Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive Unit Replacement Poll

Drive Units Replaced

• 1 Units

Votes: 305 79.0%
  • 2 Units

Votes: 57 14.8%
  • 3 Units

Votes: 13 3.4%
  • 4 Units

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 5+ Units

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MS 70D, 11months old, approx 13,000km
"Rear Motor Disabled - Power Reduced" warning on the dash suddenly last week driving near home, was able to continue driving home on front motor only. Next day could not put the car into drive. Diagnosed with internal inverter failure, replaced rear drive unit on 10/31 under warranty.

I see discussion in this thread of replacement drive unit versions, my service invoice has a part number with a "-F" suffix.
Hopefully this is the one and only time I ever need to contribute to this poll!

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
MS 70D, 11months old, approx 13,000km
"Rear Motor Disabled - Power Reduced" warning on the dash suddenly last week driving near home, was able to continue driving home on front motor only. Next day could not put the car into drive. Diagnosed with internal inverter failure, replaced rear drive unit on 10/31 under warranty.

I see discussion in this thread of replacement drive unit versions, my service invoice has a part number with a "-F" suffix.
Hopefully this is the one and only time I ever need to contribute to this poll!
F revision is very old, unless this is for a smaller motor and not the larger one.

Need "0" option in the pole.

17 months/17,000 miles, zero drive train issues
I thought the same thing but also thought surely someone else has mentioned it in 29 pages of posts. It does make the failure rate look completely out of normal not having that zero option. I can't believe some idiot on seekingalpha or Forbes, etc has not tried to reference this thread and make it look like every Tesla needs a new drivetrain monthly.

I thought the same thing but also thought surely someone else has mentioned it in 29 pages of posts. It does make the failure rate look completely out of normal not having that zero option. I can't believe some idiot on seekingalpha or Forbes, etc has not tried to reference this thread and make it look like every Tesla needs a new drivetrain monthly.
Sigh.You're only about the 45th people to say so. I think one guy even made a new thread it bothered him so much. The fact is the zero option isn't particularly useful since most "0" folks won't bother to read and respond. At least this way, nobody thinks this poll represents an actual failure rate which it never could no matter HOW you structured it.

Sigh.You're only about the 45th people to say so. I think one guy even made a new thread it bothered him so much. The fact is the zero option isn't particularly useful since most "0" folks won't bother to read and respond. At least this way, nobody thinks this poll represents an actual failure rate which it never could no matter HOW you structured it.

And I did say that surely someone else must have mentioned it. I just did not want to read 570 posts to find out ;)

Well...

I'm at 1 (fingers crossed) on my 2013 Model S85 (because I believe they didn't have the simple fix at the time.) Had the motor whine thing around 25k miles, and it's re-occurring now at 67k. But the Drivetrain is working and the car is about to go in for its annual (about a month late, but that's because they had my wife's Roadster in there for a month and just had its motor replaced.)

However, I had a failure on one of 3 loaners I've had since the Roadster was in for service. The car wouldn't engage and I was able (with the remote help of the service center) to get it restarted before we drove it home to get it towed to the service center to be taken care of.

This is the story with our loaner P85D.... (and my first AP week-long drive test. Failure and some possible temporary fixes.)

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Just joined the drive unit replacement club. Mine failed at 41k miles with a clunk and it coasted to a stop, wouldn't go forward or reverse.

Since I'm not the original owner, don't know if this is the first unit on that car, but I believe it was a Tesla demo in its early days so probably got driven pretty hard in its early days.

Ironically, I was going to take it in for service soon as it had a few of the typical early gremlins. Some well known, door handles don't respond to touch, A/C noise issue which apparently gets the silencer kit, rear trim piece causing fog in the reverse lights, short visor upgrade for shorter drivers.

It also felt like it needed front end alignment, didn't feel like it tracked straight. Figured I would have them do the LTE upgrade while it was there as my area struggles occasionally with the 3G map and radio data load times.

Hoping this is my first and last drive unit, but I must admit, I feel a lot more warm and fuzzy knowing it know has the 8 year unlimited warranty vs the old 50k mile warranty.

Kinda felt ironic joining the stereo typical door handle and drive unit club though.:confused:

At the same time, I get the drive the P85 loaner in the meantime, so I guess I'll just suffer in silence.:cool:

Only problem is, the loaner is White, and my wife loves White cars. She may refuse to return it once mine is ready...

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Just joined the DU replacement club. The original DU was in the car (4 years and 30k miles). Just was feeling a slight vibration between 18-25 mph. Thought is might be a U-Joint or tire balance. Brought it in and the SC didn't like the sound the DU was making. They scoped it and decided to change it. No issues, got a loaner, got the car back in a day and half.

I will say that after driving the P85 loaner with 21" tires, I loved my car even better than before.

When the poll started I had 2 replacements. Over time I had mine replaced 7 times. Every 15k miles it became so noisy that it had to be replaced. Now I finally have one that stays quiet. I believe they got the issues worked out and once all cars with problem got the new revision drive unit, the issue s fixed for good.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cyclone