Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive Unit Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model X owner here! Interestingly enough this Model S thread popped up when I googled the part number. I got a "Powertrain Requires Service" message the other day and brought my X in. I just got an email saying that the following part was ordered:
ASY,P-TRAIN,RMN,MDLS,SPORT,CMC,HS
Part #: 1025598-00-T

From what I have read "MDLS" refers to the model S. Interesting. Also I would wonder if given this is the aforementioned T model that I would see 0-60 times at today's advertised speed vs the previously advertised speeds with my older drive unit. This is a 2017 Ludacris model.

View attachment 616408 Got this today: ASY,P-TRAIN,SPORT,MECH,COMPLETE,18.5 RTR (1002633-01-T). 2014 P85. From what I can see this is a new unit. Fault message was "Power reduced - service needed". Glad this happened within 8 years of warranty:)

I took my 2013 P85 which I bought preowned a couple years ago and is about 1500 miles from 100k in for the "recall" I got a letter for (that Tesla isn't doing most of the time) and my wife mentioned she heard a clunk in reverse lately (she's commuting and I'm not during the pandemic).

They skipped the "recall" I got a letter for (ok, whatever) but wound up with this repair and was shocked. Looked up the part number and here I am. Guess I'm grateful both my wife heard and mentioned it and big props that Tesla was good enough to replace it. Holy crap. My receipt looks just like this but with even more parts.

My 2013 P85 with 80K miles just got the drive unit replaced:

ASY,P-TRAIN,REMAN, SPORT, LARGE DU(1025598-00-T)

Mine was out of warranty so it was a painful hit to the wallet: part alone was $4,800.

Love the Tesla but this was the 2nd drive unit replacement (1st one under warranty around 25K miles) so the quality longevity is not there…

Not to rez a dead thread, but I wanted to add another data point. My 2016 P90D requires a new rear drive unit under warranty at 84k miles and here's the part description.
ASY,P-TRAIN,SPORT,MECH,COMPLETE(1002633-01-Q)
Update. Just got my Model X back after 12 weeks. Here's the drive unit they put in.
ASY,P-Train,REMAN,SPORT,LARGE DU (1025598-00-T) I'm guessing the "REMAN" might mean remanufactured. My repair was delayed because of the HV rapid splitter harness. I guess it had to be sourced from Europe because they're either in the process of a revision update to the design and didn't have any of the same kind that would fit my 2016, or they were doing a revision and had to wait for it to be made. HV HARN,RAPIDSPLITTER-LDU,MS/X V3(1507386-02-A) Initial issue was that the rear drive unit was found to have coolant in the inverter.

Mine is in a service centre now. Dropped it off yesterday, they told me the large drive unit has an inverter issue and needs to be replaced. They ordered the parts yesterday. They arrived this morning and are being fitted today, I should get the car back tomorrow.

The car is a UK facelift Model S 2016 P90DL, the part number I'm getting is ASY,P-TRAIN, REMAN, SPORT, LARGE DU (1025598-00-T), so another remanufactured unit. Can't say I'm thrilled about this but it's free under warranty so I'm not complaining.

I was getting a Dl_w126 error massage stating 'Power Reduced, Service is Required' with an amber turtle. Twice I got a message saying vehicle shutting down, pull over safely. The latter message was red and flashing with a constant warning tone and the power was reduced to what felt like 50bhp.

I've just done a 2000mile road trip to Germany and getting this red message on a German de-restricted Autobahn at night was not fun!

No they didn't, I assumed that was the case though. Not spoken to a human face to face, all done contactless via the app.

My symptoms were like it was overheating so I thought the coolant system would be involved in some way. I only got this error while driving slightly harder than usual or doing multiple supercharges in a day.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Just got my 2016 MX P90DL back from service, they replaced the rear DU. Again part number 1025598-00-T, same as in previous posts..

There's some interesting things in the invoice.

First they changed the HV cabling because old cables could not be removed from DU because of corrosion:

"Technician inspected HV cables from rapid splitter to rear drive
unit . Technician noticed that cables are corroded and not
possible to remove. Technician replaced rapid splitter, HV
cables from rapid splitter to rear drive unit and HV cables from
rapid splitter to Gen 3 charger."

Then it gets more interesting.. They ended up replacing my perfectly functioning onboard charger:

"The Technician replaced HV cables from rapid splitter to the
Gen 3 charger. The technician states that due to the damaged
HV cable connection inside the onboard charger, the onboard
charger was required to be replaced. The Technician removed
and replaced the onboard charger, and performed a HV
integrity check."

Then also 12V battery was depleted during service so they changed that as well.

All free of charge. My car is out of regular warranty but still has drivetrain warranty. Still I have never heard anyone getting a replacement charger from drivetrain warranty.. :)

Yeah, my 2016 MX P90D rear drive replacement took 3 months because they were waiting on that HV splitter. I wonder if they found a path to upgrade yours to save that time, but had to update the charging unit as well since they're not compatible.

Just got my 2016 MX P90DL back from service, they replaced the rear DU. Again part number 1025598-00-T, same as in previous posts..

There's some interesting things in the invoice.

First they changed the HV cabling because old cables could not be removed from DU because of corrosion:

"Technician inspected HV cables from rapid splitter to rear drive
unit . Technician noticed that cables are corroded and not
possible to remove. Technician replaced rapid splitter, HV
cables from rapid splitter to rear drive unit and HV cables from
rapid splitter to Gen 3 charger."

Then it gets more interesting.. They ended up replacing my perfectly functioning onboard charger:

"The Technician replaced HV cables from rapid splitter to the
Gen 3 charger. The technician states that due to the damaged
HV cable connection inside the onboard charger, the onboard
charger was required to be replaced. The Technician removed
and replaced the onboard charger, and performed a HV
integrity check."

Then also 12V battery was depleted during service so they changed that as well.

All free of charge. My car is out of regular warranty but still has drivetrain warranty. Still I have never heard anyone getting a replacement charger from drivetrain warranty.. :)

I got new front axles and a steering rack when they did my front motor under warranty. They are pretty good about collateral damage from warranted DU failures.