Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive Unit Replacement Poll

Drive Units Replaced

• 1 Units

Votes: 305 79.0%
  • 2 Units

Votes: 57 14.8%
  • 3 Units

Votes: 13 3.4%
  • 4 Units

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 5+ Units

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Service Manager and tech said that the problem has been fixed in forward production (not sure what VIN) and that they are seeing very few issues with newer builds (....but presumably only TM knows).

I hope you are right. I was told by Tesla Service that they ordered a brand new drive unit for me (not remanufactured), it's in stock, and they will perform the repair Wednesday of next week. Here's to the third time being the charm. The fact that it's brand new gives me hope that the issue will not recur.

Same here. Never had a failure. All issues have been noise-related, the worst of which have been the low frequency humming sound above 60 mph (first time) and 70 mph (third time) which were just really annoying on road trips.

Now the question is... which batch of "new" drive units has had the issue fixed? To be fair to Tesla, when I had my last drive unit swapped out in early 2014 I was told that the noise may come back because Tesla did not have a permanent fix for the issue at that time. Since then, Tesla has identified the droning/hum noise to be related to the bearings which can be repaired on-site at the service centers per Tesla's service bulletin. However, my DU is also starting to buzz which tells me there could be something going on with the inverter or HV connections.

I remember how annoying our motor was when it started droning. Our car was picked up today by the ranger to have the drive unit replaced. Drove the loaner into town and I was amazed at how quiet it was. I hadn't realized how loud our motor had gotten.

Service called and let me know that they went ahead and swapped my drive unit for a brand new one, not remanufactured. They were first inclined to apply the TSB for drive unit bearings, but in the end they felt swapping the DU was best. This is the third drive unit replacement and the fourth actual drive unit if you count the one that came from the factory. All were swapped due to drone/hum noise above 70 MPH. This last DU had a secondary, faint electrical buzzing that was audible at all speeds with power input between 10 kW and 40 kW. It also had the balloon noise, but I was told that noise was normal and related to the contactors, not the drive unit. Interestingly, the technician told me that at those high current levels, the current that flows through the contactor becomes a highly charged plasma and it is the flow of that plasma that causes the balloon squeal. It was an explanation that I had not heard before.

I am picking up my car in about an hour, here's to a more silent drive unit and hoping third time is the charm! Hopefully the number if times I've swapped my drive unit will not exceed the number of times I've exchanged my iPhone. Both are currently at the magical number of 3.

Again, fantastic service experience - thanks Tesla!

Last edited:
Service called and let me know that they went ahead and swapped my drive unit for a brand new one, not remanufactured. They were first inclined to apply the TSB for drive unit bearings, but in the end they felt swapping the DU was best. This is the third drive unit replacement and the fourth actual drive unit if you count the one that came from the factory. All were swapped due to drone/hum noise above 70 MPH. This last DU had a secondary, faint electrical buzzing that was audible at all speeds with power input between 10 kW and 40 kW. It also had the balloon noise, but I was told that noise was normal and related to the contactors, not the drive unit. Interestingly, the technician told me that at those high current levels, the current that flows through the contactor becomes a highly charged plasma and it is the flow of that plasma that causes the balloon squeal. It was an explanation that I had not heard before.

I am picking up my car in about an hour, here's to a more silent drive unit and hoping third time is the charm! Hopefully the number if times I've swapped my drive unit will not exceed the number of times I've exchanged my iPhone. Both are currently at the magical number of 3.

Again, fantastic service experience - thanks Tesla!

Yep, after my third visit to the SC about the 70Mph+ drone they replaced mine today as well as replaced a contactor in the main pack and the 12v battery. I'll get mine back tomorrow (also with the folding mirror retrofit).

Just put in for one myself. They'll call me when they have a DU waiting for install. It was purely due to a low kw noise. They said it was a very annoying noise with no serious ramifications, but they would be glad to swap it due to the annoyance.

It'll be the first, and it probably wasn't a serious issue long term.

My latest drive unit has developed an annoying buzzing at low speeds and low power (really obvious at 20 mph and around 10 kW power but happens from 10 mph all the way into the 40s). I'm on my 4th already (3 replacements) and this one has been good for a few months. Besides this issue, it's been a very quiet DU. This problem was the exact reason for my second replacement. The others were the same loud 60+ droning sound others have reported. Sigh. :-(

I had my drive unit replaced at ~16k miles due to buzzing at power between 10kW-40kW. No functional problems, just annoying. Started buzzing around 14k miles, between 10kW and 20kW power draw, but the upper bound of power draw for buzzing steadily increased. New drive unit has started buzzing again at around 24k miles, but only does so around 10kW-20kW. I assume it will progress like the first one and eventually buzz up to 40kW or beyond, depending how long I can stand it. So the new drive unit made it 8k miles before developing symptoms.

(My 21" Conti Tires made it longer, nearly 2 years and 24,500 miles. Probably could have got another 1-2k out of them. 12v battery is also nearly 1.5 years old.)

Did anyone note the drive unit question during the Q4 call? Elon again minimized it and said it's "forum noise". Elon stated that there was a period of time last year when DUs were manufactured without the correct amount of "spline grease", which caused the spline to deteriorate. JB said that fixes to the drive unit to address these issues are integrated into manufacturing, so all new DUs being produced have fixes in place. Mine was replaced a couple of weeks ago with a brand new (not reman) unit, so I hope that one had the fixes. His response during the call doesn't explain why two of my 2013 DUs had the same problems as a 2014 DU. That goes outside of the time frame during which Musk admitted there was a problem.

JB also said that the service centers can now even replace the motor's rotors without swapping the DU. Tesla has gotten much better at repairing the DUs locally, but it seems like most service centers are still opting to swap them when needed. I believe the service bulletins for these intricate repairs are just rolling out, so many service centers don't yet know how to perform these repairs. Scottsdale, AZ SC received a bunch of tools and equipment to make DU repairs, but the instructions on how to actually use that equipment were still forthcoming from Tesla as of 2 weeks ago.

I definitely noticed that. It's very likely that the problem seemed more pervasive than it actually was, selection bias, etc. Clearly there was a problem though and I'm glad to know it'll be waning as time goes on. Tesla certainly has had a learning curve and I don't fault them for that. They're taking the right steps to keeping their customers happy which matters more to me.

Our new one is perfect. It's actually remanufactured. I think I read up post where they are replacing them with new ones now.

Overall very pleased with the service. I just wish the ranger that picked up our car wouldn't have told me we just missed getting the D for a loaner.

This is our second replacement unit. First unit replaced at 8k miles for klunking. Second one replaced at 31k miles for milling sound and buzzing sounds at low power.

I didn't realize how bad the drowning had gotten until we drove the loaner on the highway. Our replacement is just as quiet.

DRIVE UNIT - SPORT WITH SHIMS - 1 REMANUFACTURED (10***98-00-H)
Corrections: Install LH/RH EPB Harness Connector Covers Install both rear electronic parking brake harness covers
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
ELECTRONIC PARKING BRAKE HARNESS 2 CONNECTOR COVER (10***01-00-A)
Corrections: Upgrade the Side Motor Mount Installed latest revision drive unit side motor mount
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
SIDE MOTOR MOUNT ASSEMBLY (10***34 1 -00-B)