Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive unit replacement with upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There’s no reason to expect increased performance. As mentioned upthread, all RWD Model S have large rear drive units and it’s all the same part on later (~2015+) cars.
well I'm not gonna split hairs, but that is not accurate. there are definitely model s large rear drive unit variations after 2015, and in fact I'm pretty sure you know that since I've seen you post in other threads about this topic where it has been discussed. And I agree it is unlikely the user will see a performance increase but that could be due to not having other upgraded parts or some other reason.

In any event, my question is directed specifically at @smiegal and his specific experience on whether it DID or DID NOT increase performance and the conclusion to his story. thanks.

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
. there are definitely model s large rear drive unit variations after 2015
Yes, of course, but zero of them are application specific (i.e. performance vs non performance).

More specifically - there are indeed “base” and “sport” models listed in the parts catalog. On the older cars, pre “D” days, they were different units (or at least had different inverters at a minimum. However, I’ve seen no RWD cars produced after the “D” introduction receive a “base” DU as a replacement - they all get the “sport” part (and appear to have all been delivered with it in the first place).

But hey, you do you. Good luck.

Last edited: