Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive Unit Version

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I just had the replacement with the same model.

I wonder, anyone could share why your unit got replaced? Mine is having problem with the alert of "Power Reduced" show on the front panel. Then a very weak power to accelerate, also cannot going up hill. At the end repair engineer said it is the motor/engine issue. The old unit is 1002633-01-E

Milling sound

I just got a new drive unit installed today and its a Q version. So I guess that's still the top version.

The Q drive unit replaced the N version that was installed in 2015 which was a replacement for the
B version that originally came with my car.

For the record I have never broke down anywhere because of a drive unit failure. Tesla just updated the drive unit (both times) because they're awesome that way.

Mine had a rumble going on, which was diagnosed as drive shafts, but on closer inspection they realised the drive unit was dead as well. All replaced under warranty at 40,000 miles (P85 2014). I have now done another 15,000 on the new unit, and so far it seems pretty good, and definitely much quieter.

Old thread I know,but I just had another drive unit installed 7/8/2020. I am fairly easy on the car. I wonder how much the drive units will cost when the 8 year warrantee is out?

PN: 1025598-00-T

The old one failed isolation testing once towed to the service center from my house.

Old thread I know,but I just had another drive unit installed 7/8/2020. I am fairly easy on the car. I wonder how much the drive units will cost when the 8 year warrantee is out?

PN: 1025598-00-T

The old one failed isolation testing once towed to the service center from my house.

Thanks for posting this. Was the car towed to the SC because of DU failure? Any chance you recall the mileage and the PN of your old one?

I had mine (P85+) replaced at the end of April. Here are the parts:

Correction: Drive Unit - Rear - Large (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
ASY,HARN,EPB CONNECTOR COVER(1030201-00-A) 2.0
Side Motor Mount Assembly(1028034-00-B) 1.0
ASY,P-TRAIN,RMN,MDLS,SPORT,CMC,HS(1025598-00-
T)

ASY,HV COVER,INVERTER(1003783-00-B) 3.0

I have noticed a loud whistling noise at certain speeds ever since the unit was replaced. Haven't yet scheduled another appointment.

Our 11/2013 built S85 had the drive unit replaced at 89K miles on 1/10/2020. There was a "whirring" sound (sounded like a Sci-Fi sound effect) that would increase in pitch as the car increased in speed. I was certain it was a bearing issue; they swapped the whole drive unit after the review of the logs found an alert caused by an internal fault. They gave me a Q-series drive unit.

ASY,P-TRAIN,RMN,MDLS,BASE,CMC,HS,FA2+(1025276-00-Q)

12/2013 build S85

65k miles

Second DU replacement. Easy on car, garaged. Had iso failure, car drove fine before failure and drove fine to the service appt.

Feels more powerful but I'm not sure because my loaner was an X on Chill mode. Either way, I'm concerned about being out of my DU and battery warranty next year.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
12/2013 build S85

65k miles

Second DU replacement. Easy on car, garaged. Had iso failure, car drove fine before failure and drove fine to the service appt.

Feels more powerful but I'm not sure because my loaner was an X on Chill mode. Either way, I'm concerned about being out of my DU and battery warranty next year.

My concern as well. Mine has been replaced once in 2017 @37k miles. I have only about 11K on the replaced DU:
ASY,P-TRAIN,MECH,COMPLETE,RC (1002633-00-Q)

The car has been getting the same pampering treatment as yours from day 1.

Reactions: ShibbyRomes
Just had my drive unit replaced on 2013 Model S. with new part ASY,P-TRAIN, RMN,MDLS, BASE,CMC,HS,FA2+ (1025276-00-Q)
Car stopped and Drive indicator turned red. Towed to Tesla and interesting diagnosis:
Upon removal of High Voltage cover for inspection, found water/coolant present compromising drive unit integrity.
Removed and replaced drive unit and performed coolant system purge.

Anyone else heard of water/coolant ingress in drive unit?

• Informative
2014 P85D, 101k miles, located in AZ.

Original rear drive unit replaced Jan 2019 at 52K miles due to performance degradation - car was unable to exceed 132MPH. Drive unit was found to have an internal fault and was replaced with remanufactured part number 1025598-00-P.

Yesterday while driving ~40MPH car gave warnings for low supply voltage, car will not restart, power reduced, unable to drive. Car was towed to Tesla Tempe. Informed today that drive unit will again be replaced due to internal failure, this time with a NEW (confirmed not remanufactured) part number 1002633-01-T.

Car will be in the shop until next Friday Oct 2 for repair.

They are also replacing driver’s door handle which stopped presenting when pressed, cost of this repair is only $279 which is a big reduction from the same door repair in the past...good to see cost coming down on this!

• Informative
2014 P85D, 101k miles, located in AZ.

Original rear drive unit replaced Jan 2019 at 52K miles due to performance degradation - car was unable to exceed 132MPH. Drive unit was found to have an internal fault and was replaced with remanufactured part number 1025598-00-P.

Yesterday while driving ~40MPH car gave warnings for low supply voltage, car will not restart, power reduced, unable to drive. Car was towed to Tesla Tempe. Informed today that drive unit will again be replaced due to internal failure, this time with a NEW (confirmed not remanufactured) part number 1002633-01-T.

Car will be in the shop until next Friday Oct 2 for repair.

They are also replacing driver’s door handle which stopped presenting when pressed, cost of this repair is only $279 which is a big reduction from the same door repair in the past...good to see cost coming down on this!

How did you show the service adviser that your car unable to exceed 132MPH?