractor replacement was for only P85's only & I shouldn't believe everything I read on the forums".

Since the car is mostly driven by my wife to shuttle the kids around I should prepare her for a failure :mad:.

@pgiralt my VIN is 15655, 16 higher

3+ years of annoying balloon squeals & counting.

Hi, they are currently replacing my P85+ 2014 drivetrain as I write this. It started with a low mosquito sound around 5-10kwh load and increase in sound over time. Hopefully I won't have to replace it again in the futur. The car has 61 000 km so around 38 000 miles.