Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver’s door ambient light only works when open.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My ‘new to me‘ Model S 2017 75D has interior ambient lights in all doors below the armrests. They work as they should in general and are controllable from the lights screen as per the manual. However the drivers door ambient light only works when the door is opened whereas all others are on all the time as I wish them to be.

This has been discussed before but in these old threads the advice is to check if the puddle light in the handle of the offending door isn't on when in the extended position but is instead on when closed suggesting that two cables are crossed over inside. However the puddle light works just fine as it should.

be aware that I’m in the UK so my drivers door is front right as we‘re right hand drive over here.

Any help appreciated.

I have a similar situation with a 2015 Model S 85D (in the United States). The rear right door ambient light did not illuminate at all (I believe even when the door was opened). I recently took it to service and they replaced the light. However, now both the rear left and right door only illuminate when the doors are open. Both the front left and right ambient lights are on all the time (with ambient light turned on). Previously my rear left door ambient light was illuminated even with the door closed, so it's weird that it doesn't now. I'm assuming all the door ambient lights should be on when enabled in the menu - can anyone confirm that behavior?

Reactions: jimbo_hippo
I have a similar situation with a 2015 Model S 85D (in the United States). The rear right door ambient light did not illuminate at all (I believe even when the door was opened). I recently took it to service and they replaced the light. However, now both the rear left and right door only illuminate when the doors are open. Both the front left and right ambient lights are on all the time (with ambient light turned on). Previously my rear left door ambient light was illuminated even with the door closed, so it's weird that it doesn't now. I'm assuming all the door ambient lights should be on when enabled in the menu - can anyone confirm that behavior?
From this comment and my findings in other posts it seems it depends on which way the wind is blowing and what socks you put on today, right Shred? Ha!

I have a 2012 Model S 85 and the ambient lights will all remain on (all doors) with doors closed when enabled on the touch screen

Reactions: jimbo_hippo
My ‘new to me‘ Model S 2017 75D has interior ambient lights in all doors below the armrests. They work as they should in general and are controllable from the lights screen as per the manual. However the drivers door ambient light only works when the door is opened whereas all others are on all the time as I wish them to be.

This has been discussed before but in these old threads the advice is to check if the puddle light in the handle of the offending door isn't on when in the extended position but is instead on when closed suggesting that two cables are crossed over inside. However the puddle light works just fine as it should.

be aware that I’m in the UK so my drivers door is front right as we‘re right hand drive over here.

Any help appreciated.

Sounds like you ambient light is plugged in to the door light that is on the very bottom of the door (that shines on the ground). If you swap those plugs out, I'm guessing it'll work fine. Those plugs in the door look very similar and it sounds like someone at one point had the door apart and didn't plug them back in correctly.